400 (451) in '68 valaint????

-

mda440

Reaction score
I'm looking for any info or suggestions on putting a 400/727 in a 1968 valiant. I came across a 2 door Valiant slant six and am debating on buying. I think I read it's possible from 68 and up without months of fabrication? Also will slant six K member work and use Schumacher mounts, or is it better to look for a different car??? Thanks for any help/suggestions.

The valiant has the same engine compartment as a Dart or Barracuda which both came 383's from the factory. I've heard the shumacher kit works well but get BB torsion bars. You could get a 73+ K-frame and use the spool mounts that came on the 400. Are you going with headers or factory exhaust manifolds? If factory manifolds you will have to find the drivers side one for an A body (expect it to cost). TTI makes headers that are supposedly easy to install. Hope this helps

You can leave the T bars, unless you go factory manifolds and stock iron heads. I would suggest loosing both. EIther a set of Edelbrocks or the Indy SREZs will be a better choice, and help the weight thing. The easiest deal is a motor plate, and a cable shifter, with a good set of under chassis headers. The factory mounts are the best for a street car. You'll need to upgrade the cooling system, and add frame connectors..Then go have a ball.

Here you go a 400 block in a 68 Valiant.

engineinstall025.jpg

engineinstall026.jpg

engineinstall027.jpg

Ya, very sweet ride, thats probly an alterkation unit or something huh? Very clean but alot more room than with say a power steering unit and stock K frame (spool even) but it can be done. The duster I worked on with a 440 is very snug and a few heating problems because of the tightness but we are getting them worked out.

So many ways to get there. First you need to determine what you want the car to do, handle well, go fast in a straight line, etc. IN MY OPINION every a-body that is street driven NEEDS disc brakes, bigger torsion bars, and a front sway bar. Once you've driven one that's set up right you won't like them any other way. And, yes you can make a big block a-body handle well.....

Interesting idea's on here............. I've done a fair # of these swaps and B-engins work very well with stock manifolds. The driver side can get a little tight but 73 and up smog logs work well as do the earler highflows. I'm running 66 383 manafolds on my dart right now and once again it just works. Passenger side I have had NO problems getting any of the early'r manifolds in. Torsion bar upgrade is good for lots of street driveing and I'd say a swaybar is NOT nessisary if you up grade them bars. Mounts just call up Marry at Schumacher........ I always use their mounts and they really are fool proof and make things look stock. I'm sure their will be a few doubt'rs and I would like to get my post count up so bring it on!

-
Back