383 pulleys....

-

Shmaako

Reaction score
History:
Bought 67 barracuda, had motor rebuilt...very mild (almost factroy regarding HP)
Purchased new Cold Case radiator (H x W : 16" X 22), 1 3/4" hoses, new thermostat 160*, 6 blade 18 1/2" fan.
Water pump pulley is 7"
Crank pulley is 7 1/2"
No shroud

Overheats on hot days when I am in heavy traffic, (hitting over 230*). Spills antifreeze all over when I shut her down :mad:
When on hwy on hot days...she runs 190* which I am very happy with obviously.
Figure I need to make a shroud....as I am building it I am wondering if the pulleys are the correct size...reading forums regarding 'over' and 'under' etc..
Anyone have advice on proper pulley size?
rad.jpg
...or should I simply keep fabricating a shroud for my issue.

Imo, or in my case, no shroud needed, I have a factory 22" radiator, stock pulleys, not sure of the size but factory correct original, put a Derale 18" fan on a Hayden clutch, the short one made for Mopars, both from summit.
I don't even have room for a shroud, and when I started a thread on this years ago, that was pointed out to me.
383 tunnel ram, drive it all the time, anywhere, 90+ summer heat.

Is the water pump stock? Better cooling can be had with an improved water pump like Flow Cooler. Is the lower hose new? Does it have an inner spring to prevent it from collapsing?

History:
Bought 67 barracuda, had motor rebuilt...very mild (almost factroy regarding HP)
Purchased new Cold Case radiator (H x W : 16" X 22), 1 3/4" hoses, new thermostat 160*, 6 blade 18 1/2" fan.
Water pump pulley is 7"
Crank pulley is 7 1/2"
No shroud

Overheats on hot days when I am in heavy traffic, (hitting over 230*). Spills antifreeze all over when I shut her down :mad:
When on hwy on hot days...she runs 190* which I am very happy with obviously.
Figure I need to make a shroud....as I am building it I am wondering if the pulleys are the correct size...reading forums regarding 'over' and 'under' etc..
Anyone have advice on proper pulley size?
View attachment 1715877168 ...or should I simply keep fabricating a shroud for my issue.
I'm in Tampa, I have NEVER had a mill overheat. YES, please build a shroud. Please make SURE the fan blades are mid-point. As mentioned above, old hoses, Like Women, Can Look good, but be ruined inside. They collapse from within under pressure. No disrespect to all the Good Women (and hoses) out there

On small blocks with ac the water pump pulley is smaller, so the water pump is overdriven. I think the ratio is 120%, which is about a 5.5 inch pulley I think.

I made a shroud for my cold case radiator out of a slant six one turned upside down. The are lots of threads on shrouds. Search for cold case shroud.

Make sure your fan is half in / half out of the shroud. I learned this the hard way.

Water pump is stock. However, the hoses worked so I simply reused them.
Hmmm better rule that out and get new!

I will ensure fan is halfway....just hope that makes enough of a difference.
Gonna be hard as the fan blade is currently 1/2" away from top hose already!

Clutch fits and makes a big difference.
Hoses are for a 68 383 Barracuda as they don't make the 67 upper hose. Iirc I had to trim a few inches off the hose, and possibly flip it.

20180617_144433.jpg

First off put in at least a 180 T stat. I run a 195. There is a few different sizes of w/p and crank pulleys. A shroud is a very good idea. Kim

I do not believe he has room for a clutch drive fan. The Hayden #2947 is 2 3/4" deep.

Made a shroud from fibreglass using a tee shirt over a mold technique..1 3/4" thick shroud and fan blades halfway...can't wait to get her runnin on a hot summer day to see if there is any fruit to my labour.
Gonna have to wait for a bit up where I live tho...

Not familiar with big block clearance, but from his picture, the spacered fixed fan looked close with the cold case radiator.
With my small block '69 Dart, #2947 Hayden clutch, and Cold Case radiator, I had to chuck my aluminum water pump for the '69 cast iron pump, it's 3/4" shorter. I needed the radiator anyway, so got the proper Cold Case, inlet is on the opposite side of the aluminum pump. Do not know if you have that option with the big block.
Follow up, my Milodon water pump failed in under 500 miles, am in the process of installing a same Flowkooler pump right now.
Looks like the OP is going to try a shroud with what he has first.

-
Back