400 motor parts

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 400 in my new swinger… it’s already built but doesn’t have aluminum heads. Honestly I don’t know anything about the internals of the engine either, besides it all being newly rebuilt and never started, it has the XE274H comp cam in it, the guy who was building the car passed away.

Do the Aluminum SM CNC heads fit on the 400 blocks as well? How about the roller rockers?

Anything else I should look for on Black Friday?

IMG_5567.jpeg

IMG_5566.jpeg

IMG_5568.png

IMG_5569.png

I believe the intake rockers need to be offset on those heads.

Offset intake rockers required, exhaust side accepts standard-spec rockers.
PCE261.1186 - 1.5 630' Offset.
PCE261.1174 - 1.6 630' Offset.

Oh, and love the old school Tarantula :)

And the supplied valve springs should be compatible with the xe274.

Max Lift: .650
Coil Bind: .725
Intake Install: 135lbs @ 1.9
Exhaust Install: 135lbs @ 1.9
Closed Sear Pressure: 135lbs
Open Seat Pressure: 280lbs

Comp recommends the 911

Max Lift:0.64
Installed Height:1.9
Coil Bind Height:1.2
O.D. of Outer:1.524
I.D. of Outer:1.11
Spring Style:Single
Spring Rate:373
Seat Pressure:122
Damper:Yes

Not knowing the quality of lifters kinda sucks. Just make sure you're meticulous with the break in

Without ever hearing that 400 run or driving it, how do you know it even needs an upgrade? Have you pulled a valve cover? It may already have good rockers on it. Heck, the heads could be heavily ported. Either way, I'd be hesitant sinking money into it without getting a solid baseline first.

Without ever hearing that 400 run or driving it, how do you know it even needs an upgrade? Have you pulled a valve cover? It may already have good rockers on it. Heck, the heads could be heavily ported. Either way, I'd be hesitant sinking money into it without getting a solid baseline first.

Umm… I don’t “know” it needs an upgrade, but I know it needs upgraded… if you know what I mean? :p

I’m not even sure this motor will stay in the car as is…. The car has a long way to go before it can be driven, or even started, but Black Friday sales only happen once a year… I’ll probably buy more small block heads too lol.

Those are Victor copy heads, and a bit large for an unknown build 400. They do require offset rockers. If you're willing to risk speedmaster aluminum rockers, only around $300.(to the best of my knowledge there are no stainless rockers with the required offset)
If you want good rockers to go with those heads, Hughes are around $1000, T&D around $1500.
For your unstarted, unknown 400, I'd suggest 440 source, or other smaller port aluminum heads.
The current state of the art street 400/440/ stroker head is a 240cc or 270 cc Trick Flow head. Those speedmasters are 50-80 ccs bigger, belong on a 512.

I believe the intake rockers need to be offset on those heads.

Offset intake rockers required, exhaust side accepts standard-spec rockers.
PCE261.1186 - 1.5 630' Offset.
PCE261.1174 - 1.6 630' Offset.

Oh, and love the old school Tarantula :)

I’m not sure what this tarantula means…

are those the part numbers for rockers needed with the cnc heads, I’ll search the site for them.

My buddy Tony loved the SM stuff and he had all the different brands but would always tell me for the money get the SM stuff. Maybe one day I’ll get some TF heads too.

are those the part numbers for rockers needed with the cnc heads, I’ll search the site for them.

My buddy Tony loved the SM stuff and he had all the different brands but would always tell me for the money get the SM stuff. Maybe one day I’ll get some TF heads too.
Those rocker numbers were from speedmasters site on the head spec page.
Scroll down to the bottom
Mopar Chrysler BB 383 440 325cc 78cc CNC Hydraulic Flat Assembled Cylinder Heads

The TM-6 intake you have is referred to as a Tarantula by Edelbrock

Those are Victor copy heads, and a bit large for an unknown build 400. They do require offset rockers. If you're willing to risk speedmaster aluminum rockers, only around $300.(to the best of my knowledge there are no stainless rockers with the required offset)
If you want good rockers to go with those heads, Hughes are around $1000, T&D around $1500.
For your unstarted, unknown 400, I'd suggest 440 source, or other smaller port aluminum heads.
The current state of the art street 400/440/ stroker head is a 240cc or 270 cc Trick Flow head. Those speedmasters are 50-80 ccs bigger, belong on a 512.

I’m sure this motor is not going to stay in this car as is… yes stroker is what I have been looking at for the 400, but the 440 source 500 Kit specifically. Why? I have not a damn clue on the difference of kits except 12 CU IN.

The TF heads look amazing, do they come 40% off this time of year as well?

1k for rockers?! Dang. But no I don’t want the red n blue aluminum rockers from SM. Don’t know much about them.

Those rocker numbers were from speedmasters site on the head spec page.
Scroll down to the bottom
Mopar Chrysler BB 383 440 325cc 78cc CNC Hydraulic Flat Assembled Cylinder Heads

The TM-6 intake you have is referred to as a Tarantula by Edelbrock

I saw that after scrolling down, figured it was a part number so started looking.

I didn’t realize it had a nick name, funny.

I honestly know nothing about BB stuff, and really barely know much about small block stuff.

You can probably get 10% off the TF heads at summit (they own trick flow), but a pair will still be close to $3000. Heads have skyrocketed in price like everything else, since you-know-who. (They were around $2100 when they first came out.
You would probably be better off with the speedmasters non-cnc version. IF they are on 40% off sale, and IF you are willing to run SM red and blue aluminum rockers.
Even the other Chinese castings, like promaxx (and others using different names, but the same castings) are not "budget" anymore.

I know you had a good relationship with Tony, and his help with the small block stuff was priceless. But sadly he's no longer with us, and you've moved east, so maybe it's a good time to delve into something new. Good luck with this new project I probably won't be of much help, but i'll try and follow along. :)

TM=Tarantula Manifold

I know you had a good relationship with Tony, and his help with the small block stuff was priceless. But sadly he's no longer with us, and you've moved east, so maybe it's a good time to delve into something new. Good luck with this new project I probably won't be of much help, but i'll try and follow along. :)

I’m all for trying new stuff but I’m still what my wife likes to call “cheap,” I like to think frugal.

It was more than a nickname. That was Edelbrock's marketing name. They came with these stickers on the water outlet as well as a big Tarantula on the box.
TARANTULA INTAKE.jpg

Also, they made a Scorpion intake, but it got a cast in scorpion. I've never seen a cast in Tarantula, although I'm sure there could have been some. Here's a Scorpion intake.
SCORPION INTAKE.jpg

You can probably get 10% off the TF heads at summit (they own trick flow), but a pair will still be close to $3000. Heads have skyrocketed in price like everything else, since you-know-who. (They were around $2100 when they first came out.
You would probably be better off with the speedmasters non-cnc version. IF they are on 40% off sale, and IF you are willing to run SM red and blue aluminum rockers.
Even the other Chinese castings, like promaxx (and others using different names, but the same castings) are not "budget" anymore.

Since Bidenomics took over the country by storm? The you know, transitionary inflation? The printing of 30% of the countries currency in the last what 5 years?

I figured getting the cnc built version would be the best bang for the buck kind of like the small block heads. Could I do better on the track with 5k in a top end? Yes, but honestly my current car drives 4 miles to the office and is just for ***** and grins, plus this car won’t see the asphalt for a while, it’s been out on hold for the house projects the last 4 months, the garage is almost clean enough for me to get to the car lol.

It was more than a nickname. That was Edelbrock's marketing name. They came with these stickers on the water outlet as well as a big Tarantula on the box.
View attachment 1716169961
Also, they made a Scorpion intake, but it got a cast in scorpion. I've never seen a cast in Tarantula, although I'm sure there could have been some. Here's a Scorpion intake.
View attachment 1716169964

Ok I totally want one of those scorpion manifolds now! That is pretty dang cool!

Old mopar in 20 years or any old car in 20 years?!
The last Mopar was a 2002 Dualie. Dealt with several brand muscle thru the years. Turn 65 in Feb so i think my days are done. But i did have a good 30yrs run, so i'm more than satisfied watching y'all have at it.

Ok I got some rockers, small block heads but no BB heads. I guess I’ll just wait and decide later what heads to get, do all CNC BB heads require offset rockers?

My buddy Tony loved the SM stuff and he had all the different brands but would always tell me for the money get the SM stuff.
Yep Tony liked the Speedmaster stuff , but he failed to mention how much Brian was charging to set them up before he put the heads to use.
PBR( John) is a proponent of those heads too, but he puts a fair amount of work in them.
Nothing wrong with the heads but if you're wanting a screamer, Trick Flow will get you there for far less money in the end.

-
Back