3g hemi gas mileage

-
Today I ordered a set of universal high flow cats, finally found a place that would sell into California. They are stainless with a ceramic center, 11 inches long, 5 inches od, and have the o2 bung already welded in. They should get here next Tuesday, I'll try to post pics then.

Also, trip was off, I mean way off, so I'm waiting till this weekend so I can have my dad drive while I program the speedo on the fly.....who knew that could be done?!

Got the speedo adjusted. The rpm's at 60mph are 1800ish and at 80mph around 2400. Gee I hope this gets me better mgp along with the cats.

I bet it gets better. Now that you have things set up correct. Keep us posted I'm intrested to see the results

Dang! I wish I'd known you wanted cats. I've got a pair that came with my 5.7 when I bought it, and they've only got 6000 miles on them. Came off an 06 Wagnum R/T that got totalled a month or so after it left the dealer.

I will keep eveyone posted when I check on the mileage again.

I didn't even think of using cats off a wrecked car...good idea.

Tearing the rear apart to put in new clutches for the sure grip, will be testing tomorrow, then I'll check for mileage.

Still havent had a chance to check the mileage, but I did get the high flow cats last night, oh man are they pretty, lol! Hopefully they will go in without too much fuss.

The cats are a no go!! The TTI headers and exhaust just dont allow any room for the converters and I cant see cutting up a 750 dollar exhaust for 200 dollar converters. On the upside, I found a place that has a chassis dyno and can tune the factory efi setup. They will do base runs, get rwhp and rwtq, start tuning, more dyno time, more tuning all for 400 bucks. When is my tax refund gonna be here??

Sounds good. Let up know how much you make on the dyno. Take a video of your car on the dyno if possible.

Thanks, Aj

Well the dyno day is out, got to pay off some bills as my printer doesn't seem to want to print out any money, lol! I did get some Flowmasters cause the Dynomax's are just to friggin' quiet. Since I'm gonna be redoing the exhaust, I might just beable to get those cats on....we'll see. Who knows, the Flowmasters may just wake up the hemi and I might get a tad better on the mileage.

I think you have 2 much gear i went from stock 2.82 gear to richmond 3.55's in my 06charger and lost about 5 mpg the car weighs 4272lb. The car was alot faster but ending up with 3.06 getrag gear. not sure about the tire diamiter but they were the 08 up alcoa srt wheels 255 45 20 f1 tires should be taller than will fit on a a body

The final overall drive ratio is in the high 2's so I'm sure it's not gearing. Done more research and the 03-05 rams without mds get around 14-17 depending on who ya talk with. Still searching for better mpg's, but might just have to settle with what Im getting.

I've run a few tanks through my car now with a fairly stable tune (I'm not changing values all over the fuel map like previously, lol), and it's been hovering pretty consistent around 15-16 mpg on my 67 Dart with a fair share of full throttle stabs since it's just too fun to not. It weighs a little over 3200 without me last time I had it weighed. I've since swapped over to fuel injection complete with a new fuel tank and added a fiberglass hood, but I don't think it would be enough weight to make a difference mpg-wise. I've got a standard 833 (no O/D) and 3.55 rear gears and drive 20 miles to work on a 55 mph highway doing just under 3k rpm. 70 puts me over 3k, maybe close to 3500. I'd like to see closer to 20 mpg, but then I also realize I doubled the power my car used to have and have the same if not better gas mileage, lol. O/D or different rear gears would probably bump me up a few mpg, but I'd rather keep the fun factor since I don't commute in it daily.

Now there is a fair honest answer. And makes perfect sence.
I've run a few tanks through my car now with a fairly stable tune (I'm not changing values all over the fuel map like previously, lol), and it's been hovering pretty consistent around 15-16 mpg on my 67 Dart with a fair share of full throttle stabs since it's just too fun to not. It weighs a little over 3200 without me last time I had it weighed. I've since swapped over to fuel injection complete with a new fuel tank and added a fiberglass hood, but I don't think it would be enough weight to make a difference mpg-wise. I've got a standard 833 (no O/D) and 3.55 rear gears and drive 20 miles to work on a 55 mph highway doing just under 3k rpm. 70 puts me over 3k, maybe close to 3500. I'd like to see closer to 20 mpg, but then I also realize I doubled the power my car used to have and have the same if not better gas mileage, lol. O/D or different rear gears would probably bump me up a few mpg, but I'd rather keep the fun factor since I don't commute in it daily.

HP junkies, lol!! The Flowmasters are putting up a fight, already cut my finger...

Flowmaster...1
Me...0

An overdrive tranny would not remove any fun, because the first 4 gears would be about the same. But when you shifted into OD you would be running around 2K on the highway instead of 3k. That's called having your cake and eating it too!:cheers:

Flowmasters....1
Me....Kicked the crap out of them

Found one leak and will finish tomorrow, they sound awesome!!

An overdrive tranny would not remove any fun, because the first 4 gears would be about the same. But when you shifted into OD you would be running around 2K on the highway instead of 3k. That's called having your cake and eating it too!:cheers:

Haha, mostly true, though I'd have to hack the floor up quite a bit to get anything to fit. I mainly kept the old tranny because it bolted right up and I didn't want to shell out the cash for any kind of OD setup (Gear Vendors or full tranny). I pretty much did the whole 5.7 swap as a total bolt in. I didn't have to cut anything up to make it fit aside from a few holes in the firewall for wiring when I did the FI swap. The car got converted to a 4 speed before I got it, so it's already been cut up, but I just don't have the welding ability to do it right and don't want to hand it off to someone else and wait for them to finish it, lol. I may start saving some pennies for the Passon 5 speed one of these days though.

I have an '04 Ram Rumble Bee ( stock 5.7, 5-speed auto, 3.23 rear ) running Super Chips programmer set on Economy 87oct, Flowmaster and rear muffler delete and get 21mpg on freeway at 68mph (1750rpm) and average 14 mpg in town. I was running around on the Performance setting back when gas was under $3 but never checked my fuel milage - it was too much fun to drive and would romp on it all the time, lol.

I have to agree with you. Give me the power over the gas mileage any day.

Aj

Hp per gal. Is what I call fuel economy, but my ram is bone stock, well ok not really most of the exhaust fell off, (aka removed by me) and I'm running a diablo, but I don't call it modified. My duster though, will be far from stock. It has a dana60 out of a 69 F250 under it, modern built Hemi, and I'm shooting to make 4digit power to the wheels. I'll be happy if I get 2 gal per 1/4 mile.

But the op has a daily driven street car and economy matters. I would be bummed to get 8-10 out of the swap for a street setup. But 14-16 is great.

the 03 ram pcm has an upstream and down stream 02 sensor.

the 04 and up rams have 2 upstreams and 2 downstreams.

I have a 69 barracuda with 5.7 from a truck, 6.1 cam, tti headers, factory efi, 04 ram pcm, B&G flash, 28 tall rear tire, tko600 with .64 overdrive. speedo has been verified, and adjusted with new gear in the trans.

At 70-72 mpg car got 24 mpg all highway miles.

i doubt hooking up the rear 02 sensors will show a fuel mileage increase.

the 03 ram pcm has an upstream and down stream 02 sensor.

the 04 and up rams have 2 upstreams and 2 downstreams.

I have a 69 barracuda with 5.7 from a truck, 6.1 cam, tti headers, factory efi, 04 ram pcm, B&G flash, 28 tall rear tire, tko600 with .64 overdrive. speedo has been verified, and adjusted with new gear in the trans.

At 70-72 mpg car got 24 mpg all highway miles.

i doubt hooking up the rear 02 sensors will show a fuel mileage increase.

That's what I'm talking about................\\:D/

-
Back