400hp 360

-

75dart

Reaction score
I want to build a 400HP 360 to go into my 75 dart sport. Is this in anyway possible.

yes its very possible i was looking at doing the same thing for my cuda :D, i used desktop dyno with a setup i was experimenting with had 425 hp at 5500 rpm. im unsure of how accurate it is, here are some links to some builds :thumblef:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=3374

there was a link to a bunch of build specs for a 360 but i cant find it :cwm10: i'll keep searchin and post it up when i find it or anyone else does

I got 449 hp on the dyno from my 72 340, the only question is how much do you want to spend. It runs on pump gas with J heads. I wouls guess if I went with some aluminum heads all ported up i could get closer to 500. If you want I can look thru my stuff and tell you the basic recipe. I think I spent too much on the cast heads... I would reccomend going with Al heads from the start and making sure your bottom end can take it. I think we went to 6200 to get that HP out of er.

Sure. 400 hp is a great level for street driving and strip racing. Depending on what you're starting with for a core, and what you may have to use, there are a bunch of ways to get there. For good torque and mid range, I would run a flat tappet solid cam, instead of hydraulic, but you could run a hydraulic if you feel the need. Figure a typical mid 70s 360 truck engine core.. KB flat top pistons, stock rods with ARP bolts, stock crank turned and polished, internal balanced assembly, windage tray pkg, main studs. For heads, if you had the $$, Edelbrocks would be nice, but not a "must have". If not, then a good valve job, I'd run 2.02 intakes, bowl blend, gasket match, and mill the heads to get 9.8:1 compresion. a solid cam, say, 235ish @ .050 (i.e. Comp Magnum 282S or XE274S) and an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap. any headers you like, and a 750carb..and youre be well over 400. A calmer 400hp would be an XE274H hydraulic instead of pricier solid. What's the budget?

I want to go with iron heads. I heard that you can put the big valves in the 302 heads and get the compression ratio up. Would I be better off doing that or run some other heads. If I should run other heads what ones should I run. Is the RPM air gap a better intake on this application and the mopar m1 single plane. I will probably run a thermo quad. Im not on that tight of a budget, I just want to do it right.

You can put bigger valves into 302s. I wouldnt, but you could. I like to run 2.02s with 360/340s, but not everyone does. I also would want the larger base port size. The longer stroke of the 360 IMO will make the smaller 302 design too restrictive over 4500rpm. I'd run the factory 360 head, clean them up, and add the 2.02 intakes. The M1 is going to make more hp, but not as much torque as the AG does, and the AG will do it at a lower rpm. I dont thin the Tquad will fit the AG without an adaptor tho.

I dont thin the Tquad will fit the AG without an adaptor tho.
That is correct Sir. Been there done that doesn't fit under the hood of a '73 twin scoop Cuda.
Also agree on the 302 heads. The 360 heads are better for the task at hand.
400 HP can be made with a Comp 280* Magnum series cam. (Not Dodge Magnum, read roller cam) Well preped heads will do. Bowl porting insures performance based on the year head you have/get for this build.

What heads do you have? A default cam without knowing would be what moper said, the comp cams XE274. It would be good due to the split duration with or witout ported heads, makes a good street machine cam. It's lift is under .500. This is good for use with unported heads and eases the mind with valve clearance issues. (Porting adds to the mix well)

moper said:
You can put bigger valves into 302s. I wouldnt, but you could. I like to run 2.02s with 360/340s, but not everyone does. I also would want the larger base port size. The longer stroke of the 360 IMO will make the smaller 302 design too restrictive over 4500rpm. I'd run the factory 360 head, clean them up, and add the 2.02 intakes. The M1 is going to make more hp, but not as much torque as the AG does, and the AG will do it at a lower rpm. I dont thin the Tquad will fit the AG without an adaptor tho.
Moper I couldn't agree more. Terry.

Im going to use some 360 heads and put 2.02, 1.60 and ported.

Just a note..The term "ported" gets thrown around a lot..there are a bunch of ways to "port" a set of heads. The right actions make for good power gains, with no loss in low end. Some other ways to sacrifice a little low end, but get better gains at higher rpms..And there are still other ways that look really good, but sacrifice low end, and cant deliver high end either. Be sure your shop can do a nice job.

edelbrock claims their performer rpm package makes 399 hp with the eddy rpm aluminum heads,rpm cam/rpm intake/and carb

you need to view and pay attention to the info in the thread "Cylinder Heads 101" by BJR racing. do a search for the thread. 202s are not the answer all the time. :salut:

7174duster said:
edelbrock claims their performer rpm package makes 399 hp with the eddy rpm aluminum heads,rpm cam/rpm intake/and carb
I have a flier saying 417 HP out of a 340. You know dang well the 360 will do it to at a lower RPM and more torque.

This might help you out. This combo dyno'd 390 HP, and 412 ft/lbs of torque before the 1 inch spacer, MSD, headers and carb were added. They used stock ignition, a TQuad, and generic headers with no spacer.

360, .040 over
KB pistons, final compression 10.5 to 1
Magnum heads, 2.02 valves, ported to the max
M1 dual plane intake
Holley 3310 750cfm vaccumn secondary's
1" carb spacer
MSD Ignition, 6AL, Blaster 2 coil, 8534 Dist.
Comp cams XE268H, 1.6 rockers, total lift .509
Dynomax ceramic headers, 1 5/8 primaries to 3" outlets

Jack

Coyote, if it's not too much trouble..How much $ was the head work to get Magnums "full ported"? And how does it idle? I'd suspect it idles like a kitten, and is VERY snappy around town.

moper,

I don't know how much the heads were to get done. I bought the fully assembled engine from a very reputable engine builder in Halifax N.S. (Armstrong's). I did take the intake off and inspect the ports and they were definitely worked on for quite a while. I haven't had it on the road yet as the build is not finished. (another month or two to go). As far as how it idle's, go to my my post titled "Fire in the Holes" (video added), in the General Forum and you can hear for yourself. Just remember to turn the speakers up, the louder the sound is the better you can appreciate what it really sounds like. I will find out how snappy it is going to be soon, with 4:10's and 26" tires out back it should be pretty good.

Jack

The wife says it idle's like a kitten to. Only she means a big cat. You know the difference between a little pussy and a big cat don't you. ---

A big cat scratches and a little pussy never hurt anyone. LOL

Jack

LOL...apparently, I married a big cat. What's that other thing you mentionned? ;)(SSsssh..dont tell..she'll kill me...lol)

-
Back