3rd member swap

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Good Day to all; I have the 742 case in my darts 8 3/4 and am wondering if there is another unit I can swap with that has the limited slip. Will the axles and center(pinion shaft?) have to be changed? Thanks for all the help. Dean

Dean,
You can swap a 741 or 489 unit in as long as it is the whole center section. That is case, gears and carrier. You can't mix and match gears and units. Only the very early units don't fit.

Jack

If you find one that has a different size pinion yoke don't worry about swapping it. They make u-joints that have the big and small size so it will bolt right in, I used one in my 70 Dart. Unless you have massive amounts of power then stay with the big yoke! :toothy10:

Thanks for the help. I dont know if it makes a difference but this is a /6 car so Im not really worried about a lot of power. Besides the pinion is there any difference in the axle splines? It is also the small bolt pattern. Thanks again. Dean

Dean you can swap in a sure grip from any other 8-3/4 unit into the 742 case you now have. Only the gears are different from carrier to carrier. All you have to do is pull out the open carrier and install a sure grip and set the backlash and your good to go. Axle splines are the same on all 3 carriers so your fine there too. Here's a link to a good page chocked full of info about what's what on 8-3/4 rear ends

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle.html

WoW!! Lots of good reading :read2: You guys helped me out a bunch. Thanks and enjoy the week :cheers: We have gone from the mid 70's yest to the low 60's today. Bizzare

-
Back