390 vs 408

-
So 360Z28, do you reckon those 302s will flow enough to feed a swept area of 390 cui? Sorry to sound like I doubt you, but I do!! LOL!

Reason? - Ive been told by experienced people on this board that 200 cfm which is about what you'd get at .500 from a set of 302s will never feed that size engine well enough and I'd be leaving plenty of HP on the table.

If you disagree, I'd like to hear why? ...it might get some discussion happening.

i do disagree, & frankly i don't care if you don't believe me!! LOL!

I didn't assume you'd care - I reckon most wouldn't care that you don't either..... ;)

I'll let it lie anyhow - I see you got bashed over your 302s on the other thread - I ain't going there - My question was genuine, you'll KNOW when I take a "chop" at ya ;)

What, you mean like ...

Ergh........

Your a real asshole, you know that? (If you didn't, then I hope you do now.....) I left it alone, and yet, you cant. having fun?

So 360Z28, do you reckon those 302s will flow enough to feed a swept area of 390 cui? Sorry to sound like I doubt you, but I do!! LOL!

Yes, they will, mine do, you act as if it wont run.......... It will, may not be what the OP is looking for tho...... He already has 360 heads, so the point is moot anyway.

Reason? - Ive been told by experienced people on this board that 200 cfm which is about what you'd get at .500 from a set of 302s will never feed that size engine well enough and I'd be leaving plenty of HP on the table.

Exactly, lots of HP over about 4500rpm, TONS at 6K, and the 2.02 valve screws up the 302 head flow to boot.

KB 847 flat tops

Cheap......... Buy some real pistons.

Eagle crank and rods,

Cast or steel? Which rods?

Comp 282S cam 245/250 @.50

Thats it?

360 cast heads that flow 243 @.550 (2.02 valves)

And you've been ranting about head flow, lame numbers, have wild&crazy port them or something.

Compression will be about 10.2:1

What cc are your heads? Flat tops at zero deck? Try your math again bucko.

It comes down to this....................

The original poster HAS a 318, he HAS 360 heads. I said, gee, I HAVE a 390, it runs great, and some internet engine builders junp in, and try to find any reason why he needs to buy a 360 block, facts are, it would be a waste of money, right? I think so, then, you get the 302 head debate, blah blah, some nitwit said my best advice was "ergh".......... This thread is ridiculous.

To the Original poster, build the 390, you have the major pieces you need already, mine has lasted under extreme abuse, with stock 318 floating rods even, it makes great street power, jerks your head back with a stock TC, and lopiddy lopes with good vacuum, MPG, and halfway easy starting. I wish Moparmal luck with his 390, it's is nice to see them being built, lots of potential in the little bore, and a lot of advantages with it on the street.

I am done here, if anyone has any questions, wants pictures, wants to know where I had to cut the windage tray, what pistons I used, cam, what pistons broke and caused me to sleeve my block in under 1K miles, cam, springs, whatever, I have in my 390. (A real one, not a dream one) feel free to PM me.

Your a real asshole, you know that?

yes little man, I can be, and I can be very good at it.

As for lame lady swipes about my build, like Z28 says, I don't squat what you think - my car has to drive 300 miles on occasion on 3.9 gears, so only a dill like you would expect a .600 lift cam.

But while you insist on making yourself the issue - Your problem is you can't see friendly dig or a friendly remark if it was wearing a Kenworth badge and rammed you up the a$$.

What sort of BS crap is "Ergh" anyway? Couldn't think of anything smart to say? No change there also I see.

Would it suprise you to know that Z28 has already told me about the 302s?

Ya see? He's a man, he can tell what's genuine and what's BS. Try it sometime.

What cc are your heads? Flat tops at zero deck? Try your math again bucko

Oh and btw - 5cc piston volume, .055th gasket, 72 cc O/C heads, .010 out fo the hole, 3.940 bore

so its 10.24:1 - so shove that where all your BS resides......... "Bucko".

Tell ya what "Klondike" ;) -

Ill back our:

Taipan, Tiger and King Brown snakes which will kill you in 20 mins or less,

Red Back and Funnel Web spiders, (with those you get a couple fo hours)

Man o' War and Blue bottle and Box Jellyfish and Sea wasps,

Blue ringed octopus, sting rays and Stone fish,

and of course our White Pointer, Bronze Whaler, Tiger and Grey Nurse sharks,

against -

Your gang of "bad" Eskimos and your Polar bear with a hangover,

Anytime!! :D LOL!!

I am done here...

But yet, you keep posting.

This thread needs to be locked and you two need to take your bickering to PMs. You completely ruined what could have been an interesting thread about stroking a 318.

Brian - perhaps my Australian sense of humour gets a bit "lost" intranslation - but I suspect its not lost on Dodgetkboy - I think our little "difference of opinion" has been worked through.

My sharks are rotting on his doorstep, and his bear has taken a dump on my path - so we're even! LOL!

Thanks for your concern, but its really not needed.

However - apologies for taking the thread Off Topic, I genuinely thought it was done and dusted.

Glad to see you two worked out your differences!! We are all here for the same reason, to gather and share info about our cars.

I just hate it when a potentially interesting thread becomes a pissing match between two or more members, who basically agree on the same thing, they just are looking at it from different views. In this case, different sides for globe!

Good luck to you both.

What is your exact combo to make your car run 11.70? Car weight? Stall?
Cam? Heads?

I am curious on the combo for 11.50's myself. Not doubting it at all..just curious.

Don't have any 1/4 mile tracks locally but one guy has a '73 Duster with an insanely built 318 that's running 5.90's in the 1/8. Nobody believes that though. He built it long before there was a such a thing as a "4 stroke crank even available for the LA motors.

I'm trying to do a stock (3.31) stroke 318 to get me into the 7.90's. Go ahead and laugh..it will happen.

-
Back