383 Stock Stroke Build

-

D&R Const

Reaction score
Hey guys, finally getting parts flowing for my build, I was really on the fence about doing a 360, or a 383. I chose to go with a 383, I will save the small block parts for another day. I will get pics up as soon as parts start arriving. I am waiting for the rods to show up before I take the block to machine shop. I am building on a 1968 383 with a steel crank. I decided to go with 440 length rods for the simple reason that they are readily available, in stock everywhere, and are available with .990 pin. Rods are Eagle P/N CRS6760B3D. I will be using Diamond Pistons P/N 51907. At this point I am not sure what the final bore size will be. For a small fee, Diamond will move the piston pin to your desired specs. The plan is to have the block square decked and remove as minimal material as possible, then order the pistons with the necessary compression height to place the piston at zero deck. I ordered a cam and lifter kit from Lunati, P/N 30230740. Specs are 235*/243*, .526"/546" using a 1.5 rocker arm ratio. I will be using 1.6 Crane, Ductile iron rockers. I originally was going to stick to 1.5 ratio, but 1.6 was all they had on the shelf at this time. Theoretical lift will be .561"/ .582".

Now, for the part that I am most excited about, I ordered a set of prepped 440 Source Heads from Jim LaRoy (IQ52), he is going to do his normal prep work to them, install beehive springs for my cam, and install tool steel spring retainers. He is also going to mill the heads to get the chamber size down to 75cc. A 75cc chamber will put me right over 10:1 compression ratio with stock stroke, and flat top piston. He is also going to clearance the push rod holes to clear the 1.6 ratio arms, and 3/8" push rods. I am really really excited about these heads.

I don't know what intake I will be using just yet, I am open to suggestions, as long as it will fit under the stock hood of my '73 Duster.

I have no realistic guess as to what power will be, but I hope it is a lot of fun.

Sounds like a great build. I love a stock stroke 383.

Excellent! Looking foward to this build.
This B family of engines thinks it is a small block with its short stroke but with that big bore, whoa!

Just keep focus on weight reduction on that engine and get the weight down to small block levels!
The same with the nose of the car.

Does anyone here have the weight specs of a 383 with aluminum heads/intake? I will weigh the all-iron 318 when it does come out. The 383 will be going in at the same time as an AlterKtion front clip, in an effort to add handling,drop weight.

You can get an aluminum water pump housing also, the cast Iron one is a heavy SOB.

Does anyone here have the weight specs of a 383 with aluminum heads/intake? I will weigh the all-iron 318 when it does come out. The 383 will be going in at the same time as an AlterKtion front clip, in an effort to add handling,drop weight.

There's only about 150 pounds between a 360 and a 440. So, there's less than that between a 318 and 383. It's nowhere near what everybody thinks. Add the intake, water pump housing and water pump in aluminum and you are at small block weight with the 383. Adding heads and you are even less.

Great. I forgot about the water pump housing and water pump. I am assuming that that much aluminum in the cooling system will aid in temperature control no?

if you can find one for a b block, the holley street dominator intake is hard to beat and will fit under your hood. that's what's on my 383. I use a motor plate and with a 1" carb spacer I can fit a small air cleaner

Great. I forgot about the water pump housing and water pump. I am assuming that that much aluminum in the cooling system will aid in temperature control no?

I think that's splittin hairs. You should rely on the radiator for all the heat transfer.Get a good one.

I noticed a slight cooling difference with aluminum pump and housing, the majority of cooling is thanks to the big champion 3 core

I would think that the CC2374 is the one you're looking for. Its listed as 67-69 Dart, but ithas the inlet and outlets on the proper side for a big block and the dimensions should fit the 73 Duster.

You're going to love that AlterKation.

That cam looks decent. I think you'll be surprised how well your car will get around.

I am using an ancient Edelbrock #CB4B fits under hood great . The downside is that it has a heat crossover . To make your 383 come alive you really need a single plane but hood clearance may be an issue .

It's alright. I'm a fan of the performer RPM.

Stay away from the Indy intake.

Now, for the part that I am most excited about, I ordered a set of prepped 440 Source Heads from Jim LaRoy (IQ52), he is going to do his normal prep work to them, install beehive springs for my cam, and install tool steel spring retainers. He is also going to mill the heads to get the chamber size down to 75cc. A 75cc chamber will put me right over 10:1 compression ratio with stock stroke, and flat top piston. He is also going to clearance the push rod holes to clear the 1.6 ratio arms, and 3/8" push rods. I am really really excited about these heads.
Excellent move.

Do you feel it hurts performance while using a square bore carb?

I have no realistic guess as to what power will be, but I hope it is a lot of fun.

Nobody really knows until you get it together and see. But look at the specs on this 7.5:1 compression 400 that made 400 lb-ft and 360 HP @ 5,100 rpm.

The slug 400 on the dyno.

You have 20 degrees bigger camshaft, 40 cfm more flow at maximum lift, 2.5 points more compression and the ability to rev to a much higher rpm. Another 100 HP is certainly possible. Dream big.

Do you feel it hurts performance while using a square bore carb?

Ideally you weld it up and reshape it for the 4150, which is what we do. But it works fine just like it is.

It's alright. I'm a fan of the performer RPM

Yep. This is sure what I would run if it fit where I wanted it to go. You cannot know how good a manifold this is until you test it. Then port it and it still betters the Victor down low and stays with the Victor to 6,000 rpm.

I run a torker on my 69 383. I love it. I've heard the rpm was a better intake but honestly I doubt I would notice the difference.

-
Back