$4,000.00 paint job

-
I'll bet Picasso didn't paint with a twig. This is going to be cool!

BTW, I have filters - I don't recall the micron level (forgot the right term), but I'll check it out tonight.

Load it all in the trunk. Maybe I can shorten the list.

Make sure that they use base/clear primer. Regular laquer primer will ruin the pain job.

Lacquer primer is very rarely used anymore. Urethane primers have replaced them.

one more

DSCF0594.jpg

I'd get it all written up in a contract with a
time limit leaving nothing to chance :nike:
Make sure you have an access/ownership clause.
It's the little "details" that crop up that bite you in the ***.

Sounds like a decent deal.

I have about 300.00 in this paint job.Had some old paint laying around and thought I would use it up on the 65 Barracuda that I got from a member here. I have been working on it for the last couple of months and am getting tired it is a lot of work.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 449
  • grille 057 (Large).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 431
  • grille 060 (Large).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 421
  • grille 059 (Large).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 407
  • grille 036 (Large).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 423
  • grille 034 (Large).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 412
  • grille 012 (Large).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 64 Dart GT 072 (Large).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 424
  • 007.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 425
Oh and I still have to sand and do the clear coat next time I will pay somebody to do it for me I keep telling my self this is the last one.

Well, how long of a warranty will it have? Since it is some rust repair, how long will they warranty it from bubbling or peeling off or signs of paint failure due to either rust or adhesion issues? Specifically what is to be prepped and painted? These should be addressed in writing I would figure.

I agree to get the deal in writing and specifically how long the warranty is against specific "come back" issues listed above.

I too agree that it sounds like a really solid deal. Especially if you have seen similar jobs from that shop after say 5 years and they stand the test of time.

I was at a nice fellows house a couple years ago buying a 440 w/steel crank and he had 7 k in this car paint job and they did not strip the undercoat nor the seam sealers in like half the places. The deal was on the undercoat and seam sealer, if it was holding strong they did not remove it. I gather it was a rust free car. The owner had some "details" that the painter would supposedly touch up or fix..
Looked just great to me but I am a novice painter / body man.

Attachments

• IMAG0049.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 388
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 361
  • IMAG0052.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMAG0053.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 370
  • IMAG0050-2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 369
Good luck with a warranty most shops around here including the one I work at dont warranty any rust repair. 4k for a quality job with rust repair is a deal.

That price actually seems a bit low if it includes rust repair. Make sure they use decent products, and their idea of "rust repair" isn't fiberglass the hole shut and glop in some body filler.

I've seen friends go down that road...trying to restore a car for cheap, and after a year they have chunks falling out when they hit a bump.

I wouldnt do a car for under $5000 and that wouldnt include any welding.

i pay 10 grand and i purchase all the material on top of the labor we put quarters floors and 2 gals paint and 1.5 gal of clear so 4 grand is a killer deal i think

Attachments

• IMG_0328.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2955.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2960.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2961.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2954.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2958.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0333.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 301
4000 is a screaming deal.As AdamR said material alone will run you 2500/3000 depending on color. As they say if it's to good to be true. It probably is.

Well, I started the car about a month ago. Yeah, I said I, the economy and my desire to be hands on got me. I have the trunk and hood off and I have hand blocked the trunk three times so far and stripped the hood and primed with epoxy to begin the body work on it. I am getting help from a good friend that is letting me work at his shop on weekends. He has told me that the car should be done in time for the NHRA Nationals in Tampa. I don't see how, but he has been doing this for over 45 years. I haven't taken photos yet but I will and I will try to post some.

If it's a quality, solid job, and the body work is included, then that's fair it seems.

Now, that being said. I'd have a hard time paying an absurd about for a paint job (Someone said /ten/?) Because my car will never be worth 10k, no matter what kind of paint it has on it.

Make shore you don't become friends with the people painting your car.Keep everything professional until your car is done.Pay half up front and the rest when you are happy with the job.$4000.00 is a lot of money and if the job is done right it is well worth the money.This advise is coming from a guy hat ripped off buy to many body guys and shops.I found a guy to finish my car and he is a very good guy but he will be a friend after my car is finished. Mark

Had mine done, about 4 years ago. Hail repair, some rust repair, soda blasted, primed and painted. This was done by a friend of mine. Cost me a little over $4,000. A regular customer would have been $7,500 at the time. Material, as I understand has gone up, quite a bit since then.

Well, I am still at it. Like I said, a few months back, I decided to be hands on and did not take to the 4,000 shop. I chose to do it with a friend's help. It is taking quite awhile but the unforseen things we have found and repaired would have changed the 4,000 I am sure. We have had to replace all the metal on the trunk lock area and now are replacing metal on the rear quarter panel and I purchased patch panels for the front of the rear qtrs. Take note that I said, "panelS". So far the trunk is done and in paint, hood is done and in paint and the right fender is done and in paint, sort of. It looks like we are going to re-do the hood and right fender, primer issues. The time line is now about a couple of more months. My buddy needs to earn a living, so we work on my car as he has time. I know it will be worth it in the mean time. I will try and post some picture when I can get my wife to do it for me.

Well, I am still at it. Like I said, a few months back, I decided to be hands on and did not take to the 4,000 shop. I chose to do it with a friend's help. It is taking quite awhile but the unforseen things we have found and repaired would have changed the 4,000 I am sure. We have had to replace all the metal on the trunk lock area and now are replacing metal on the rear quarter panel and I purchased patch panels for the front of the rear qtrs. Take note that I said, "panelS". So far the trunk is done and in paint, hood is done and in paint and the right fender is done and in paint, sort of. It looks like we are going to re-do the hood and right fender, primer issues. The time line is now about a couple of more months. My buddy needs to earn a living, so we work on my car as he has time. I know it will be worth it in the mean time. I will try and post some picture when I can get my wife to do it for me.

It may take longer but you'll get the satisfaction of knowing what's under the paint, and learning some skills in the process. Plus the additional respect you'll get from car guys when you can say "I did the body and paint".

It may take longer but you'll get the satisfaction of knowing what's under the paint, and learning some skills in the process. Plus the additional respect you'll get from car guys when you can say "I did the body and paint".

You are so right.. I have regained alot of knowledge I had forgotten I had. I have learned quite a bit of new techniques and alot about the new products and prices, they have changed drastically since my last involvement. What the heck, I am having fun in the process I just don't really know how much longer it will take. I chose to keep the car black and my buddy said if you want my help then it has to be perfect to be beautiful when we are done.

Bought a '72 Scamp from a buddy who offered it to me when he started having prostate issues. My friend had removed the interior, cleaned, prepped, re-sealed and painted the interior panels. He even did the inside, top sections of the quarter panels- he is a perfectionist.
Next he removed the back bumper and gravel pan- prepped, primed, and cut-in the paint there. Onto the rest of the body- vinyl top removed and the prep work done, down onto the quarters (no rot) and trunk.
Now me and a couple buddies are finishing the prep/prime work. My minimuim cost to shoot the top (where the vinyl was removed) and remaining body is $1000-1200 using PPG paint, base coat/clear coat. I figure it'll be more like $1500.

Attachments

• DSCN1761[1].jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 176
  • SSCN1783[1].JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 170
  • SSCN1782[1].JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 167
$4000 for what you have decribed is in a word "cheap" Makes me ask what is the quality of work they do? Quality materials for a complete paint job will run you $1500 at a minimum. I would estimate, for a quality job, it to take 75 to 100 hours for all the work you have decribed. Even a good back yard guy will charge $50 per hour so if you do the math you get over $5000. I would strongly suggest you take a good look at some of the work this guy has done. If you are not sure what to look for, ask a friend that knows to go with you. Also ask what kind of products he is using and ask him to explain the process. Example: how many times he is going to block the car and what grit of paper he uses when blocking it straight and what grit he will finish the car in. Personally I woulld rather spend a little more $ to make sure it is done right. I really hate to see guys throw $ away. The last thing you want to do is paint it twice. I hope it works out for you.

Attachments

• For Insurance 003.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 140
-
Back