[SOLD] 4 barrel LA Intake

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin had a 90 360 auto . It was so rich the tail pipe would glow red on the highway. behind the muffler.

We tried everything. Including heads and cam. The truck got better with a 318 throttle body off of a 88 but still was not cured. changed everything electrical. No cure. Was at the dealer several times. The cure ended up being installing a intake and edelbrock carb.

After he died I ended up with the truck. When we tore it down the top rings were so bad they were flush with the pistons.

From then on when the 89 up injected 360 LA motors came to the shop with this problem. They would get pulled and rebuilt with better rings and pistons.

You won't believe the difference in power and ecconomy. Pistons and rings are the downfall of the late LA 360 motors. Not the injection. Do A leak down more than 10% and it won't run right and will be a fuel pig.

Do to the loss of compression on the 360's the easiest thing to do is this.

Change the intake and up the compression with boost. Worked well for me and it would pull a trailer up the mountain half throttle. Ten intake bolts a pulley and a hole in the hood your done.

Attachments

• steve 026.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 168
  • steve 027.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 162
My cousin had a 90 360 auto . It was so rich the tail pipe would glow red on the highway. behind the muffler.

We tried everything. Including heads and cam. The truck got better with a 318 throttle body off of a 88 but still was not cured. changed everything electrical. No cure. Was at the dealer several times. The cure ended up being installing a intake and edelbrock carb.

After he died I ended up with the truck. When we tore it down the top rings were so bad they were flush with the pistons.

From then on when the 89 up injected 360 LA motors came to the shop with this problem. They would get pulled and rebuilt with better rings and pistons.

You won't believe the difference in power and ecconomy. Pistons and rings are the downfall of the late LA 360 motors. Not the injection. Do A leak down more than 10% and it won't run right and will be a fuel pig.

Do to the loss of compression on the 360's the easiest thing to do is this.

Change the intake and up the compression with boost. Worked well for me and it would pull a trailer up the mountain half throttle. Ten intake bolts a pulley and a hole in the hood your done.

Good lord! If I could afford that, I'd have a diesel already! Lol beautiful setup though

I'm sorry but I don't believe a 5900 lb. 3/4 ton gasoline powered truck with 4.10 gears will ever get good gas mileage. If your lucky you'll gain 1-2 mpg installing a 4 barrel. Why did you remove the factory fuel injection? Fuel injection when working properly will get better gas mileage than a carb. 99.9% of the time

IMO the best thing you could do now is what others said about swapping the rearend for one with 3.55 gears. If you've got a granny low trans. you'll still have all the pulling power you would ever need. 3.55's should improve fuel mileage a lot more than a 4 barrel carb and you can easily change out a rearend just as quick as you could install a 4 barrel carb and get it tuned.

I'm sorry but I don't believe a 5900 lb. 3/4 ton gasoline powered truck with 4.10 gears will ever get good gas mileage. If your lucky you'll gain 1-2 mpg installing a 4 barrel. Why did you remove the factory fuel injection? Fuel injection when working properly will get better gas mileage than a carb. 99.9% of the time

IMO the best thing you could do now is what others said about swapping the rearend for one with 3.55 gears. If you've got a granny low trans. you'll still have all the pulling power you would ever need. 3.55's should improve fuel mileage a lot more than a 4 barrel carb and you can easily change out a rearend just as quick as you could install a 4 barrel carb and get it tuned.

I tried explaining gear ratios to him as well, oh well..

See if you can find some taller skinny tires to put under it to kill some of the gear.
Also make sure that you do not have any of the brakes dragging, this could also kill milage.

See if you can find some taller skinny tires to put under it to kill some of the gear.
Also make sure that you do not have any of the brakes dragging, this could also kill milage.

No brakes dragging, I had everything except the carrier fixed a few months ago because a cylinder went bad. Would've done it myself so I could learn to do it, but it was -5* and I have no garage lol

My fender well is pretty full now. There is only an inch between my tire and fender well on the back

I agree with the other comments about gearing, probably going to be the best all around solution.

66PlyValiant- when you look down the throttle body at idle (750 RPM) is the injectors spraying or dripping?

Upon closer examination, only the pass side injector is spraying at idle. Is it supposed to be that way or should they both be spraying?

66PlyValiant- when you look down the throttle body at idle (750 RPM) is the injectors spraying or dripping?

Upon closer examination, only the pass side injector is spraying at idle. Is it supposed to be that way or should they both be spraying?

they should be intermitting, one side sprays then the other side, back and forth. if one isn't working it would be a pig on fuel and lack power,

best way to check is at idle is to stick your finger down the thottle body on the side you think isn't working and see if it gets wet, might be working but not spraying in that case it needs cleaned or replaced

if its not working check for power and ground, and replace injector if both are present

they should be intermitting, one side sprays then the other side, back and forth. if one isn't working it would be a pig on fuel and lack power,

best way to check is at idle is to stick your finger down the thottle body on the side you think isn't working and see if it gets wet, might be working but not spraying in that case it needs cleaned or replaced

if its not working check for power and ground, and replace injector if both are present

I can see it getting wet, but it maybe from the other injector. I'll check power and make sure, but only the one is spraying for sure and its constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back