4 speed/G3 hemi

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
I just picked up 2 5.7 hemi's. one is a non mds 2003 model the other is a 2012 mds model. i have been looking through threads and didnt see anything on somebody using the A833 behind a hemi, i saw some 727 info, so my guess it will bolt up if a 727 would, it might be out there in the remaining 76 threads to scan but not much time to sit around today.

I am sure there are more, but this guy is doing a build with a 6.4 and an A833.

And my brother is doing a similar build on a Demon.

In both cases, a hydraulic clutch was required. Not sure if there are other options, but something to look into.

I know the stock bellhousing will bolt up to the G3. There is a conversion flywheel required. Starter is specific, but don't have the numbers. Can't think of anything else of importance.

Tripped over this post:

Here is another post that might help. Looks like mechanical linkage can be used with cast iron manifolds.

Whole thread might be worth reviewing. Looks like a fair amount of info about running an A833 behind a hemi.

I ran an 833 behind my 5.7 when I first installed it. I believe I had to trim the input shaft down something like 1/2-5/8", but otherwise it was basically a bolt in setup. I ran it with TTI headers as well, but I think I had to do some modification of my Z bar linkage. I'm not sure I ever had the correct Z bar in it to start with though as my car was a junkyard special when I bought it. I've since swapped to a T56 with a hydraulic clutch though, so don't have anything I can look at again for pictures unfortunately.

Did a 5.7 swap in a 72 Challenger for a customer. Has the A833 O.D. trans. As Map63Vette already mentioned, a conversion flywheel(130 tooth), and trim the input shaft. You can use the Magnum input bearing that presses into the crank register. One caveat, if it's a car 5.7, you'll have to remove a sleeve out of the crank register first. Used TTI headers and bone stock clutch linkage. Rylis Productions has the flywheel. I've used 4 of his flywheels now. Very nice pieces.

Did a 5.7 swap in a 72 Challenger for a customer. Has the A833 O.D. trans. As Map63Vette already mentioned, a conversion flywheel(130 tooth), and trim the input shaft. You can use the Magnum input bearing that presses into the crank register. One caveat, if it's a car 5.7, you'll have to remove a sleeve out of the crank register first. Used TTI headers and bone stock clutch linkage. Rylis Productions has the flywheel. I've used 4 of his flywheels now. Very nice pieces.
I went to the Rylis webpage, turns out they are only about 20 minutes from my house. Any difference in performance with an aluminum flywheel vs steel?

I went to the Rylis webpage, turns out they are only about 20 minutes from my house. Any difference in performance with an aluminum flywheel vs steel?
I would think the engine would rev quicker with the lighter flywheel.

Generally I've heard people recommend steel for street cars and aluminum for racing. You can drive an aluminum flywheel on the street, but can make taking off and clutch stuff a little trickier since it doesn't have the same inertia.

Generally I've heard people recommend steel for street cars and aluminum for racing. You can drive an aluminum flywheel on the street, but can make taking off and clutch stuff a little trickier since it doesn't have the same inertia.
I had an aluminum flywheel on my Omni GLH.... I hated it at the track. The dyno may say one thing, but the track never lies. Maybe because it was such a small engine. A v8 may behave a little differently.... But what do I know.

-
Back