4 speed headers?

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i have a 360 goin in my 75 scamp with the 833 4 speed. i want to go headers but i think it will hit the linkages. the tti ones look good but what have you all done? i might have to go auto for a little so would i be able to run the same exhaust for both?

I have the hookers in Tara's dart with a 360 4spd. They fit just fine and you don't have to cut off your left arm.

If you use Hooker Headers on your smallblock A Body, make sure you slow wayyyyy down for every bump and pothole and beer can on the road! Or the bottem tubes will be flat as pancakes in no time! I found that out 20 yrs. ago.

tti and dougs require modifications to the z bar on every car I've ever worked on. They fit great forward of the z bar...

The cheapies drag but fit nice at the z bar. Go figure that one out. :-D

Why not go with hyd. dosn't that make it alot easier. I don't own a 4 speed but know people that have them. The ones using the hyd setup love them.

I have Hedmans with a 4 spd and there are no linkage clearance issues. These also have three tubes on the drivers side that wrap under the center but so far in 25,000 miles they have never touched anything on the road. I did go over the lip into the garage to fast once and one tube touched but it barely deformed the tube.

If you use Hooker Headers on your smallblock A Body, make sure you slow wayyyyy down for every bump and pothole and beer can on the road! Or the bottem tubes will be flat as pancakes in no time! I found that out 20 yrs. ago.

I have heard that am interested to see just how bad it's gonna be.

The ones I have are number 78050. I believe the only A-body specific headers Hednman has are the fender well headers.

I agree with the cheapies hangin low, I have flattned a few sets of them and wont buy them ever again. The roads were I live just have too many bumps and low spots.

I have them,no problems,but then again PO might have cranked up the front abit.Never bottomed out once.

The Hedmans I am using were orignally installed when the car was manual steering. A year latter I swapped to power steering. There was no clearance issues with the power steering but it is much tighter.

IMHO, the best way to install the drivers side header with power steering is to remove the steering column (it only takes 15 minutes). Then unbolt the steering box from the k-member. This will allow you to move the steering box over and out of the way. Place the header in place and bungy it tight to the block, this will give you room to bolt the steering box back inplace. Then bolt the header up and reinstall the steering column.

I am running a set of Performance Automotive Wholesale headers, they were $99.00 specials ten years ago. They cleared the powersteering no problem. There was some dimpling required to clear the pass.side torsion bar and the steering linkage rubbed two of the exhaust tubes next to the oil pan on the driver side if memory serves. I think you also have to drop the center link to install most of them. They have been drug a couple of times but for the most part they have good clearance. I don't think these would interfere with clutch or shift linkage on a manual shift car. As always, anything listed for a mopar should say "can be made to fit":)

You should install new motor mounts, especially if spool type to make sure the headers stay off the steering linkage.

-
Back