4 speed questions

-

red 64 valiant

Reaction score
How do i tell which transmission i have what numbers do i look for on the case? I think its a 3sp with overdrive 4th gear. Seems like its pretty high and rpms drop alot in 4th ? What do i need to change to regular 4sp and what numbers. Dont know how many spline front shaft is. This is in 65 valiant with 340 4sp was told trans was from a d150 van. Any help would be great

I seen a van 4 speed overdrive at the swapmeet a couple of weeks ago. It was an a body transmission with a weird adapter connected partly to the side cover (LOL- Almost looked like something I'd make in my garage) and a very strange v shaped cross member. But, with all that said it was cast aluminum witch is lighter but likely not as strong. A magnet will give you an answer to that. No mistaking an overdrive if you take the cover off.
To change it to a 4-speed even need all of the guts of a 4-speed gears, counter shaft, out shaft, quite possibly even the input shaft even know it still a one-to-one either way the gears to change I believe I'd have to research that.
but again if it's aluminum you'll probably know what ya got.

How do i tell which transmission i have what numbers do i look for on the case? I think its a 3sp with overdrive 4th gear. Seems like its pretty high and rpms drop alot in 4th ? What do i need to change to regular 4sp and what numbers. Dont know how many spline front shaft is. This is in 65 valiant with 340 4sp was told trans was from a d150 van. Any help would be great

Look here to familiarize yourself with the different options.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/4speed.asp

http://www.passonperformance.com/

The A833 O/D is a poor match for a high reving 340.The splits are just too far apart.
Except for the synchronizers, I don't think there is anything in that box that will interchange with the regular stuff. Well, maybe the small-parts.
Unless you are gonna put a really small cam in the 340(like a 2bbl cam),I would pass on the purchase.

While not optimal as a drag race tranny for the short stroke engines I really enjoy my A833OD behind a 324 CID with swirl ports and a decent cam (292/455) headers etc. The 3.55 gear or lower is the trick. Still a broad span and it does lug if you don't stretch it out but very nice manners. Seems like there are two different O.D. ratios though. Yours may be the higher one. I had 2.45 gears before and it was like driving NASCAR.... I was about to shift into O.D. one night at high RPM when I remembered what tires were on the car..... :O

Last edited:
I found that out also. A .71 and a .73. The parts are all completely different except for first gear, IIRC. I seem to remember one of the O/D gears had just 18 teeth! The other mighta bin 20?
That's how I wound up with multiple spare boxes.
Oh yeah, even my teener winter motor blew that O/D gear up, when I forgot to ease into "4th". Ziiiing! I got lucky; the teeth fell into the bottom, and I was able to drive home(just 15 miles) in direct.

-
Back