383 Rod Bearing Clearance

-

Dragonsteel

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the min-max rod bearing clearance is supposed to be on 1970 383 with a cast crank. Looked around on the net and i'm not coming up with any answers.

It's listed in the "specs" in the back of the engine section in the factory service manuals. You can download 'em free at MyMopar.

Probably .0015- .003. Most all engines use that spec. I like .002-.0025 myself. Middle of the road so to speak. .003-.004 is pretty loose. Good for a high rpm race engine with heavy oil.

Probably .0015- .003. Most all engines use that spec. I like .002-.0025 myself. Middle of the road so to speak. .003-.004 is pretty loose. Good for a high rpm race engine with heavy oil.
Thanks Mike,

I was coming up with .001 on my plasti gauge readings and it had me concerned.

I had a couple on my 273 that were tight. The best thing to do is check them all and use undersized bearings to get where you need to be. If you have a couple with undersized bearings it won't hurt a thing. The factory did it all the time. I found a couple 1 under bearings when I took my stocker apart.

Make sure the inside of the rod journal is clean and the back of the bearing halves and re check them. Are you using oil on the bearings?

-
Back