400HP and a cast slug

-

Moparmal

Banned
Reaction score
No NOS or Forced induction.

Opinions and experiencees please, as its the only option for what I may do.

And Merry Xmas to all!:cheers:

If this is a question, it's a little too oblique for me...

Can you be a little more specific about what it is that you're trying to find out?

Inquiring minds would like to help, but...

Sorry if I was being obscure - Id like to know people's opinions and experiences on using a cast piston in a 400HP N/A application..assuming the only other option is a $800 custom forged slug.

Agreed. I've had them in my Super B for 15 years. Still runs 13.0's.

Don't see why you can't use a cast slug in a 400HP engine , factory rated 440's were 390hp with cast slugs

Sorry I was so dense... Now, I understand.

I agree that you'll probably never have problems with cast pistons in an unblown, no-nitrous motor.... The only way you might hurt it is if you tried to wind it into stratospheric RPM's, and I'm not even sure that that would damage the cast units.

Detonation is the natural enemy of cast pistons, and if you keep good gas in there, you'll likely never have a problem.

My 2-cents...

Bill

No reason you can't use 100 or so of spray with a cast piston as long as your nitrous tune isn't lean.

Merry Christmas Mal. A cast slug, non hyperutecic, is fine for 400+ HP useage. A hyperutectic piston is also good for higher HP levels.

The exact ceiling or limitation of power I do not know. But you can get some beastly builds before they give way.

Ok - thanmks all., it'll save me some $$ if I rebuild my 349 with the silvolite 1278, and it'll never be more than 10.2:1 and 420FWHP - if that.

-
Back