40 and Falling Apart

-

ABodyBetty

Reaction score
Why can't we be more like our cars. My car, Baby, not BOF never nas anything wrong with her. She is older than me and is in better condition. Ever since I hit 40 I feel like I am going down hill. It is just not fair. So far this year I have been diagnosed with osteopenia, vitamin D defficiency, have a bone island in my shoulder, and now have to have surgery. Good grief!!!! I have never been to the doctor and hospital so much in my life. I thought I was in the best shape of my life. I have lost 30 pounds and walk or ride my bike 2 to 3 miles every night. I hope this is not the sign to come. Shout out to BABY who is 40 and still going strong!!!!

I finally went and got some reading glasses(42 here). WOW I can see the keyboard. Now if I could only do something about my beer gut that doesn't require me to stop drinking beer, or do 500 crunches. My wife is 44 and always has something wrong. She was a big time athlete in school. You wouldn't know it now.

Why can't we be more like our cars. My car, Baby, not BOF never nas anything wrong with her. She is older than me and is in better condition. Ever since I hit 40 I feel like I am going down hill. It is just not fair. So far this year I have been diagnosed with osteopenia, vitamin D defficiency, have a bone island in my shoulder, and now have to have surgery. Good grief!!!! I have never been to the doctor and hospital so much in my life. I thought I was in the best shape of my life. I have lost 30 pounds and walk or ride my bike 2 to 3 miles every night. I hope this is not the sign to come. Shout out to BABY who is 40 and still going strong!!!!

Don't worry I'll be here to help!
Try not to feel worse but "Baby" is 45 going on 46!
It wasn't too many weeks ago when I had to shell out every cent I had to have her transmission dropped for 2 freeze out plugs to be replaced. ($150.00 each!) Remember her front left brake lockup in the driveway? She got 3 flats in 1 week in our driveway! I also remember bout the same time her pass side rocker tube clogged, tore apart & cleaned. Also had to adjust rockers, what bout 7 different times while learning! That was a heck of a week! (But she always seams to break down in the driveway at home!!)8) She still needs her radiator recored before winter and has a silver dollar rust spot behind rear pass wheel well that I will be cutting out soon.:pale:
Need I go on?
Doesn't sound like she's doing as well as you thought! LOL!!!
You & her just drive together every day in a happy place with each other.:love7:
You aren't her doctor so you don't remember the bad times with her because you guys are such good buddies!:love6:
Don't worry I'll always be there to help you both along as long as you 2 look after me!!!!:happy10:

Doesn't take the magic mark of "40." Sometimes it's just the abuse on the body when younger and dumber. 37 yo here. Who knew that the use of impact gloves when working with air tools and a few stretching exercises when I first started back in my teens would have kept repetitive motion out of my left elbow (I'm left handed), requiring Tommy John surgery. And thanks to that, the onset of arthritis in my left shoulder? Or all the kneeling on concrete floors gave me the knees of man twice my age? I feel for you, Betty. Hate getting old.

Don't worry I'll be here to help!
Try not to feel worse but "Baby" is 45 going on 46!
It wasn't too many weeks ago when I had to shell out every cent I had to have her transmission dropped for 2 freeze out plugs to be replaced. ($150.00 each!) Remember her front left brake lockup in the driveway? She got 3 flats in 1 week in our driveway! I also remember bout the same time her pass side rocker tube clogged, tore apart & cleaned. Also had to adjust rockers, what bout 7 different times while learning! That was a heck of a week! (But she always seams to break down in the driveway at home!!)8) She still needs her radiator recored before winter and has a silver dollar rust spot behind rear pass wheel well that I will be cutting out soon.:pale:
Need I go on?
Doesn't sound like she's doing as well as you thought! LOL!!!
You & her just drive together every day in a happy place with each other.:love7:
You aren't her doctor so you don't remember the bad times with her because you guys are such good buddies!:love6:
Don't worry I'll always be there to help you both along as long as you 2 look after me!!!!:happy10:

:-D

Wait 'til you hit 50. Then the parts REALLY start falling off. The good thing is your memory starts to get a little weak, so you don't remember what all those parts were for in the first place. ;-) The hurting joints I can deal with, it's the stiffness that kills me. I love working on these old cars, but if i drop a tool or a screw, I have a debate with myself about whether I want to pick it up, or just go buy another one! Wait until you turn your house upside looking for your glasses, only to realize later that they are on your face!

Good luck, and remember that others have survived their 40's!

abodybetty, i feel for you. my wife, in the past few years, has had her gall bladder taken out, been diagnosed with fibromyalga (my spelling is terrible), lupas, multiple types of arthritis, vitamin d deficiency, heel spurs, plantars faciatis, degenerative disc disease and a few other things that i can't remember. we are both retired from the postal service on a medical disabilty and collecting social security disabilty, at the age of 43. aint life grand....

One sure fire way to know you are getting old is when you start commiserating about your aches/pains & medical issues with others.

Talking about this stuff - to me - is like talking about the French. Don't get me started!

Yep! Dry dreams and wet farts!

That's a good one Skybolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm approaching 52 myself and while that sounds terribly old to you guys in your 20's & 30's just remember this: I too was in my 20's & 30's and if your lucky, you'll reach my age. 8)

Yeah, the body is starting to tell me to find a new trade. I've just about had it with wrenching for a living. The wear & tear on my joints and muscles is really becoming a noticeable issue. I wake up tired and go to bed tired..... And I'm starting to feel pain in my leg/hip/and lower back again.

And to think of all the abuse I put my body through when I was younger.....
:angry7:

I'm approaching 52 myself and while that sounds terribly old to you guys in your 20's & 30's just remember this: I too was in my 20's & 30's and if your lucky, you'll reach my age. 8)

Yeah, the body is starting to tell me to find a new trade. I've just about had it with wrenching for a living. The wear & tear on my joints and muscles is really becoming a noticeable issue. I wake up tired and go to bed tired..... And I'm starting to feel pain in my leg/hip/and lower back again.

And to think of all the abuse I put my body through when I was younger..... :angry7:

I don't know about you, but sometimes I look at the younger guys I've worked with and try to give 'em some pointers on "don't do that you'll regret it later." Not that they ever listen. I didn't.... Oh, well. At least most of 'em listen to me when it comes time to pass on experience as to working on the danged things....

And to think of all the abuse I put my body through when I was younger.....
:angry7:

You must be a professional mechanic. I don't know how you guys do it with this new stuff. It looks like back breaking contortionist work. I'll stick with working on the old stuff and take my new stuff to the dealer.

You are "maturing". Wait till you get 55-60. Remember, eat natural foods; die of natural causes.

I second 'Wait Untill you get to 50"

At 50 you realize how much muscle mass you have lost when you have to pick up a bag or groceries and think,

I'll just push the cart to the car.

You cannot stand up without using arms on chair or table top

once standing you fall down more often

you think about climbing ladders, and decide it is for young people, you might fall off

The aches and pains in your, shoulder, hips, knees, back, ______ fill in the blank

Thinking about what you are going to have for dinner and then think, what it will do to you later and change your order

They say your 50's start your golden years, Yeah, you need a wheelbarrel of gold to pay the doctor's......................LOL

30th of Sept I get my knee operated on, in the X ray they seen my back has a badly deteriorated disc, maybe that is why I've got back pain

Let the fun begin

Good Luck and remember to try and laugh about it, it beats crying

I know the feeling - I am 42 and in generally pretty good shape. However, after sanding on a car the other day, I came to do a 12 ounce curl or two and actually let out a little scream when I reached out to grab that nice cold frosted barley pop out of the fridge. My next comment to my wife was, "Where's the iburofen?"

You must be a professional mechanic. I don't know how you guys do it with this new stuff. It looks like back breaking contortionist work. I'll stick with working on the old stuff and take my new stuff to the dealer.

I'm the guy you come to....... I'm a technician for Infiniti, and let me tell you, the technology they're building into new cars is mind boggling. Laser's to keep your distance from the vehicle in front of you when using cruise control, lane departure warnings, auto-braking using the aforementioned laser, aerial camera views to assist in parking, back-up sensors, navigation systems, built-in Bluetooth, etc. <sigh....> If people would use their mirrors and turn signals it would be a miracle..... :angry7:

As for personal health, I'm no wuss. I eat right with plenty of vegetables, fiber, natural ingredients, fish, chicken, Tofu, etc. I eat red meat MAYBE twice a month since a good steak will give me indigestion for 2 days. I also used to be VERY over weight....and smoked cigarettes. I also walk and use stairs when given a choice. So, I've lost over 100 lbs, quit smoking cigarettes, exercise, and diet.

And I still feel like ****.....
:spiderma:

And I still feel like ****..... :spiderma:
LMAO!!

I went to the DR last month for a checkup. He said I have the body of an 18 year old........cat. :D
Kidding of course, but I must say, at age 44 (next month) I still feel pretty good. I wish I could give up the smokes like a lot of you guys did, but I have failed repeatedly.
I am in construction, and that might contribute to my physical health being as good as it is due to heard work, heavy lifting, working outside in clean air etc.
I also lost a lot of weight a few years ago. I was 174LBS and at 5'6" tall, I was pretty pudgy. I went down to 140LBS in about 10 months time, and I seem to have "settled in" at 155-160 for the last year or so.

Funny thing, I lost my mom to cancer when she was 39, but my pop is now 81 and in as good a shape now as he was when he was in his late 40's. Lost my brother to a heart attack when he was 40, and my sister is a healthy 58.
I hope I do as well as my pop.
Good Luck to all of you. Money, employment, cars etc are meaningless if you are not healthy.

George

I know the feeling - I am 42 and in generally pretty good shape. However, after sanding on a car the other day, I came to do a 12 ounce curl or two and actually let out a little scream when I reached out to grab that nice cold frosted barley pop out of the fridge. My next comment to my wife was, "Where's the iburofen?"

Don't eat IB while drinking barley/hops! :angry7:
Need 12 hour between any "hops" & IB!!
It'll cause liver damage!!!!

Back in the early 80's in the USAF after drinking all day/night when it was time to go to bed everyone would eat 2-4 200mg IB before hittin the rack and avoid headach in the morning the follow up with IB & coffee in the morn!
Today? Cist inside liver! BEWARE!!

I'm with Fastback/John on this one. I'll be 54 at the end of the year (I think) and up until last year had been pulling wrenches since I started off in a motorcycle shop when I was 14. Over the years I graduated to really big stuff and now look back and ask myself "what the hell was I doing". I used to be able to make a 3/4" drive long handle torque wrench click at its maximum of 500 ft/lbs with one arm. Now the only clicking would probably be in my shoulder. One of the really neat thing all you wrenchers have to look forward to is reoccuring tendonitis in both elbows. That's when you wake up one morning and your elbow area aches like hell then you remember it must of happened 4 days ago when you torqued down that cylinder head. By the way, stay away from the cortisone shots in the elbow muscles cuss they just screw up your system, just wrap the hell out of the offending muscle for a month or so. Oh yea, I almost forgot, (get used to that too) you know one of the biggest problem you'll have as you get over 50, your teeth decide it's time to screw with you big time.:angry7:

Terry

I'm 56 still don't have to take any perscription drugs, go to the doctor just for check ups. Yeah the pain is there in my shoulders and mostly in my hand, but screw it I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet!
Now the eyes are a different story! What use to be clear up close is now a blur till I put on the reading specs, which are a real PITA working on the dart.

We asked my Great Grandfather, who was 93 at the time, what he thought helped him to live so long? His answer was drinking gin and chewing tabacco!

Congadulations on loosing the extra weight Betty and Fastback, that something I need to do! And that sure isn't as easy in your 50's as it was in your 20's.

I thought I was in good shape. I lost 30 pounds and started walking 2.5 miles a night. I also stopped eating a lot of junk food. When I started all this that is when it seemed I started falling apart. I am suppose to get a bone scan of my body because they found a "bone island" in my shoulder. They want to rule out bone cancer. I cancelled the appoingtment because I had another issue going on and now that has to be operated on. I am trying not to let the whole osteopenia and Vit. D deficincy get me down. I plan to continue to walk and ride my bike every night. My grandmother is in her upper 80's , has osteoperous and she plays with the great grandkids and takes care of my grandpa who can't get around. I hope I grow up to be like her.

-
Back