383 with edlebrock performer RPM hood clearance

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just ordered a edelbrock performer rpm intake for my 68 Barracuda 383s I will be running a street demon 625 carb X stock air cleaner, my current setup is stock intake X 3/4" spacer X street demon 625 carb X stock air cleaner with no clearance issue. Thanks for any info

That's going to be really close, if it clears at all. My '72 Dart (low-deck, Performer RPM, NOS plate (1/2"?) and Moroso drop-base air cleaner just fits.

Edit: I missed that you were eliminating the 3/4" spacer. Not quite so tight. ;)

I just did some research and pretty sure my stock manifold height is 3.44" and the new edlebrock performer rpm intake is 5.350"
Might have to try an cancel the order

Sounds like a job for a fiberglass hood!

For your information, I have a 400 block with a Holley Street Dominator manifold, 750 DP, and a 1/4 inch heat insulating spacer under the carb. The stock air cleaner fit, but it was so close it was rattling on the hood bracing when the engine was running. I used clay and determined the clearance. I ended up trimming the bracing a little, since my car is far from stock. As you can see, the issues are at the front right corner and at the very back.

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

Thanks for the info, that's a good Tip ..
I like that you painted the intake engine color makes it look factory...
I was able to stop the order on the performer RPM Intake.. I am looking at the regular edelbrock performer but not sure if it will make much of a difference over my stock cast iron intake...
For your information, I have a 400 block with a Holley Street Dominator manifold, 750 DP, and a 1/4 inch heat insulating spacer under the carb. The stock air cleaner fit, but it was so close it was rattling on the hood bracing when the engine was running. I used clay and determined the clearance. I ended up trimming the bracing a little, since my car is far from stock. As you can see, the issues are at the front right corner and at the very back.

View attachment 1715023320

View attachment 1715023321

View attachment 1715023322

View attachment 1715023323

ended up with a special base for an aircleaner on my 69 383 dart with the rpm intake . it not in the dart anymore , test fitting headers n trans for its new holster . ended up like this , would require a bulge or scoop on the dart .
DSC07287.JPG

DSC07849.JPG

Want to use my original air cleaner so I want to see if I can modify it to work..
Mine fits. I used a drop base air cleaner. You can make it work fine. Andrew.
thanks

Most aftermarket filters are 14 inch diameter. The factory one is 13 inches I think. You will have to measure the inside diameter of the ring the filter sits on to see if you can make something else work. By the way I found the stock filter restrictive on the track (there is only about a 3/4 inch gap all the way around to draw air), so I made a second top for mine out of an old filter to use at the track.

IMG_3986.JPG

-
Back