400 big block

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL It's all good my Mopar brethren. Far as I'm concerned, you cannot preach GOOD information too much!

you posted the mrl stuff right before i did, i love that build and it stuck in my head

i went edited my post after Rick discovered it was an old thread, but there can never be enough information out there :D

Yeah I think that build would be the perfect street setup with good intake 4 barrel and headers.

Yeah I think that build would be the perfect street setup with good intake 4 barrel and headers.
thats the only thing i would change for a street car, a dual plane weiand/ 750 holley , and a set of tuned 1 7/8 headers , in a A Body with a built 727 and a set of 3.23= screamer

Some guys lookin' for BB info. find this thread and there might be some life left in it afterall................preach on brothers :D.

400 blocks rule!!!517 cid 2700lb car =5.322's and there is more to come next year!

2-1.jpg

Hey anyone read that article about quench dome heads vs 452 type heads the KB pistons 215 241 252 280 interference with the dome top pistons hitting the heads ??? which heads better ? 452 906 346 915 ? so far the 1977 400 block had bored out to .060 4.432 the shop says there's even more room to .100 do they make pistons that big ?

400 block sonic checked milled .060 over 4.432
skb 480 pistons total seal rings
452 heads hardened seats manely stainless steel valves 2.08 . 1.74 viton seals
Voodoo Cam shaft Dur ext 250 int256 .445 .444 lift cam .112 center line ..
Gear drive by cat.
Voodoo spring n retainer set .
7 quart pan n 1/2 pick up.. Mopar HV pump.
.40 copper head gaskets ..

452/906/346 all have open chambers, and from what little I've read have similar ports. But, IIRC, most folks opt for the 906s unless they want hardened seats, in which case I believe the 452 is what you'd want. The 516/915 heads have the closed chambers and the 516s sport smaller exhaust valves (1.60" as opposed to most with 1.74"). The 516 also have smaller ports and alledgedly aren't as good a casting-I can't speak to this though. All that being said, I'm sure with good machine work, and some good porting, any of them would make power on a 400 or derivative. 915s are (if I read it correctly) 440 Magnum heads introduced in '67 or '68 and are pretty desirable for high compression in a B/RB engine.

If you google big block mopar heads, there's an article from Mopar Muscle where they did some comparison and work to various heads and reported all the differences...block out about an hour and you'll be able to read through it and view all the charts in there.

I think Diamond makes pistons that would fit that much overbore, and if they don't list them, they can be made. Also, I wanna say JE makes 400 pistons as well.

I probably didn't answer any questions you had there...I just looked at the pistons you mentioned there...the 215 and 280 pistons are 400 stroker pistons (3.75" stroke) and are made to fit the relieved heads (906 452 346) with the correct head gasket and proper deck clearance. If you use 915/516 heads, then yes-you'd hit...in a bad way. The other two part numbers you mentioned (241 252) aren't even for a Mopar V8...the 241s are for a 4 cylinder, and the 252s are for a Chevy.

There's no need to bore so much. You'll not ever know the difference in power between .060 and .100, but you'll have much less block left. The bore size has minimal effect on power output.

I probably didn't answer any questions you had there...I just looked at the pistons you mentioned there...the 215 and 280 pistons are 400 stroker pistons (3.75" stroke) and are made to fit the relieved heads (906 452 346) with the correct head gasket and proper deck clearance. If you use 915/516 heads, then yes-you'd hit...in a bad way. The other two part numbers you mentioned (241 252) aren't even for a Mopar V8...the 241s are for a 4 cylinder, and the 252s are for a Chevy.

I meant KB 251 + 30's .. which would only work with 383 or 400 rods n stock crank I believe .. The heads looking for the post about the squish effect the quench read somewhere the 452's don't have that area or effect which heads do seen the MRL article but no reference to that question .. Found pistons to replace the 251's skb 280 + 60 for a 4.402 over bore the shop is finishing up they had to go past .30 over due to a pit in one bore .

I looked up the 251s; they are for a 3.75" stroke with B rod length (6.358") in a 400 block + 060 overbore. So, they will work with stock rods, but not stock crank unless you're turning a 440 crank down to 400 mains.

They will provide the "squish" you're talking about, but only with the right head gasket and proper deck clearance. Summit's description says there's a .260" quench dome...that's a helluva dome for that relief in the heads. So, make sure your pistons are set properly in the bore with the correct thickness head gaskets, otherwise you might not have enough clearance to run them.

452s do indeed have the same chamber as 906/346 heads (manufacturing variances aside)...open with a quench relief. There's someone on here with a pair for sale if you need a visual...or google it...or eBay search...any number of ways to verify this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs"]Monty Python-Bring out your dead! - YouTube[/ame]

----------------------------------------------------
:) :) :) :D:D:D

Nice-love that movie...didn't realize the age of the thread...thought I was helping someone out, doh!

All good, just having some fun. The smileys don't seem to be in the post for some reason.

Remember, always look on the bright side of life...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back