4- speed info needed

-

426 dart

426 Dart
Reaction score
I'm in need of some info in regards to which 4-speed to use I'm building a 70 swinger with a 426 max wedge hoping to be in the 600+ horse power range with a mini tub I was told to stay away from the A body 4-speeds due to twisting of the tail shafts if this is true what do you guys recommend ?

The strongest 833 you can build with used parts is an 18-spline. You can build an A-body 18-spline, but it is unlikely to handle 600hp for very long.

Same tail shaft as b and e bodys youll be fine. If your not leaving the hole at 6000 rpm will last you a lifetime.

The 833 4-speed will do you fine,,

The only tailshaft breakage I can remember was the automatics.. behind a Hemi...

Your biggest problems gonna be hooking up,, then you might break something,.. usually a U joint'll give before the trans,,,,

if cash is no problem, Passon just came out with a direct replacement for the mopar 4 speed. it has 5 gears (0.70 OD 5th gear) and is rated at 700ft/lbs

Some of the early A-body 4 speeds use the 904 slip yoke and have 3.08 first gear ratios. Look for a later one with the 727 yoke. I bought a heavy duty 23 spline with the larger 308 bearings and converted it to A-body with a special extension housing sold by passon performance. Besides an 18 spline it is as strong as you can get.

Don't sweat 600hp. I ran 620hp with a 23 spline for years with no issues but I never had much traction. Now I'm running 750hp through an 18 spline with slicks. It's even been launched at the track at 6000 rpm and nothing broke yet. They are very strong transmissions. The clutch is what takes a beating with that much power. Don't skimp on a clutch.

Don't sweat 600hp. I ran 620hp with a 23 spline for years with no issues but I never had much traction. Now I'm running 750hp through an 18 spline with slicks. It's even been launched at the track at 6000 rpm and nothing broke yet. They are very strong transmissions. The clutch is what takes a beating with that much power. Don't skimp on a clutch.
Yep I agree,get a reg 23 spline or an 18 spline[ if you can find one]have it gone thru and rip its guts out,they are tough,listen on the clutch thats good advice along with a good PP and possibly a Hp Bell housing....

-
Back