383 starts but will not run...

-

JKicker

Jimmy
Reaction score
Hey guys I've just spent the last 2 months swapping a slant six for a 383 in my 67 Dart. Today I finally received and installed my new schumacher headers and now when I tried to start the car it will start but will not run?

I am using a new electronic distributor, box, and resister. I have power to the balast resister in the run and start position and power to the coil in the start position, but do not have power to the coil or distributor in the run position.

Should I have power to the coil and/or distributor in the run position?

Can you post what/ how you wired? Is this a new Mopar ignition, with the 2 terminal ballast?

If you REALLY have power to the ballast in "run" then either the ballast is bad or something is wired wrong

Yes, it's a new mopar ignition with the 2 terminal ballast resistor.

It is wired like this.

Wire from negative side of coil to electronic control box.

Hot Start wire to ballast resistor and then to positive side of coil.

Run/Hot wire to other side of ballast resistor to control box.

I have power to both sides of the resister (Start/Run) but no power to the coil or distributor except when starting the car? I've already replaced the ballast resistor with no luck...

Should be just like this

THERE ARE SOME DIAGRAMS that show you looking "into" the connector instead of "looking down" on it. Any chance you have the connector miswired:

wiring.jpg

See the difference? the diagram below is looking "into the front" of the connector, so it's a "mirror."

e-ign1.gif

Is it important to connect them at the ballast resistor, or can you connect them anywhere prior to the ballast resistor? This is the only thing I am doing different?

Is it important to connect them at the ballast resistor, or can you connect them anywhere prior to the ballast resistor? This is the only thing I am doing different?

"them"? what?

Don't understand...........the ballast would seem to be the easiest place.

My mopar buddy here said it wouldn't matter if I tied into the blue/yellow wire with the run wire just before the ballast resister and the same for the start ignition wire?

Hey guys I've just spent the last 2 months swapping a slant six for a 383 in my 67 Dart. Today I finally received and installed my new schumacher headers and now when I tried to start the car it will start but will not run?

I am using a new electronic distributor, box, and resister. I have power to the balast resister in the run and start position and power to the coil in the start position, but do not have power to the coil or distributor in the run position.

Should I have power to the coil and/or distributor in the run position?

Sounds like a bad resisiter

-
Back