Project turned upside down, please input!

-

cudabuck

Reaction score
Hey all, I have amassed most everything I need to put my 5.7 and 545RFE in my 70 Cuda, and today got info that has stopped me cold and started me second guessing. my360Duster was nice enough to run my flash code, and instead of an 05 with trans control, learned it is an 04. And, using the decode tool, it was built the 329th day of 03. The PCM has three plugs plugged into the four locations, with one plug a little ways down the harness that isn't plugged into anything. So, here are my thoughts:

If I have to chase down another trans pcm AND cut the tunnel and fab a x member, I might be persuaded to start gathering four speed parts and sell the auto. What bellhousing and flywheel would I need?

Am I over reacting? Am I still in okay shape? I don't have a ton of cash to throw at this, so I'm trying to go about this the most cost effective way. I am planning on using a stand alone harness.

Man, I'm stressed out now, but love working on this damn thing!! Please help all, I'm all twisted up. I look forward to any and all of your input.

The bellhousing for a small block is what your after

okay, mine has an EGR so must be an 04. By the way, I can send any pictures of anything that anyone would like to see.

Yeah, a standard small block bellhousing fits just fine if you're using an old 4 speed. I put an 833 behind my 5.7 and kept the bellhousing that was on the 318 that was in it. You will need a 130 tooth swap flywheel as well. I found one on Ebay for $200 which was $100 cheaper than at Moparts Connection (about the only other place I've seen them). You also have to trim the input shaft some (I had to trim between 3/4 and 5/8") and get a register style pilot bearing/bushing. To put the bushing in you will have to chisel out the ring that is most likely currently in the back of the crank. It was a major pain for me and took the better part of 3+ hours, but if you have the right tools it might not be so bad.

If it was built on the 329th day of 03, then it is an 04.

Yeah, a standard small block bellhousing fits just fine if you're using an old 4 speed. I put an 833 behind my 5.7 and kept the bellhousing that was on the 318 that was in it. You will need a 130 tooth swap flywheel as well. I found one on Ebay for $200 which was $100 cheaper than at Moparts Connection (about the only other place I've seen them). You also have to trim the input shaft some (I had to trim between 3/4 and 5/8") and get a register style pilot bearing/bushing. To put the bushing in you will have to chisel out the ring that is most likely currently in the back of the crank. It was a major pain for me and took the better part of 3+ hours, but if you have the right tools it might not be so bad.

The bushing in the back of the crank is only on LX engines (Charger, Magnum etc.) Use a carbide cutter in your die grinder to cut a groove through it, ( relieves the press in tension ) had it out in 10 minutes...

If it was built on the 329th day of 03, then it is an 04.

An I still looking at a seperate trans controller? Chris at Hotwire said it had integral trans control but then I need to explain why there are only 3 plugs in the pcm. And what the other one further down the harness is

An I still looking at a seperate trans controller? Chris at Hotwire said it had integral trans control but then I need to explain why there are only 3 plugs in the pcm. And what the other one further down the harness is
You really don't want to mod the tunnel... "maybe" a R154 5spd ? Strong enough/cheap and good ratios. "Buschi" has been running one 2 years now ? I'm thinkin a 5 speed manual against a gen III=lots-o-fun. ateam.8)

You really don't want to mod the tunnel... "maybe" a R154 5spd ? Strong enough/cheap and good ratios. "Buschi" has been running one 2 years now ? I'm thinkin a 5 speed manual against a gen III=lots-o-fun. ateam.8)

Yes I like that direction. Ill look into that!

The bushing in the back of the crank is only on LX engines (Charger, Magnum etc.) Use a carbide cutter in your die grinder to cut a groove through it, ( relieves the press in tension ) had it out in 10 minutes...

Nice to know what engines come with that. I cut a bunch of grooves in mine, but it was just really stubborn. Finally managed to cut enough of a slot in it to get a pilot bearing puller on it and get it to move, then it pulled out okay. I still have it sitting around, I should take a picture of all the trouble, lol.

Nice to know what engines come with that. I cut a bunch of grooves in mine, but it was just really stubborn. Finally managed to cut enough of a slot in it to get a pilot bearing puller on it and get it to move, then it pulled out okay. I still have it sitting around, I should take a picture of all the trouble, lol.

Yea, It would have been nice if they had just put a groove on the inside so the puller would have something to grab on to.

Attachments

• 000_0027.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 539
> Granpa used a very close fitting dowel, packed the hole with grease and kabam with a hammer. It worked every time except when granpa taught me "new" words. lol., ateam.:toothy10:

i put my sleeve out today and it took me - sorry to say - only 5 minutes. I welded a circle inside and cooled it down immediately. The diameter is shrinking and I could pull it out even nearly with my fingers. I do it all the way with every bearing wich is pressed in.. can show picture if interested...

If the "trans pcm" for an 04 is the same as an 03 I might have one FREE, (just pay shipping) if you are interested. pm me if so. Aj

If the "trans pcm" for an 04 is the same as an 03 I might have one FREE, (just pay shipping) if you are interested. pm me if so. Aj

04's do not have a trans "TCM" only 03's

:happy6:lots of good info hear

Yea, It would have been nice if they had just put a groove on the inside so the puller would have something to grab on to.

looks like I will be doing this tomorrow morning.. as I can't get anything to grab on the beveled back side of the bushing.

Show a pic of the harness and computer(s), and then we can tell you for certain what you have.

How many plugs on the harness for the computer? Should be 4 for an auto and nothing else, 3 for a stick. How many plug ins on the computer? Just trying to help sort this out.

-
Back