383 turbo build questions??????

-

demon1515

Reaction score
Well no more 383 intentions, too much PITA to find what i want, and no more turbo setup for now,

A 440 build is on the procces and all in pump gas setup and N/A (FOR NOW) if i think more is needed i'll do the change in the future!

You should make at least 300-350 h.p on the engine alone and let the turbo's do the rest. I'd say your safe on h.p levels because your only going to hit those peak #'s under full boost.The rest of the time you'll be in the 350-450 range.

Boost is also different in that peak boost occurs when the piston is at the bottom of the power stroke,ie; when the cylinder volume is at it's most. Therefor,whatever pressure is in that area is also spread out over the entire surface area. Dont worry,that motor should last a long time. The 400 block would be a better choice if you want the strongest mopar bb.

Yes i know about the 400 b Block, and the reason of been in the 450 at low boost levels is the option to be at about 700+ whp if needed but i dont think i'll be in that range or better said i wont risk to be in that power level with the 383 block untill i score a good 400 block to test the 383 capability, in the Dyno and then the track, but not looking to have a race car only, i am planning to do it using E-85 fuel too cuz it is a gas station next to me that always carry it!
Anyway i am going to follow the 300 to 400 HP range at low to no boost you sudgest and then going from there.

I am still looking to find some good source of turbo cam for my needs thats the priority right now!

Is 9 or 9.5:1 what you want with a turbo? I would think you would want a blower piston, with a dish at about 8:1, and a flat area to still give you quench, even more important to you with the hot, compressed air.

Is 9 or 9.5:1 what you want with a turbo? I would think you would want a blower piston, with a dish at about 8:1, and a flat area to still give you quench, even more important to you with the hot, compressed air.
Really i dont want that low of a compression ratio, i dont want to lack of to much off the boost power and really dont want to boosted too much eather to reach my goal also i will be running a intercooler to compensate for too much heat on the intake charge. what you think?

Yes i know about the 400 b Block, and the reason of been in the 450 at low boost levels is the option to be at about 700+ whp if needed but i dont think i'll be in that range or better said i wont risk to be in that power level with the 383 block untill i score a good 400 block to test the 383 capability, in the Dyno and then the track, but not looking to have a race car only, i am planning to do it using E-85 fuel too cuz it is a gas station next to me that always carry it!
Anyway i am going to follow the 300 to 400 HP range at low to no boost you sudgest and then going from there.

I am still looking to find some good source of turbo cam for my needs thats the priority right now!
http://www.crower.com/misc/m_cat.shtml
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-6901/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K6401/

I'm using the summit cam{114} lsa on my 360 mainly For low rpm tq and idle vacum.
I have used this cam on several b/rb with 8to1 comp they pull like freight trains up till about the area where your turbo starts making boost a little small on lift but not an issue with Boost a little porting on the exhaust side should be good for 550-600 @ the crank with 8-10 psi Plus the manners while driving low rpm's not under boost will be great~
Take a look at the crower cam list for boost look alot like that summit/jeggs cam ~

There are a few articles on big block blowers, like this one:
Mopar 440 Engine Supercharger Installation - 875 HP Procharged 440
They started with a 10:1 motor, used shims to drop to 8:1, and dynoed the comparison without the blower, and got 421HP@5600RPM. Not bad for an 8:1 motor and a cam designed for a blower. I'm sure you would have plenty of power at 8:1. More than enough to get traction problems. When you start getting traction, the turbo will be pushing, so best of both worlds.

There are a few articles on big block blowers, like this one:
Mopar 440 Engine Supercharger Installation - 875 HP Procharged 440
They started with a 10:1 motor, used shims to drop to 8:1, and dynoed the comparison without the blower, and got 421HP@5600RPM. Not bad for an 8:1 motor and a cam designed for a blower. I'm sure you would have plenty of power at 8:1. More than enough to get traction problems. When you start getting traction, the turbo will be pushing, so best of both worlds.

Awesome Read there, i can tell you this is very diferent from the imports, i have done 1000 whp on 2jz engines and 9.0 CR but this is amaizing i can get real close with pump gas, and i cant imagin if i use race gas ufffff this is getting interesting i am getting the swing too quick and i like it!

http://www.crower.com/misc/m_cat.shtml
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-6901/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K6401/

I'm using the summit cam{114} lsa on my 360 mainly For low rpm tq and idle vacum.
I have used this cam on several b/rb with 8to1 comp they pull like freight trains up till about the area where your turbo starts making boost a little small on lift but not an issue with Boost a little porting on the exhaust side should be good for 550-600 @ the crank with 8-10 psi Plus the manners while driving low rpm's not under boost will be great~
Take a look at the crower cam list for boost look alot like that summit/jeggs cam ~

Yeap i did see those profile and compare "em prety simmilar, HAHAHAA this is getting very interesting and now i am in a point of no return about this turbo thing on the 383,
I want to know if the blow tru carb setup is really consistent, i use to deal with blow tru Webber carbs and they runn prety good but not too consistent at all, so who can shime in about how good those blow tru holleys are and wich are the best choice?

Well i find myself in a litlle bind on locating low compression forged pistons for a 383 B engine kind of odd i can find all for 440 and 400 but for 383 thats suposed to be the bread and butter for chrysler i cand find a good afordable set to get at least 9.0 to 1 CR.
Can someone point me in the right direction to get those?

It sounds like a plan is forming. Do yourself a huge favour and buy a book called maximum boost by Corky Bell. It's a good read and will help you build a scratch system.

I like the efi/megasquirt idea. I like it so much that I'll let you in on a secrect. This is my plan for my 470 stroker! To this end I have already collected one chev tbi off a 350. My cid demands 2,so Im still looking to scrounge another. Turboing my 470 isnt out of the question either,but I have zero towards this idea.

I really like the idea of a 1000 h.p stroker though..but I have to seriously rethink my chassis plan for that much power,lol..

Well i find myself in a litlle bind on locating low compression forged pistons for a 383 B engine kind of odd i can find all for 440 and 400 but for 383 thats suposed to be the bread and butter for chrysler i cand find a good afordable set to get at least 9.0 to 1 CR.
Can someone point me in the right direction to get those?

Have you ever called Diamond or Ross for quotes on custom piston applications. I believe they can make you whatever you need. I also am interested in building a turbo motor. Same boat trying to locate pistons.
Just a thought

B

Good Luck, Keep us informed on the progress!

Guess you'll need to build a 400. Ever hear of Megasquirt DIY EFI?
Never like it and excuse me for this but i consider the megasquirt a fail to happen, not that i havent see people that have good result with it but, i always said; a Stand alone system is as good as the one behind the programming, me bieng a Microtech dealer and have test both systems, really wont even give the MS a try, and thats just my opinion about it, i dont like it!

It sounds like a plan is forming. Do yourself a huge favour and buy a book called maximum boost by Corky Bell. It's a good read and will help you build a scratch system.

I like the efi/megasquirt idea. I like it so much that I'll let you in on a secrect. This is my plan for my 470 stroker! To this end I have already collected one chev tbi off a 350. My cid demands 2,so Im still looking to scrounge another. Turboing my 470 isnt out of the question either,but I have zero towards this idea.

I really like the idea of a 1000 h.p stroker though..but I have to seriously rethink my chassis plan for that much power,lol..
Well i really apresiate your advise but, that Corcky bell guy is a JOKE in my personal Opinion, a guy that try to sell you a turbo blow tru carb for a 4 bangger for $4000+ to achive just 6 to 10 PSI of boost is a JOKE in my books i have been in the 5.57 1/8 mile zone on carb blow tru system using a 1.8 toyota 3tc hemi making more than 570whp at 43PSI of BOOST i know my turbos but never picked it in a V8 domestic engine and thats why all my questions and hope you guys can understand and respect that,
For real sometimes you cant just go just by the book, just cuz some people cant do it dont mean you cant eather, that is my personal experience with imports and if it can work there why not in the V8's i am starting with a street car who knows whats future brings but when i start with the imports back in the 80's people said the same it cant be done and i do it, now i said; is time for the domestic camp and i choose the brand i like MOPAR!
I am just a ol fart from Puerto Rico that has good luck with imports specially on the toyota ol school 3tc hemi engines.
i hope i got the same luck with the TURBO MOPARS.

here are some of my builds from PR!
springbreakvacationsinPR028.jpg

springbreakvacationsinPR041.jpg

S5302975.jpg

S5302460.jpg

S5302451.jpg

springbreakvacationsinPR037.jpg

And some videos!
This is a litlle 3TC Turbo Starlet drag racer best times at the 1/8 mile 5.90 on test and tune not reach its sweet spot yet, still working on it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZMsTnkRox0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0SSR4sz_Ls

This is a stock chassis 3TC Turbo TE72 i was tunning at the Dyno on one of my vacations in PR this car has done 5.57 in the 1/8 of mile @ 127 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_KoLu9U_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-24guTnTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWREoiiza4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ54Q6mMk98
A 5.65 pass at the 1/8 clip!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS6LWA6Ztuk&feature=channel_page

This is an other 3TC Turbo TE72 but 3/4 chassis i was tunning the same day as the last one with a best of 8.23 on the 1/4 mile @ 173 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBqsEBEwPo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgPzh6cabpc

So you were waiting for someone to offer more indepth advise so you could piss on them?

Looks like you dont need my advise but I say go back to Toyota....

Those PR cars a crazy...lol I havent seen them run in person but there's a bunch of guys around me that run them and a couple of locals consider their cars the fastest around. Note I dont... but they do...lol. However, building a Japanese engine for a turbo is SIMPLE compared to the old V8s. What I would suggest is you get used to spending or at least listening. You're familiar with stand alone EFi. So why on earth would you want to risk a build with a blow thru setup? A blow thru at low boost with no IC is a PITA to get right. The IC makes it much harder. I've worked with Procharged blow thrus and as soon as the IC was added the fuel curve went out of the range of the carb's ability to work. If MS isnt you're cup of tea, why not use one setup you are familiar with? 8cyl vs 4cyl should be a simple click on the mouse for it. On the pistons... You wont find cheap 383 pistons. It's known as the step-child of mopar and as such they dont support it well. I would suggest you plan to spend the cash on good forged pistons and better rods. As for the block prep... main caps, studs, and a girdle are what I'd do on a 383. The 400 I wouldnt use the girdle as the block is much stronger where it needs to be. You make power with a turbo on boost, and you need room for that boost. So I'd be looking at a custom blower piston around 8:1 with the rings moved down a little to keep the heat away. I'd run gapless rings on it and it should be a custom cam. You'll want to contact Bullet or Scott Brown on that. At least that's who I'd talk to. In any event, with the IC plumbing, exh header/manifolding, and various engine parts saying "cheap" and "turbo" with V8 is almost a joke. A cheap V8 turbo that runs well still costs a ton compared to those little buzz bombs.

So you were waiting for someone to offer more indepth advise so you could piss on them?

Looks like you dont need my advise but I say go back to Toyota....

Noooo my friend you get it wrong, i did really need your advise guys, so i can compare, and do my own reaserch, as i did before with the imports, there is no need to be upset, and by no means i will be pissing on anybody, and also no need to tell me to go back to toyotas when this could benefit you too, i like to share all my tricks so my friends can do the same, please i beg you accept my appologyes if you felt i was like you think, wasnt my intentions!

Those PR cars a crazy...lol I havent seen them run in person but there's a bunch of guys around me that run them and a couple of locals consider their cars the fastest around. Note I dont... but they do...lol. However, building a Japanese engine for a turbo is SIMPLE compared to the old V8s. What I would suggest is you get used to spending or at least listening. You're familiar with stand alone EFi. So why on earth would you want to risk a build with a blow thru setup? A blow thru at low boost with no IC is a PITA to get right. The IC makes it much harder. I've worked with Procharged blow thrus and as soon as the IC was added the fuel curve went out of the range of the carb's ability to work. If MS isnt you're cup of tea, why not use one setup you are familiar with? 8cyl vs 4cyl should be a simple click on the mouse for it. On the pistons... You wont find cheap 383 pistons. It's known as the step-child of mopar and as such they dont support it well. I would suggest you plan to spend the cash on good forged pistons and better rods. As for the block prep... main caps, studs, and a girdle are what I'd do on a 383. The 400 I wouldnt use the girdle as the block is much stronger where it needs to be. You make power with a turbo on boost, and you need room for that boost. So I'd be looking at a custom blower piston around 8:1 with the rings moved down a little to keep the heat away. I'd run gapless rings on it and it should be a custom cam. You'll want to contact Bullet or Scott Brown on that. At least that's who I'd talk to. In any event, with the IC plumbing, exh header/manifolding, and various engine parts saying "cheap" and "turbo" with V8 is almost a joke. A cheap V8 turbo that runs well still costs a ton compared to those little buzz bombs.
Awesome info my friend i really want to test the blow tru carb as i have seen so many of them doing so well that i am amazed and want to try it, if i dont think i like it trust me i will switch right away to EFI, and yeap the pistons will be my big hole on the pocket, and i need to deal with it cuz i like the 383 layout, Also i am going to use H beam connecting rods by eagle, is well known the 400 is way better, but i am not going for 1000 WHP at all, tops it will be 700 whp cuz i know my limitations, and this is no way a 100% race car, also is way understandable that cheap and turbo v8 wont go hand to hand, but i am trying to save as much as i can without compromising quality, trust me $10 i save is $10 saved, and with this economy the way it is, it makes a diferent, at least in my pocket, a good thing is i can fabricate all i need to get this thing going and save a ton on that also, anyway i will keep you guys updated on this project and the outcome.

I like the efi/megasquirt idea. I like it so much that I'll let you in on a secrect. This is my plan for my 470 stroker! To this end I have already collected one chev tbi off a 350. My cid demands 2,so Im still looking to scrounge another.
Holley makes a 4bbl throttle body that flows 1000CFM, and they are cheap used on eBay because the computers always take a dump, or people can't figure out the system. This would also give you the idle air servo and throttle position sensor.

I don't understand why you like the 383 so much over the 400. 400 blocks are cheap, and if you can get off the shelf pistons, as opposed to paying for custom pistons for a 383, wouldn't that be the way to go?

I don't understand why you like the 383 so much over the 400. 400 blocks are cheap, and if you can get off the shelf pistons, as opposed to paying for custom pistons for a 383, wouldn't that be the way to go?
yes you are right, but i have a nice 383 already :D so why not give it a try?

-
Back