4 hole spacer ona single plane

-

35regal

Reaction score
would a 4 hole 2inch spacer give the motor a little more torque than just a the single plane by its self?

Should help Brian. I don't know if you need a 2" spacer though. I put a 1/2" 4 hole on mine and could definitely tell a diff. If I had clearance I'd try a 1" but my air cleaner is right at the hood now. Come to think of it I put a 1" on a buddy's 440 and it helped it a bunch.

It will help response and may boost torque assuming you have the wrong intake on it to begin with. How much is very dependant on the combo.

It will help response and may boost torque assuming you have the wrong intake on it to begin with. How much is very dependant on the combo.

So just about everybody has the WRONG intake on their combo per your statement above????

This is a valid question, I have heard you say this many times before.

Moper is right, it's a Band-aid. If you want more low end torque, that should have been thought about during the build, gearing and torque converter selection. A 4 hole will help, but not as much as a dual plane manifold and a smaller cam.

"So just about everybody has the WRONG intake on their combo per your statement above????
This is a valid question, I have heard you say this many times before."

First, every question is valid. Everything I say I can back up with known theory. To disgree is also fine, just plan to back it up. Saying "on my car.." or "everyone sees" is a sign of hype reguritation or limited experince. State laws of physics. Prove it. Convince me I'm wrong. That is good healthy debate.

"Most mopars" having the wrong intake is a common fact. The definition of "wrong" in not singular tho. Wrong for what? Max power? Max toque? Throttle response? Economy? Budget, availabilty, whatever we have... We compromise all the time. There are specific instances where airspeed or direction can be enhanced for a particular rpm/throttle window. But it's very specific to a given engine/intake plenum/carb configuration. It's not cookie cutter so everyone doesn't the same gain or result. The builder has to stay within the boundaries of available parts and expected use. The sad truth is there is not any one intake that will do everything well. To take that concept further, the number of intakes available for Mopars is much smaller than chevy or ford, forcing builders to compromise with mopars more than the more plentiful brands. This is one of the reasons the Edelbrock RPM is such a great intake. It does the best at the most. However I'd wadger there are 5-10 different types in 5 different brands of Chevy intake that would fit the same criteria as the RPM. We have maybe 7-8 total. In terms of single planes, there are many, many more than Mopars have. So all we have are compromises. I'll add I think one of the largest areas yet to be really explored is intakes. Hughes is starting to but the market is such that I dont think we'll see any thing new or revolutionary in one part number. More like a porting/shaping package that modifies a part to best suit your engine. Like CNC heads...expect CNC intakes. Adding a spacer is a lean away from one compromise to another that in many cases can be accomplished with better results by using the intake and/or carb that better fits the package and the use. In some builds a spacer may help a little, but in terms of big gains and universal application, it's more hype than fact. The more you gain, the worse the setup you currently have.

I know, i know, i know. All about the air-gap. Heres the scoop, started out with a chineese air-gap,on my once x-headed 340. Then a torker11, 244/252@o50, 550/570 lift with 1.6 heads flowes 248@600., 750 hp carb, 4.10 gears, 4200 stall, i liked the way the torker 11 pulled 6800-7000 rpm, now im changing to eddys, i gave the machine/porting shop a# i would like them to flow, wich is 280@600 /195@600 .also milling the heads to get 10,7 compression ,pistons .20 out, .20 shim, .039 gasket, eddy 360 heads, kb hyper pistons, x-heads are sold as well as the torker11, i have 2 intakes left,strip dominator, or a m1, im not a fan of a dual plane, also dont want to buy another intake, trying to make the best of the 2, also i have 2 spacers , a 4 hole , or a open 1 inch.THANKS FOR EVERYONES ADVICE,

The boost in compression will help tons on the low end. The 4-hole is worth a shot since you already have it and changing it is quick and easy. Sometimes you just have to experiment and see what works.

I swapped from a Eddy LD4B to a Weiand Action + (bad move). I added two open spacers, one at a time and felt a giant bump in mid and upper rpm with very little change in off-idle perfromance. Like Moper says, that tells me my manifold is tuned for too low a rpm and too restrictive for my particular build. I probably need a bigger carb too.

I know, i know, i know. All about the air-gap. Heres the scoop, started out with a chineese air-gap,on my once x-headed 340. Then a torker11, 244/252@o50, 550/570 lift with 1.6 heads flowes 248@600., 750 hp carb, 4.10 gears, 4200 stall, i liked the way the torker 11 pulled 6800-7000 rpm, now im changing to eddys, i gave the machine/porting shop a# i would like them to flow, wich is 280@600 /195@600 .also milling the heads to get 10,7 compression ,pistons .20 out, .20 shim, .039 gasket, eddy 360 heads, kb hyper pistons, x-heads are sold as well as the torker11, i have 2 intakes left,strip dominator, or a m1, im not a fan of a dual plane, also dont want to buy another intake, trying to make the best of the 2, also i have 2 spacers , a 4 hole , or a open 1 inch.THANKS FOR EVERYONES ADVICE,

Ok the chinese ripoff is garbage..and i ran the torker 2 on one of my 340's was NOT impressed at all,if it were me i'd experiment try the m1 then try the m1 with the 1" open spacer...by the way you asked what gear i was running ,right now i'm using 4.30's..

I was only using the RPM as an example. Not recommending it for your here. You shift too high for it and I'd stay single plane. In terms of what you have on hand... I'd say the Street Dominator would be the best single plane compromise bcause it's got less plenum and runner volume. But the M1 I think will make more power where you need it. I'd also baseline without them but I'd try a 1" open spacer on both to see if they pick up. I'd also make sure the intakes are port matched to the heads. RPMs making 280cfm is not as easy as some think.

You will get a better idea of what works or doesn't when swapping intakes and/or adding/removing spacers if you have the opportunity to try different jets. It's not easy, but changing something like this can affect the optimum jetting and squirters for that particular combination. In other words, you change intakes, but the new one may require more carb jetting when it was "optimium" with the previous intake. So just swapping intakes may lean the engine out and it looks like the new intake is down on power. The bigger the difference between intakes or spacers, the better the chances of the carb needing to be recalibrated.

-
Back