[SOLD] 4 barrel LA Intake

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Real world.
My dad bought a 78 W-150 brand new, 360 -2bbl 4-speed club,cab 3.55 all stock, still is.
It got 14.4 new still gets 14.0 tank after tank, the motor has never been rebuilt except for a valve job and timing chain, 240,000K.

I have a 78 W-150 318, 4-speed, 3.55 no options, standard cab swb that only could pull 10 mpg with the stock bbd, the truck has 80K original miles.
I put a LD4B intake and a 750 holley vac sec, and the average milage is around 14 mpg.
My wife says the old truck runs alot smoother and is more responsive, this is comming from an non-car girl.

So the point I am making is the stock stuff will work as good as the aftermarket.

I have a 78

Both of which weigh around the same as a 2wd 3/4 ton. I'm definitely not opposed to the stock parts. Only reason I hoped for aluminum is to save a little on shipping

Go to the JY and get a 3.55 axle.

Probably $100 and will be an instant MPG improvement.

If you feel adventurous, tru to find one higher, like 2.7.

IDK what that truck weighs (5500+?), but my Sat is pushin' 4K with 2.73's and a 318-2. Keeps up with traffic just fine, passes when I want, and is 14.5 MPG, and could be better.

Wish it were that easy. I've been looking for 3:55's for a while. Everything is 4:10 or 3:92 Remember it's a 3/4 ton and I haven't seen many around Houston with our big population. Maybe it's different in Co, but I doubt it with the mountains.
MoparDaddy, you would be better off selling it if you don't need it for towing. Look for the /6 OD standard 1/2 ton. Do you really need a truck? I know I miss my Neon @ 28 city 33 hwy

Sorry.In the 70's ,Edelbrock released a small runner,dual plane. Was designed, to ramp up intake velocities, WAY over stock. (Pump torque, into stock low compression engines). RPM range, idle to 4000. Used correctly, they do work.Sorry,on abbreviations.

On my '91 GMC v6, mileage dropped like rock..change o2 sensor and bingo...back up to where it usually ran. Another time same scenario, mileage dropped, this time I pulled coolant temp sensor and it was crusted over, replaced and instantly could smell difference & economy went back up..dunno but it was desired results..nary a check engine light.

I also had a 76 440 auto club cab 4x4 8' bed that had 4.10 gears
4 mpg,
I traded in on a new dakota in the early 90's because the payment on the new truck was less than what I put in the gas tank a month.

I have both EGr and non egr.
I ditched the Tbi on my 91 auto 360 for a 2000 5.9 mag with 93 mpfi my mpg went from 7 to 14

Way out of budget but if you want some real fuel mileage put a 12 valve and a Nv 4500 in it.

Wish it were that easy. I've been looking for 3:55's for a while. Everything is 4:10 or 3:92 Remember it's a 3/4 ton and I haven't seen many around Houston with our big population. Maybe it's different in Co, but I doubt it with the mountains.
MoparDaddy, you would be better off selling it if you don't need it for towing. Look for the /6 OD standard 1/2 ton. Do you really need a truck? I know I miss my Neon @ 28 city 33 hwy

Unfortunately, I do need it for towing. I have it stacked to the rim with lumber on a regular basis. I build houses for a living.

Standard gear options were 4.10 or 3.92.

Unfortunately I also reside in a pussy Chevy/ford country. Finding parts locally has been a chore. That's why I decided to ask you fine folks. I know I can get desired results here somehow

I also had a 76 440 auto club cab 4x4 8' bed that had 4.10 gears
4 mpg,
I traded in on a new dakota in the early 90's because the payment on the new truck was less than what I put in the gas tank a month.

Ouch!

I have both EGr and non egr.
I ditched the Tbi on my 91 auto 360 for a 2000 5.9 mag with 93 mpfi my mpg went from 7 to 14

Way out of budget but if you want some real fuel mileage put a 12 valve and a Nv 4500 in it.

I would like to get a 12 valve w series. I just can't afford the $5k plus they want

Sorry.In the 70's ,Edelbrock released a small runner,dual plane. Was designed, to ramp up intake velocities, WAY over stock. (Pump torque, into stock low compression engines). RPM range, idle to 4000. Used correctly, they do work.Sorry,on abbreviations.

I remember dad debating on getting the S.P.2.P to put on his then new power wagon, he could not decide on the 2bbl version or the 4bbl version.
So the truck stayed stock...Or mom put her foot down.
I would love to have either of them manifolds now in good condition.

"S.P.2.P. 318", short for Small Port 2 Plane, is an Edelbrock aluminum intake developed in the late 70's for economy on low comp engines, mainly 318's.I had one on a 273 w/500cfm Carter and it worked great.

As to the axle, would a F*rd DANA fit? They're fairly plentiful w/3.54 gears (was a common ratio).

attachment.php

"S.P.2.P. 318", short for Small Port 2 Plane, is an Edelbrock aluminum intake developed in the late 70's for economy on low comp engines, mainly 318's.I had one on a 273 w/500cfm Carter and it worked great.As to the axle, would a F*rd DANA fit? They're fairly plentiful w/3.54 gears (was a common ratio).

The ford axle may very well be an option! I recently had the rear brakes rebuilt in their entirety due to cylinder failure. Would the parts interchange?

"S.P.2.P. 318", short for Small Port 2 Plane, is an Edelbrock aluminum intake developed in the late 70's for economy on low comp engines, mainly 318's.I had one on a 273 w/500cfm Carter and it worked great.

As to the axle, would a F*rd DANA fit? They're fairly plentiful w/3.54 gears (was a common ratio).

Sounds like a dynamite manifold! Also sounds like finding one would be a pia

I had a slant 6 dodge 1/2 ton that was lucky to pull 8 MPG and its own weight, swapped to 318 and no more issues

The ford axle may very well be an option! I recently had the rear brakes rebuilt in their entirety due to cylinder failure. Would the parts interchange?

Can you find a F*rd pickup locally with the Dana for measuring against yours? Both trucks are leaf spring, and if the pads are in the same spot, I would think you're in. The only other variable will be the pinion yoke/ universal sizes. All the brake hardware should swap, AFAIK.(as far as I know)

If your not going to help, then get bent. I'm open to advice and helpful hints. I'm not looking for smart *** attitude. I appreciate the trans suggestion, but if that's all your going to offer thanks and see ya later

:eek:ops: Oh I'm sorry big daddy, you're going in the right direction, are you happy now?

Remove the fuel management system, add a carburetor and an junkyard distributor, keep the 4:10 gears and the granny 4 speed and loss the attitude along with whatever gas mileage you had before..

Ford and Dodge use the same width rear bumper. Yes I know because I was looking at a really nice bumper on a Ford. Hey, maybe it came off a Dodge? :booty: You have ABS brakes?

The 89-90 D series cummins trucks had 3.07 and 91.5-93 had 3.54. I have a 3.07 D 70 Drw that i am going to scrap. You might have luck finding a d 60 srw 3.54 on ramchargercentral.com. A lot of guys part out the early cummins trucks on there after pulling the motors.

Can you find a F*rd pickup locally with the Dana for measuring against yours? Both trucks are leaf spring, and if the pads are in the same spot, I would think you're in. The only other variable will be the pinion yoke/ universal sizes. All the brake hardware should swap, AFAIK.(as far as I know)

74 and up Ford, and about the same year chevys and dodge.
Look in the later years 80's for a higher ratio 3.00-3.55.
Dana built the axles, just move the location for the springs.
They are all pretty much the same except the mountng points.

:eek:ops: Oh I'm sorry big daddy, you're going in the right direction, are you happy now?

Remove the fuel management system, add a carburetor and an junkyard distributor, keep the 4:10 gears and the granny 4 speed and loss the attitude along with whatever gas mileage you had before..

And there ya go again. The only thing you've had to say so far that's been any help is the 5speed comment. Telling someone "I think your going in the wrong direction" is not going to help them. Research is showing that the first gen fuel injection system is next to worthless. You believe otherwise. Problem is, you haven't bothered to say why. Instead you chose the route of a holier than thou attitude. Don't call bs if you can't handle someone calling you on yours....

Now, if you have helpful information it is greatly appreciated.

74 and up Ford, and about the same year chevys and dodge.
Look in the later years 80's for a higher ratio 3.00-3.55.
Dana built the axles, just move the location for the springs.
They are all pretty much the same except the mountng points.

Early ones have hi-ratio's too...My '77 3/4 Camper Special came with a 3.07 D60...Isn't F*rd amazing???...3.07 in a 3/4 ton Camper Special???...No wonder the 400 engine and trans were hooped with only 70k miles on them when I bought it......What were they thinking...! It's 3.54 w /a 472(460+.060) now...it'll pull a house over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back