4 speed floor pan to automatic

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
I am in middle of purchasing a 65 valiant. the car has a 4-speed transmission hump. I want to run an automatic with a cable operated floor shifter. the seller is going to cut the 4-speed hump out and take the pedel assmebly. how hard is it to patch the floor back with the auto trans tunnel.

I have done it to my 65 Dart. It wasn't a big deal. You just get an automatic hump from a parts car, line it up, trim it to fit and weld it, or screw it securely in place. You can put an auto shifter over it, but the old carpet won't fit quite right.

the car currently does not have carpet. the car was originally an auto and the previous owner was converting to 4- speed. i wanna go back to auto so my lady can drive the car.

I'd cut out the old, bend up some sheet metal close, or get a donor, install auto carpet. It's ok to lap weld and seam sealer. The whole car is made that way. :D

Would you consider the GM 200r4 overdrive? Some people like their fit better then Mopar 4 spd autos.

Would you consider the GM 200r4 overdrive? Some people like their fit better then Mopar 4 spd autos.

no bow tie bull **** on this car. she is gonna stay mopar all the way. i am going to put a 904 behind my 5.9 and be done with it.

When I was in the beginning stages of my turbo build I was going to convert my 62 Valiant from auto to manual. I cut the trans tunnel to install a 66 hump. Of course plans changed and I needed to cover the hole I made up. I ended up getting a trans tunnel from a 64 dart and here's the end result
IMG_20120424_155136.jpg

no bow tie bull **** on this car. she is gonna stay mopar all the way. i am going to put a 904 behind my 5.9 and be done with it.

:thumblef::thumblef::thumblef::thumblef::thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:
I have all the parts needed for this swap, if you need them.

Id just buy the guy a 4sp hump and keep the one you got in there. he can have the pedals.

Id just buy the guy a 4sp hump and keep the one you got in there. he can have the pedals.

JUST DID THE SAME THING, also replacing the front floor pans. welded some xtra sheet metal straps across the auto. tunnel,they probably won`t hold a trans. explosion, but I feel better w/ them in there. waiting on the pass. side floor pan to arrive.
I have a 4 speed hump if any one wants one-$50 plus the ride.--------------------sorry I didn`t mean to steal the thread!-------------bob:eek:ops:

wouldnt the floor pan look goofy with the 4 speed hump and no 4-speed shifter? he has a brand new carpet kit for the 4-speed hump. wonder if i could just put a cover over the shifter hole and bolt my b&m shifter to the hump?

Uh, teach your lady to drive a manual and keep the 4 speed stuff. Problem solved! :burnout:

she knows how to drive a stick but she doesnt like to. she wants an auto that is what i will build for her. its going to be her car, not mine.

like you said, you can put a flat plate over where the shifter exits the floor and install an aftermarket shift in its place. I did it years ago on a 69 383 4-speed dart I had when I put an auto in it. didn't look weird or bad. It also gives you a cable exit for the new shifter.

wouldnt the floor pan look goofy with the 4 speed hump and no 4-speed shifter? he has a brand new carpet kit for the 4-speed hump. wonder if i could just put a cover over the shifter hole and bolt my b&m shifter to the hump?

I bought a car that had a patch over the shifter hole in the hump and it had an aftermarker auto shifter. It looked ok to me plus was a nice flat area to mount the shifter.

-
Back