383 running hot

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
Down at the beach for cruise week, my cars running a little hot. It take long to get to 180-190, ittl hang there for a while then start to climb, I hit 205 last night and pulled over to let it cool down.
Steel head .030 383
11:1 running cam 2
Champion 3 core radiator
Mezeir electric water pump no thermostat
16" fan.
Idling and cruising still builds heat, it cools off pretty fast but temps come right back up

Then either the radiator is too small or the water pump don't have enough GPH.

That's about all it can, unless you got a head gasket or cracked a head but your not saying it's down a hole and missing...are you?

I can't think of a real nice way to say this so I'll just blurt it out;
Put a real pump on it, a real fan and a real thermostat. Then you can have a real nice cruise. A thermostatic fan clutch is a real bonus.
The last sentence in your post says it all. It says you need more airflow and more waterflo through the rad, and the no stat is usually a bad idea.
Get the temp under control, and maybe you can run pump gas.

I've been running 205* in my 367 for over 125,000 miles. No more no less. 205* all the time. In traffic, on the hottest days, or parading in first or winding it out, to 7200,time after time after time, or burning down the hiway at 110 for several hours.It cares not a bit.I almost never look at the gauge anymore........
My rad is a pos 26" oem A/C rad from circa 1973.It's got more patches on it than did the tires on the first bicycle I ever bought with my own money.
I run 87E10 at 10.7Scr with aluminum heads and full timing.
There may be other ways to skin your cat but this is what I know works .In case you might think my sbm is a lo-po it goes 93 in the 1/8th in a big fat 68 FormulaS fb.; 3650 pounds meinit.

Last edited:
These engines like a 195 T-Stat to keep pressure in the heads and cycle coolant properly without getting steam pockets.

To both of ya, that's hat I thought....I'm going to go back to a standard style waterpump and fan, and I'll get a thermostat in it. Thanks! Now if I can get this fuel issue solved I'll be in business

You need a Milodon or Flowkooler pump. You need as many GPM as you can get. It's about flow. Even though ebooger would disagree with me on that!

2nd the Milodon. Haven't run the flowkooler but if I buy a BB pump it's the Milodon.

Well I ended up tuning the carb a little, and advanced the timing. And that reallllllllly helped it out, ran solid at 180 and picked up a little head sitting in traffic. But would go back down. I still think I'm going to go back to a "old" style setup with a belt pump

Well I ended up tuning the carb a little, and advanced the timing. And that reallllllllly helped it out, ran solid at 180 and picked up a little head sitting in traffic. But would go back down. I still think I'm going to go back to a "old" style setup with a belt pump

Slow timing makes heat.

-
Back