4 spd vent leaking

-

LETSRACE

Reaction score
The other day at the track I had gear lube leaking from the vent on the tail of my 4 speed trans. I checked the level with the 1/2" pipe plug and it was just below it. The lube is 80/90 and I never had a problem at the track before with gear lube leaking could the problem be in the tail section?

I have used ATF and the factory whale oil in my 4'speeds. Much better shifting, no negative effects. No oil leaks.

Has the transmission been apart before? There should be a splash shield inside (similar to the ones in valve covers) to keep the oil from coming out of the vent. Maybe its missing. The extension hose like 1968formula suggested might be a good way around taking the trans apart.

I got the trans a long time ago, I never took it apart but when I do I will look for that shield thanks for the info.

I am going to put a hose on the vent and run it up to the engine bay with a catch can, odds are that it will drain back before it makes the catch can.

I would like to try ATF but not sure if it will cause a problem. I like the sound of easy shifting but the easy leak is a concern. Its about 50/50 every one I have talked to has a different reason for either gear lube or ATF. I need the MOPAR GOD to send me a sign.

-
Back