4-Speed Rebuilder Recommendation

-
Sounds like you probably need new keys and springs, classic symptom of popping out of gear when you let off is bad keys. That’s the problem with shops that don’t know these transmissions specifically. 4 speed transmissions all basically work the same way, the thing with A833’s is there were different variations of the transmissions over the years, mix and matching parts causes nightmares with this kind of stuff. I have got transmissions in with 2 different style hubs in them, one early style narrow key and one late style wide key. This and the wrong shift tabs/linkage are the 2 biggest problems I find when things don’t work correctly. If I can recommend anything, make sure you do your research, and or have someone that knows these transmissions do it for you.

The keys and the shift forks. You want the newer style forks with the 3 pads on the 1-2 fork.

If you want these transmissions to work correct you have to inspect everything, runout , endplay, and make sure the countershafts are not worn . A couple new bearings, and a fresh coat of paint is not how I do them.

Makes sense.

If you want these transmissions to work correct you have to inspect everything, runout , endplay, and make sure the countershafts are not worn . A couple new bearings, and a fresh coat of paint is not how I do them.

Yet another four-speed or automatic transmission throughout where someone's going through all the hard work of putting it in and taking it out and giving the easy work to somebody to rebuild it...
This is 60 plus year old technology... It should be teached how to rebuild these stick shifts and automatic's in kindergarten these days....
No real special tools required... Tolerances are next to nothing to check. And checking the condition of the gears and such is just more common sense...
On top of the fact that they don't go bad very often... Like said it sounds like bad keyways you'll need three in the front and three in the back... Easy peasy can't put them in wrong...
The a833 is the easiest.. the Muncie for speeds you have to press off second gear and have a press.... The a833 overdrive is a little more difficult because the gears don't step consistently...
If you want to really get easier than falling out of bed rebuild one of our 727 or 904 transmissions...

@desmo900 Don't be intimidated by it. I was at first until it came apart. There is nothing to it. All you need is a good pair of snap ring pliers, and a press for the main/input shaft bearing (but you can have a shop press it on and off for you)

We also used a thin long pipe that sat perfectly into the counter shaft gears to hold the rollers and thrust washers while setting the counter shaft gear in place and then put in the countershaft in and drove the pipe out. (hard to explain but makes sense when you get there.

I have Jami Passing rebuilding the A833 book and it's very detailed with color pictures if you want some guidance. I didn't take near enough pics, but here is mine. I upgraded to an OD gearset.

IMG_20220316_173102535.jpg

IMG_20220316_204325246.jpg

IMG_20220321_184243868.jpg

IMG_20220321_202028755.jpg

IMG_20220304_220422219.jpg

IMG_20220304_220410197.jpg

I watched the video
I got the Passon book
I need a couple parts
Thanx

If you get stuck let us know. You will need a thin metal pipe to slide into the countershaft gears to hold the needles and thrust washers in place so the shaft can be driven in. I think the Passon book tells the dimensions. A buddy of mine had one.

So I received desmo900’s transmission that was rebuilt by another builder, I do not drop names, and it doesn’t really matter. I found a bunch of issues the other builder left, mainly the input bearing hole in the case is fuc$ed and they peened the crap out of it. The bearing is still loose after this “fix” so the lower cluster is drifting and grinding the inside of case, hence the popping out of gear issue. The keys are also questionable and it had some crap bearings from A foreign country I will also not mention. I use only SKF just to save myself headaches. Anyway, I will replace this case with one of my many spare ones and get him back on the road. Another thing that ticks me off is people using etc sealants on these things, it’s a pain to get off and it’s not needed if you use the correct seals .

E190E934-60DA-4256-A38D-FFB2278903E2.jpeg

E3A4862D-7169-4B2C-8BDE-5B8002CDC0D0.jpeg

E6958E63-45E1-4668-9888-AAAFB5A8E927.jpeg

0D713D9B-4FD0-40D3-B24A-955B57339738.jpeg

So I received desmo900’s transmission that was rebuilt by another builder, I do not drop names, and it doesn’t really matter. I found a bunch of issues the other builder left, mainly the input bearing hole in the case is fuc$ed and they peened the crap out of it. The bearing is still loose after this “fix” so the lower cluster is drifting and grinding the inside of case, hence the popping out of gear issue. The keys are also questionable and it had some crap bearings from A foreign country I will also not mention. I use only SKF just to save myself headaches. Anyway, I will replace this case with one of my many spare ones and get him back on the road. Another thing that ticks me off is people using etc sealants on these things, it’s a pain to get off and it’s not needed if you use the correct seals .

View attachment 1715896306

View attachment 1715896308

View attachment 1715896309

View attachment 1715896310

Aluminum cases are weak. I almost always use cast iron. I will use aluminum tail shaft housings though.

Aluminum cases are weak. I almost always use cast iron. I will use aluminum tail shaft housings though.

This is a a cast iron case, and yes the aluminum ones are weak, i believe Brewers makes a ring that fixes the aluminum case problem. Or any good machine shop would be able to do it as well

This is a a cast iron case, and yes the aluminum ones are weak, i believe Brewers makes a ring that fixes the aluminum case problem. Or any good machine shop would be able to do it as well

They messed up a cast iron case? Too sad, but I've seen worse also.

If you get stuck let us know. You will need a thin metal pipe to slide into the countershaft gears to hold the needles and thrust washers in place so the shaft can be driven in. I think the Passon book tells the dimensions. A buddy of mine had one.

I have to track down an output shaft first
I already got a new housing

View attachment 1715896306

View attachment 1715896308

View attachment 1715896309

View attachment 1715896310

What’s the shipping cost from SoCal to Wisconsin?

What’s the shipping cost from SoCal to Wisconsin?
The key is to keep it under 150lbs so that you can ship it UPS ground which is hard to do if you crate it. Brewer’s makes a special cardboard box to ship them in that protects the transmission but keeps the weight down. I was driving thru Ohio last month and I stopped by Brewer’s shop and Dan was kind enough to sell me a box. I’m in SoCal too, I’m happy to sell it to you for what he charged me once I get my transmission back from Jeff.

Desmo, from what little I know about you, you can do a syncro swap.

ha ha! How you doin? Ill page you wed.

Not to Hijack but I am doing an 18 spline now. I have done Muncies, Fords 3&4 speeds and the 833 is by far the easiest on to work on. It is a heavy ***** though. The reverse pin took some time but i rigged up a PS pulley installer to press it out. I posted on FBBO about repointing 2nd and 3rd gears as they are a bit rounded. $th will get a new shaft as it has been cut. Here are some pics of said gears tell me what you think.
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

-
Back