4.50 stroke in stock block... rod to cam clearance??

-

dadodgekid

When in doubt... floor it
Reaction score
anyone build one?? 543 pump gas 440 block build for a friend of mines swamp buggy and he doesnt want alot of rpm, just alot of grunt. I read a blurb where a guy said you could only run .550 lift or the rod would crash the cam lobe... seems a little odd to me.

That does seem odd...for the sake of BSing I would think the cam centerline is fare enough away to have the clearance, the hard spot was the crank/rod and block rub points. Flip side of the coin is while a stroker will eat up a cam quick if he really isn't worried about big HP numbers or high RPMs a smaller cam would work. With all that being said going aftermarket block for that size crank would be a good idea for the longevity...assuming he is running this hard as most do when banging around in the mud.

I run a .590 lift, in my 540 > 72 dart
only clearance issue was with the oil pick up tube,
vs the rod bolt

SAM_3841 (1).JPG

max ported the 440 source heads (built in 08)
plus .050 retainers / some valve guide clearance

2-13-08 026.jpg

The Mopar blocks have the height. The only issue is the oiling system and ultimately the inherent weakness in the main webbing. Keep the rpms low and you have to run the external pickup, plug the internal pickup, and clearance the pickup boss.

I run a .590 lift, in my 540 > 72 dart
only clearance issue was with the oil pick up tube,
vs the rod bolt

]
I just did one last year using 2.200" rod journals and steel H-beams. Just a little clearancing on the oil pickup boss and all is well. Going to external oiling is added pain and expense and usually not needed.

Are those Max Wedge manifolds ? That's cool!

they are Max Wedge manifolds
when the 540 was in the 68 Satellite
when put into the dart
had to swap sides to clear the steering and master cylinder ( also move 3" to the outside)
and clear the heater motor

4-05-05007_zps8284ffe7[1].jpg

078_zpsjwscf1dy.jpg

004_zpsukubndog.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back