4-Speed Rebuilder Recommendation

-

desmo900

Reaction score
I’m looking for someone reputable to rebuild my A833 four-speed transmission. Passon and Brewers are backed up until fall (I can’t even buy one out right). I’m hoping someone can recommend a third option preferably someone with direct experience rebuilding the A833.

It’s a fairly simple process. Jamie sells the book and I get the parts from Brewers. The kits are cheap and it is pretty straight forward. Understand if you don’t want to tackle it yourself.

Aren’t there some special tools required?

It’s a fairly simple process. Jamie sells the book and I get the parts from Brewers. The kits are cheap and it is pretty straight forward. Understand if you don’t want to tackle it yourself.

I’m looking for someone reputable to rebuild my A833 four-speed transmission. Passon and Brewers are backed up until fall (I can’t even buy one out right). I’m hoping someone can recommend a third option preferably someone with direct experience rebuilding the A833.
First, I would not let Passon touch anything of mine. Second, if you are a decent mechanic, do it yourself as mentioned below. I converted my car to a four speed about 20 years ago with a used transmission. I rebuilt it myself. It was VERY easy.

Totally agree.
You will only need some good snap ring pliers and regular hand tools. I had an article from an old Mopar Muscle Magazine and pages printed out from a repair manual. I did take a shaft down to a local transmission to have them press a bearing off and on. I had them install some synchonizers that went on that shaft while they were at it. I did everything else myself.

Even a harbor garbage press added to the till is going to be cheaper than sending it out. I enjoy rebuilding them. I like to use a bucket and piece of plywood with a hole in it to keep the trans vertical when sliding it all together. They say the reverse rod can utilize a special tool, but you can use a bolt and a nut against a socket to push it out. They don’t always need to be pressed out though.

Before you had to read a book, before you had to have a friend show you, now there is youtube!

After @matthon's experience, it'll be a cold day in HELL fore I ever buy anything from Jamie Passon.

like already mentioned snap ring pliers, harbor freight press, bearing removal tool, and a service manual and you’re in business. Possibly a bushing tool if you’re tail shaft bushing is wasted. They’re pretty easy once you have the above.

There are "tricks" beyond Jamie's book that a professional would know if you can find one.

Neil Peckem in NH. Only does A833s and Dana 60s. If you want his number PM me

4 spds are very easy to rebuild. Do it yourself or get a friend to help. Back in the day our Grandfathers built their own Tractors. Or years ago you could go to any local neighborhood shop and get it done. Now? The new generations do everything with their "thumbs" on a hand held screen. I blame it on the government and parents. No one has to learn anything .
They just have to wake up with their clothes already on ,
Everything is Free! Just ask Berney
I watched the video above and is why I thought of this all. The old man in the video above is the best example. Watch the video, He has just basic tools. A broom stick for gods sake. But he gets it done. Get a book and do it! You'll feel good about it.

I bought a refreshed trans from @jtkaaa07
Not sure if he does complete rebuilds or not, but mine has been on the road regularly for some time now with no issues, and he is intelligent with great communication, knows Brewer's iirc too.

And this guy just recommended someone here:
A855 - 5 Speed

They aren't too terribly difficult to rebuild, but they can be tricky to get together without some trial and error. I have been building them for many years, and currently have 5 A body 4 speed's in shop that I need to get done for customers. I'm sure there are books and You Tube videos on doing these, but I have made some of my own tools to make things easier. I can't tell you how many of these thing's I get in boxes torn apart that people gave up on. I am not by any means trying to talk anyone out of trying it, but to take them down the way I do and get into them, you best have a diagram/blowup of parts .

They aren't too terribly difficult to rebuild, but they can be tricky to get together without some trial and error. I have been building them for many years, and currently have 5 A body 4 speed's in shop that I need to get done for customers. I'm sure there are books and You Tube videos on doing these, but I have made some of my own tools to make things easier. I can't tell you how many of these thing's I get in boxes torn apart that people gave up on. I am not by any means trying to talk anyone out of trying it, but to take them down the way I do and get into them, you best have a diagram/blowup of parts .

You will also need to know what will work, what to replace and why, and clearances to check.

I had a reputable shop near Portland , OR that specializes in Muncie’s rebuild it originally. My builder had to send it back to him after it started leaking oil before we even ran it. He “fixed” it and we reinstalled (several years ago). Finally got around to getting the car on the road and she won’t stay in 2nd gear. We ruled out the linkage. Conventional wisdom says it’s the 2nd gear synchros. I’m hesitant to rebuild myself for fear of missing something like this. I’d rather have someone with direct experience with the A833 do it.

I had a reputable shop near Portland , OR that specializes in Muncie’s rebuild it originally. My builder had to send it back to him after it started leaking oil before we even ran it. He “fixed” it and we reinstalled (several years ago). Finally got around to getting the car on the road and she won’t stay in 2nd gear. We ruled out the linkage. Conventional wisdom says it’s the 2nd gear synchros. I’m hesitant to rebuild myself for fear of missing something like this. I’d rather have someone with direct experience with the A833 do it.

Sounds like you probably need new keys and springs, classic symptom of popping out of gear when you let off is bad keys. That’s the problem with shops that don’t know these transmissions specifically. 4 speed transmissions all basically work the same way, the thing with A833’s is there were different variations of the transmissions over the years, mix and matching parts causes nightmares with this kind of stuff. I have got transmissions in with 2 different style hubs in them, one early style narrow key and one late style wide key. This and the wrong shift tabs/linkage are the 2 biggest problems I find when things don’t work correctly. If I can recommend anything, make sure you do your research, and or have someone that knows these transmissions do it for you.

-
Back