4 speed question on my 66 Valiant

-

66 Valiant Paul

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have been thinking I want a 4 speed in my Valiant. I have a 727 in it now with a BNM slap shifter. I have a built 318 with a Ford 9 inch rear with posi. My question is what tranny do I want and what kind of money am I looking at to do the swap if I decide to go that way.
Thanks,
Paul

I went with an 833 and after buying the pedals linkage floor hump shifter etc. it was roughly 1200 with a 10 inch clutch and larger bell to accomodate it. Very happy with what it turned out like.

Expect to spend over $1k for everything. The trans you will want is a 68-74 A-body trans.

Thanks guys thats not so bad I think I will like a 4 speed a little better than a 3 speed automatic. What would I sell my 727 for or what is it worth?

It's not worth much unless you have receipts from a good shop and recent. Probably starting at about $100 and up.

Engine rpm torque band, driving habits or application of vehicle, gear ratios in trans vs rear end gear ratio would be the deciding factor of which a833 to get in my opinion.

Hi Guys, I have been thinking I want a 4 speed in my Valiant. I have a 727 in it now with a BNM slap shifter. I have a built 318 with a Ford 9 inch rear with posi. My question is what tranny do I want and what kind of money am I looking at to do the swap if I decide to go that way.
Thanks,
Paul
Remember , I think, you'll need a pilot bushing in the crank.
Another issue is flywheel/clutch size- I think early cars had 9.5 clutch and 340s had 10 1/2. Years ago I replaces the 273 with a 340 in my 65 Valiant wagon - original 4 speed car- and never was able to get the clutch linkage working perfectly- large bellhousing- I think the Z bar was the source of problem
Good luck

give brewers performance a call first it will save you time and money. Nothings worse than buying stuff thinking your saving money and it wont work with your application. been there done that!

Remember , I think, you'll need a pilot bushing in the crank.
Another issue is flywheel/clutch size- I think early cars had 9.5 clutch and 340s had 10 1/2. Years ago I replaces the 273 with a 340 in my 65 Valiant wagon - original 4 speed car- and never was able to get the clutch linkage working perfectly- large bellhousing- I think the Z bar was the source of problem
Good luck
I bought the Z bar and other parts for the conversion from brewers and it is slick as butter.

-
Back