383 into 70 Dart Swinger

-

howco4

Reaction score
Hi folks: I have access to a pretty decent 383 for $200. I know this subject has been run up the flagpole before, but, other then suspension and brakes, what other problems might I encounter with a conversion. My 70 Swinger already has a V8 K-frame. Howard

Mounts, exhaust, and a transmission, and kickdown linkage if needed. If you use the 400 style water pump housing, the radiator should work too if it's in good shape. I've used the factopry 318 bars in a 383 before. In fact, the LA V8 is only about 100lbs lighter than the B wedge when dressed the same.

The Dart was originally a /6, so the torsion bars are a given. The V8 k-frame is not an original install. Are the motor mounts of the "adapter type", or are they std 383 issue? I'm assuming that the sm & large blk 727 do not have the same bellhousing? I will also be going with an aftermarket shifter. (I do have a 340, however, I've decided to save it for my 340 Duster, which presently does not have a motor). I'm used to working with non-mopar street rods, and these questions usually were not an issue. Howard

You'll need a big block trans. Pretty sure you'll need conversion mounts. I think the big block K-member is a whole different animal.

contact Schumacher Creative services. They sell the mounts that you'll need also a very nice set of headers for this swap. I have them on my duster.

Thanks for the put. I've been itemizing all the info I've found so far. This seems like a fairly do-able thing. Will have to locate a tranny though. I do like the rumble of the big blocks. Howard

I'm going to pick up the 383 tomorrow. I expect to be tearing it down to check the condition of the motor. My wife is gone to montana for three days, so I will be able to move it into the garage during daylight hours, (just kidding). I think the first procurement will be torsion bars, (the pass side one has a pretty severe gouge in it). With the fenders off the car and the engine bay empty, it will be a good time to put them in. Howard

100_0983.jpg

I didn't hear anyone mention sub frame connectors which you'll certainly need and if you don't have an 8 3/4" rear then you'll need one of those to. The 8 1/4 won't survive believe me I found out the hard way. With a little messaging you can make that 383 rev like a small block with the torque of a BB.

Terry

Brought the 383 home yesterday. Well, I guess I got my $200 worth. Pulled the heads, and found three cylinders that had water in them from condensation. The "Dunderhead" that sold me the engine, removed the intake manifold, and did not cover the intake ports. In our climate, thats a very dumb move. They seemed to clean up reasonably well, with some minor pitting below the compression ring @ TDC. I can live with that. The motor is a 1967 C casting, bored .30 over. Overall, the motor shows minimal wear. Will dress up the valves, re-cam it, and run it. (rebore and pistons are not in my budget right now). Howard

Note: the car already had an 8 3/4. Will consider subframe connectors when it up and running. Thanks

-
Back