400 to 512 Build

-
That 400 is lookin' good... I'm thinking about ditchin' my 383 build and going with a big cube 400... One more 600 eddy and trim and fit the scoop and I'll have my induction set up...

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 298
Casting flash and sand has to go. That crap can act as a stress riser and/or fall off in get into the pan. Will it make it faster? NO, but it will go fast longer. This is called "De-Burring the Block".

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 284
Note the milling here. Even though this is just to clearance the dip stick, it is crude. Does it effect strength of the block? Nope, just looks bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 286
512 cubes in a lightened '66 straight axle valiant should be pretty wicked... I'm looking for a 400, I'm following your build...

Thanks Green and yeah buddy, that would kick butt.

I'm shooting for a true 650hp here in the rare air. This build could do 725 or better in good air with more fuel and a less agressive timing curve. ASSUMING I even hit 650..... we shall see....

Thanks Green and yeah buddy, that would kick butt.

I'm shooting for 650hp here in the rare air. This build could do 725 or better in good air with a more agressive timing curve. ASSUMING I even hit 650..... we shall see....

I like those HP numbers... I'll be racing down south in good air at an outlaw track.. One part at a time but I'll get there.. I'd have to spend a crap load of cash anyway to reach the performance level I want out of the 383 so why not just spend a little more and go BIG...

Green, I got this block from a kid who damn near killed it in his ramcharger. He said "Why the fk do want this piece of crap? It barely moved my RC". I said "Well, if the block itself 'aint wasted and it truly is a 400, it will suit my purpose". He said "what's that?". I said 650hp in my Duster...."

He about busted his gut and said "It's yours for 75 bucks". I checked the numbers, looked though the spark plug holes (in a driving rain storm) and said "I'll tell you what, I can't see if the main saddles are tore up but if they're good, here's 80 bucks. Go get your 360." :)

Sweet build RC. I have that exact same engine hoist. Trust me it's worth every penny. The entire neighborhood has used it.

I like those HP numbers... I'll be racing down south in good air at an outlaw track.. One part at a time but I'll get there.. I'd have to spend a crap load of cash anyway to reach the performance level I want out of the 383 so why not just spend a little more and go BIG...

a conservative estimate is 15% HP loss here at Bandimere...... Pro Stock runs much higher RPM here and still is 5/10th slower, TF and FC way overdrive thier blowers....

Sweet build RC. I have that exact same engine hoist. Trust me it's worth every penny. The entire neighborhood has used it.

Thank you BD. I'm in way over my head hence all the data from DC engines. I've never built an engine to this caliber and I have a lot to learn. I think I can do this for about 5k, lol. I've been planning this build for litteraly 3 years, ever since I aquired the Duster. So far I have 160 bucks for the sonic testing and block bake, plus the cost of the block so I'm at $240 bucks....

10-4 man, that hoist Rocks!

Edit: During my one hour conference with Dave Capriotti of DC engines and I brought up a bunch of stuff.... His main reply was "Joe, I know you have no sponsors and not alot of dough... spend your money on **** that won't come flying through the oil pan or valve covers." lol.

Heres the only track I'll be running at.. It's a good track, the owner resurfaced it about 2 years ago.. 10.5 outlaw cars run there and some pro/mods test&tune at it.. 1/8 mile...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwEtkQsb_Ss"]YouTube - ShadySide 10.5s ShootOut[/ame]

Heres the only track I'll be running at.. It's a good track, the owner resurfaced it about 2 years ago.. 10.5 outlaw cars run there and some pro/mods test&tune at it.. 1/8 mile...

YouTube - ShadySide 10.5s ShootOut

Dude! These people are animals, lol! Go over the centerline like that at Bandimere and they are DONE!

Whew, just watching that stuff made me freak!

Here's some fun with a bit of room though....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSfW84I673o"]YouTube - Jet engine drag car goes 6.11@ 259mph in the 1/4 mile Bandimere speedway 05-15-2010[/ame]

Talk about leaving a carbon footprint, Al gore would have a heart attack... Thats a nice track... Theres not many mopars at shadyside, I'm hopein' my valiant will do pretty good in footbrake..

Green...

Be careful! I like our members in one piece. I've done some crazy stuff in my day but even a big NHRA sanctioned track gives me all the excitement I need.

Talk about leaving a carbon footprint, Al gore would have a heart attack... Thats a nice track... Theres not many mopars at shadyside side, I'm hopein' my valiant will do pretty good in footbrake..

Fk AG, LOL! Way more mopars in Colorado than any might think. I'll be racing in FB too.

You just may kick my *** in that light *** Valiant too!

Green...

Be careful! I like our members in one piece. I've done some crazy stuff in my day but even a big NHRA sanctioned track gives me all the excitement I need.

I'm gonna do plenty of test&tunein' and feel the valiant out before I race it... That straight axle might put me into the wall the first pass... Safety for me and the guy in the other lane is my number one concern....

You say occasional street driving. What are your octane requirements gonna be.? Have you thought about ethanol since compression is up there and the airs so thin.

I'm gonna do plenty of test&tunein' and feel the valiant out before I race it... That straight axle might put me into the wall the first pass... Safety for me and the guy in the other lane is my number one concern....

Smart man! thinking ahead will keep you on track. Don't ever be afraid to let off...

You say occasional street driving. What are your octane requirements gonna be.? Have you thought about ethanol since compression is up there and the airs so thin.

DD, actually I can get away with more compression here in the thin air, but after talking to Dave, I'm going to drop it down to 10.63 for pump premium. I think I can get away with the original plan of 12:75 since I have the RC running on PP with iron heads and no real quench with super mild cam and 10.2:1, but he disagrees.....

He says that that the much larger bore will cause detonation problems due to time/flame front travel. I have to take his word on this as I have no previuos experience with BB Mopars.

Keep in mind that when I say "Streetable", this is for me, not bringing kids to school or driving to 7-11. Weekend, late night blasts is all during the summer plus getting in the money brackets. It's just a toy....

What he,s saying is exactly why my pump gas 500 isnt any bigger. I was going to build a 528 until the pro builder i know explained that the longer stroke would cause the piston to dwell at the top longer before it rolls over. Not good. This is when I decided to build a 10.5 to 1 500 with 4.15 stroke. waiting on my title to get sent back from dmv so I can road test it but it sounds healthy.Hope your build goes smooth.DD

That block looks really good.

What he,s saying is exactly why my pump gas 500 isnt any bigger. I was going to build a 528 until the pro builder i know explained that the longer stroke would cause the piston to dwell at the top longer before it rolls over. Not good. This is when I decided to build a 10.5 to 1 500 with 4.15 stroke. waiting on my title to get sent back from dmv so I can road test it but it sounds healthy.Hope your build goes smooth.DD

Thanks DD, we'll see what happens and it sounds as though both our macninists have the same idea.

That block looks really good.

Thanks SS, so far so good. One ear is broke off but I'll be running a motor plate and Dana 60. I mentioned this to Dave and he said this was the way to go anyway. From what we talked about, I'll be beyond conventional motor mounts. Like I said, this is way, way new territory for me. :-D Fabrication is mandatory.

ive been keeping a eye on this build i plan to do a 512 i hope soon..

-
Back