4/7 swap in firing order..

-
Oh everyone thinks I run my LA engine on alcohol because it's so loud, but I don't. The valves opening on center, the 47cc combustion chamber and .028 piston to head clearance I think all contribute to how loud it is. Well not to mention the 2" header tube and 4" collectors.

Oh everyone thinks I run my LA engine on alcohol because it's so loud, but I don't. The valves opening on center, the 47cc combustion chamber and .028 piston to head clearance I think all contribute to how loud it is. Well not to mention the 2" header tube and 4" collectors.
whats your engine combo (if you don't mind sharing that info)?

That 427 FE definitely sounded different than a Mopar but I think it sounded kind of weak. It was a little smoother than other V8s when the guy in the video raised the revs for a couple seconds but it was a lot quieter and didn't have that same booming "cannon"-type sound that Mopars have. Hell, my mild 318 with the exhaust unhooked was nastier sounding than that thing (even though the 427 obviously had a cam).

My neighbor's 351C '70 Mach 1 sounds pretty beefy though, and I know that thing is pretty quick (geared too tall though).

#1, it had manifolds.........
#2, it was a video........

Was that a 427? I thought it had a 2bbl......... That would be illegal. I think it was a 352/360/390, I'll look again........

OH thier different alright...
you can lump them into 3 catagories:

5.0L HO, 351W(himpy), 351M(oronic), 351C(atostrophic), 400 for the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order

289, 302, 352, 390, 427, 428, 429, 460 for the 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order

FE = &%$#ing Engine

Hehe, I'm gonna have, some, "Ford fun"......... See if I get this right........ Or close.......

"Y" Block... 292/312/315...... Bell housing "A" we will call it.
"FE" Block... 352/360/390/406/410/410E/411/427/427cammer/427SO/428
"FE" Block HD... 362?/392?Or was it a 1..... 427/4??*78?* (knew that one yesterday) 549
Bellhousing "B", the two bigger motors had a SAE#2
255/289/302/302BOSS/351W/3512bblC/4bblC/4004bbl (Bellhousing "C" also shared with the 300-6cyl) Then, same Block, 351M/400/400M (Bellhousing "D") Where am I at? Oh.......
371/429/429SCJ/460 (There are more industrails there, but in the words of Burt Reynolds, in stripteas, "ma Brain, ma brain just turns to sheeit:! They share the same bellhousing as the 351M/400/400M, but the 351-400M are actually small blocks, with big block bellhousing.........

And then there is the starters, converters, clutches, motor mount center/center/side/side distance/style...... Yeah, Fords....... They had a better Idea.......

"Ford, has a better idea" :sign7:

Wow, that was totally useless Mopar info.....

........................./´¯/)...................... 292/312/315/352/360/390/
......................,/¯..//........................ 406/410/410E/411/427/427cammer/
...................../..../ /......................... 427SO/428/
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸..................... 352/
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\................... 255/289/302/302BOSS/
........('(...´(..´......,~/'...').................. 351W/3512bblC/4bblC/4004bbl/
.........\.................\/..../................... 371/429/429SCJ/460/
..........'\...\.......... _.·´...................... 300-6cyl/
............\..............( ......................... and so on
..............\.............\......................... Fords in general

whats your engine combo (if you don't mind sharing that info)?

It's one of the MP high compression short blocks, hyperexplosive piston, .011 out of the hole with small chamber W5's milled .050. Right at 12.7:1 compression. Hughes solid flat tappet with 1.6 rockers nets out to .650 lift. It's been together for 10 years now and is pretty tired. I'm going to freshen the heads, install the 2.08 valve and build a stroker short block with good pistons and rods. That should put the car solidly in the mid 9's.

Dudek's 10 second FAST road runner utilizes the 4/7 swap.

The reason the F.A.S.T. guys doing the firing order swap was to follow the rules for their class of racing calling for "a stock sounding idle". The firing order swap allowed for a more radical roller cam profile whilst maintaining a "stock" sounding idle. All the performance benefits from doing the swap are just added gravy.

The reason the F.A.S.T. guys doing the firing order swap was to follow the rules for their class of racing calling for "a stock sounding idle". The firing order swap allowed for a more radical roller cam profile whilst maintaining a "stock" sounding idle. All the performance benefits from doing the swap are just added gravy.

Well that is an interesting take on it. That thought had never even crossed my mind.

FE = Ford Edsel

The engine was named after the car they first put them in. FE's are pretty similar from a basic standpoint (looking at the short block) when compared to a BB mopar, deep main bearing web crankcase etc, but the stock heads suck and the bearing sizes are not too good. Oiling is a problem as well unless you get a side oiler block. Only reason I know is because my relatives are into 64 galaxies. I've helped them build their FE motors in the past and know them intimately as a result.

FE = Ford Edsel

The engine was named after the car they first put them in. FE's are pretty similar from a basic standpoint (looking at the short block) when compared to a BB mopar, deep main bearing web crankcase etc, but the stock heads suck and the bearing sizes are not too good. Oiling is a problem as well unless you get a side oiler block. Only reason I know is because my relatives are into 64 galaxies. I've helped them build their FE motors in the past and know them intimately as a result.

I've had my share of run ins with them as well. Great as low rpm grunt engines but otherwise, well, they leave a lot to be desired.

You are probably having a hard time because they don't have the UGL cam blank to do it. Can you still buy these from Mopar Performance?
MoPar has this:
P4876633 Race UGL Camshaft — Roller Tappets, for Babbitt Bearings P4876372 (“R” Blocks)

no normal flat tappet ones tho.

Lunati = Big Block only
havn't heard back from ISKY or BULLIT yet.
Comp & Crane was a flat out NO.

-
Back