383 or 413 advise

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 69 383 B motor complete that i am planning on putting in my 68 Valiant. It turns over freely and has good compresion but I do not know the history.
I have been having a hard time tracking down a BB-727 for it. I did not get the flex plate with it so I was hoping to buy a tranny T-converter and flexplate that came together from the factory so I know they will all work on the first shot.

I found a good running 413 from an unknown year motorhome that comes with the 727 behind it. 100 bucks for the whole set up. I want to purchase this so I can use the tranny, t-converter and flexplate.

My question is will this transmission/flex/t-converter bolt up to my 383? Or would the 413 be a better motor all together.

Any advise is much appreciated

68 Valiant

The transmission from the 413 should bolt up to you 383 unless that 413 is a super early engine. Odds are it will be fine.

A passenger 413 will work just fine in an A body car. The 413 was also made in a truck version and you wouldn't want to install one of those in an A body car.

You might want to buy a few books on big block Mopar engines before you spend too much more money. Just click on Amazon.com and search for Mopar big block. You'll find 3 or 4 books which will help you with these questions.

Check that trans! Prior to 1965 727's had cable actuated park brakes and valve bodies, and no slip yoke on front of drive shaft. You don't want one of these.

Some of the motor home trans have the parking brake and the bolt on driveshaft. I hear pistons with decent compression are hard to come by for the 413 too without a custom set. Most HD 413 only had around 7.5-1 or so compression for durability. I almost bought one but decided it would be cheaper to stick to my 383

-
Back