4-Door with 340 from the factory?

-

Super-Cuda

MOPAR .. Move Over, Plymouth Approaching Rapidly!
Reaction score
I was just poking around the various Mopar sites and came across this. If there is any correct answer to this question, it should have an answer somewhere on this site.
I was always of the opinion that the 340 was only ever offered in two door Mopars but.. Chrysler did some strange things back in the day including putting Hemi's in 4-doors and apparently station wagons. What say you??

69, 70 4 door dart with factory 340

Never say never, but until we see documentation, it doesn't exist!
I've always thought it was cool that 340s were only available in two door, sporty cars.
Not vans, trucks, 4 doors, wagons, etc. Prove it. or it didn't happen!

Does a boat count? They used the 340 engine in boats, but then I guess it would be a no door model.

NOPE !! In North America.

there may have been a Swiss built 340 Monteverdi 4-door in the mid 70’s. I know there was a 360.

Sheet says 340 only available in Dart Swinger 340 not available in other models. Maybe Dealer could install 340 in other models.

NOPE !! In North America.

there may have been a Swiss built 340 Monteverdi 4-door in the mid 70’s. I know there was a 360.

This! None documented in the U.S. and not sure there were any in the world, but Steve may be right. Funny they put Hemi's in 4-doors and wagons, and maybe a CSS truck (one claimed but not proved) but 340's were only in "muscle" cars...

In the early 80s Larry Shepard told me there were a few B engine dusters built. I never seen any documentation on them. He was the Mopar god so I seen no reason to disbelieve him. I think maybe he meant the mule cars that had the DC K member that they put the 400 into and we’re testing cams, intakes and other performance parts. Kim. I just remembered that he said 1970 dusters with 383s. That’s is so long ago that maybe I’m remembering wrong.

Last edited:
In the early 80s Larry Shepard told me there were a few B engine dusters built. I never seen any documentation on them. He was the Mopar god so I seen no reason to disbelieve him. I think maybe he meant the mule cars that had the DC K member that they put the 400 into and we’re testing cams, intakes and other performance parts. Kim

Gallery: What Might Have Been; Tom Hoover’s Super Stock 440 Demon - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar techMopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

Mopar Perf. had a 74 (I think could of been 75/76) test mule Duster.
with a big block in mid 70's They put glass bumpers on it and got rid
of the Energy absorbing stuff. As I recall ( I am old) = It ran 11.3 with a very mild
400 and a 571 lift Mopar cam and 11.6 with a 509 Purple shaft. I probably will be going to
dinner with David Hakim at the Winternational in a couple week and I will see if his memory
is more exact than mine. They used it as a test bed to check out a lot of Mopar Perf. stuff

This is onlyan interesting story, but in 1975 My brother rented a 75 Cordoba for a week in Phoenix, and when he went to check the oil at the station the air cleaner said 340.
and, in the late 80's I also owned a 74 charger 440 magnum with a forged crank. 71 block, but it was a numbers matching car. So Chrysler did try to use up many of the leftover parts they had during the time period.
But, I haven't heard of someone able to order a 340 in a sedan. they could though order everything else that a 340 car came with.

of the Energy absorbing stuff. As I recall ( I am old) = It ran 11.3 with a very mild
400 and a 571 lift Mopar cam and 11.6 with a 509 Purple shaft. I probably will be going to
dinner with David Hakim at the Winternational in a couple week and I will see if his memory
is more exact than mine. They used it as a test bed to check out a lot of Mopar Perf. stuff

That sounds more plausible.

I remember the chart which may have shown the results of 4-5 different camshafts. It's probably in one of the thick, Direct Connection race manuals with the many different chapters, including big blocks.

R.jpg

I hope so = It is factual true ( I know first hand)!
There were several articles about it back them including the cam testing.

Well, it explains and puts together what Larry Shepard said.

I looked the Monteverdi wiki page and it doesn't look like any 340 cars.
They ran big blocks in 375 series cars.
The SUV Sierra model came with: 318, IH 345, or 440.
The Volare based cars were 318's.

Monteverdi (automobile) - Wikipedia

A friend had a 273 commando 4 spd. 4 door 1967 Valiant. It still resides right up the street.

I have personally seen a 1968 Dodge w250 4x4 426 Hemi . I saw it sitting and stopped. I ask is that old truck for sale he said no firmly. I asked what engine was in it thinking 318 or 383. He said hemi I laughed. He insisted and walked out and opened the hood . He bought the truck new. The truck was not restored setting at a old service station in NJ. He special ordered the truck to tow a race car. It was a fleet side truck with the wide chrome and power wagon on the side of the hood. Hemi emblems on the fender one was missing it was stolen. Dual inline 4bbl. I didn't believe him at first that it came that way and then he got the paper work out of the glove box. It fired right up . Had the solid lifter tic, exhaust leaks and was missing when he revd it. The oval air breather was solid grime.

I begged him to sell it and went back many years.

The garage is now closed up and the truck is gone . He had to pass away because he was older at that time I was in my late 20's. I was into these trucks and building a 71 at that time. I would buy these trucks up just like like Dusters , Demons and 50's chevy trucks. The Truck was Red with a white roof and garage lettered. Giant push bumper.

Its gotta be out there somewhere. Lower NJ area is where I saw it. I was working in Yardley Pa. I was a supervisor for concrete mixes at the K-mart ware house construction.. I would get the guys started in the morning and Loui and I would drive around and look for mopars the whole day. Bought a lot of cars back then and regret not going down there for this truck and visiting him and staying in touch. It looked just like this truck but red with a very large push bumper. Faded but not rotted. Thought I saw it sitting on route 46 in NJ at a landscape place but it wasn't it.

1969-dodge-power-wagon-adventurer-318-v8-manual-awd-7.jpg

1969-dodge-power-wagon-adventurer-318-v8-manual-awd-3.jpg

I owned a 69 coronet R/T. 440 six pack 4 spd. 410 dana , I Bought it is 72. Suppose to only be offered in the super bee. Had the dual scoop fresh air hood. Owners name was Paul George. Title said 440 4 spd. The car was bought at Berk motors in west Catasauqua Pa. My son started working for them . I brought the car up in conversation and he remembered the car. He ordered the car and the motor came separate and was dealer installed. Vin was stamped on motor. It had a cast iron intake to fit the fresh air hood is what Nate from Berks said. He was correct it did. I still have the title the car was stolen in 74 along with my 70 340 swinger. The swinger was found in 2005. 31 years later it came home.

O%20dart[1].jpg

I've seen factory 273-4 barrel 4 door A body and factory 360-4 barrel 4 door A body cars (I almost bought one).

...but no factory 340 4 door cars.

I've seen factory 273-4 barrel 4 door A body and factory 360-4 barrel 4 door A body cars (I almost bought one).

...but no factory 340 4 door cars.
My belief is after seeing a max wedge 4 door tow car anything is possible. It was at Carlisle owned by D&S auto show out of Harrisburg Pa. years ago. They bought my 69 R/T

I saw cars over the years that was told they never made them and I set my eyes on them in person. 1965 "300" 426 street wedge 4 spd.

I owned a 65 plymouth fury with a 426 street wedge 4spd. I used the chrysler for parts. Should have fixed the Chrysler.

You can order what ever you wanted back then if you had the money and knew someone at the dealer. Or a mopar sponsored race team.

You or I could not go buy a brand new body in white with no title or numbers back then but they were given to race teams. Complete rollers with no motor or trans no numbers.

I paid a lot of money for one.

So if this OP said he knew of a 340 4 door . I'd believe anything because I have seen the "never was" cars and trucks. I don't care what the fucken purests say. They are finding the impossibles everyday of all brands. Due to people dying and properties bought and treasures being discovered

Last edited:
I've personally seen 273 hipo and 360 magnum 4 door a body cars.

I've never even heard of a 340 4 door.

Ma was protective of the 340 and the six pack intake setup.
( and the floor shift manual transmission, for some reason)

More so than anything else.

Shows you how smart we are (were) nobody bothered to photograph these unicorns? Or their paperwork,
VIN tags, etc? Today I would hope somebody would get out their phone! I'm as guilty as the rest. I remember in the early '70s in Piedmont area NC seeing Duster or Demon A bodies with the T/A "340 six pak"
stickers on the fenders. Now in my defense, I was not a car guy and wasn't driving myself, yet. I feel like I saw more than one. Looking back now, I assume a dealer was selling the parts, or doing the conversions. But who knows? Made a strong impression on me, for sure!

In august of 1971 I seen a 71 duster 340 with a 6 pac/6 barrel. I assumed it was an add on. Don’t know where the car ended up. Kim

-
Back