402, IM NEW TO THIS! help please :)

-
Im a believer that when it comes to your own car you can do what you wish. The 402 chevy is basically a 396 block if Im correct. It would take some work but mated with a turbo 350 it might work. You will have to do some work. I doubt anyone makes a plug and play kit to mount a Chevy motor into a Mopar.

I thought he was talking about a stroked 318 from the title. I had thought about putting a Chevy motor in my Duster. Probably could have made as much power as my 414 stroker for half the money.

The only "real" issue with the GM motor is the oil pan. I am an old GM guy before "converting" to Mopar. I have never seen a mid sump pan for any Chevrolet big block. So it would be a total fab of the pan and pickup.

It is easy to do the reverse though. Back in the late 80's I worked with a guy that put a 440 and 727 in a '67 camaro. He just used a truck rear sump pan. Worked great.

Chuck

Ummmmm....you should go back to school before the Obama money runs out.

Seriously you need some more edumucation...:read2:

ha man you guys are cooooooool. k first off im in high school limited budget found a nice engine cheap. andddddd im a jeep junky. im just trying to build myself a car that will drive that I like With some power... sooooo yeah... anyways it was kinda helpfull.

It seems that more often than not, a cheap engine becomes expensive in a hurry. Adding one to a cross-brand swap may be more headache than it's worth. Exhaust alone would most likely be an obstacle.

hah man your funny... yeah im a noob get over it ha. well sounds good what would you suggest i do about a engine?

i mean i have a regular 318. will that bolt up to the 3 speed? and is theere any way i could get more power under it?

i mean i have a regular 318. will that bolt up to the 3 speed? and is theere any way i could get more power under it?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 318. The typical bolt-on stuff applies (decent intake, carburetor, headers, sensible camshaft, etc) given that the engine isn't worn-out to begin with. Assuming that the 3-speed is an automatic, it'll bolt up if the bellhousing is of the small block pattern. Sounds like a fair bit of research is in the future for the intended build.

yeah its just kinda weak. i love power. (doesnt everyone)? yeah idk its a 3 speed on the floor? im looking into buying it and yeah just got to get the ok to sell my jeep. and how much power could be added to the engine?

It is fairly easy to get these little 318s over 300 hp fairly easily depending on what heads you have and compression ratio. Cam, intake, carb and a decent set of heads will help. Magnum heads are a good swap and bump up the compression ratio a little with the closed chamber design and came stock with 1.6 rockers. My little 318 in my dart screams and suprises everyone that has ridden in my car.

there you go now like was stated just a few mods are enough to make a 318 run good remember these are light cars you dont need 500 horse ( but it would be fun ) these cars move easy so a small block will make them street friendly. I saw the exhaust comment and I have a bb in my car its a tight squeeze custom headers are expinsive, the basic bb swap in my dart was 150 for mounts and 525 for headers I sprung for chrome ones so another 75 and these are not the proformance ones TTIs cost upwards of 700 and thats mopar into mopar imagine what the cost of custom ones and time spent fabbing them would cost I thought I could do a bb swap cheap Im in for 1200 in parts so far just for budget sake bb+duster=$$$$ but thats my experince with it so far.

Flyboy, it is so much easier to build that 318 that you already have, instead of using a big block chevy motor and transmission...it would be a crazy amount of work for someone who doesn't know what he is getting into...you would have to make engine mounts, tranny mounts, cut the floor for the trany to fit, make custom headers, all kinds of little stuff..stay with the 318, like was said, they could be built for 350 HP relatively easy..thats plenty of power!

alright alright sweet! anyone know a good site i can get most of the stuff i need to buy?? and also interior parts?

alright alright sweet! anyone know a good site i can get most of the stuff i need to buy?? and also interior parts?

I'd say the first thing you need to do (if you're serious about this) is take a search through this forum and find out from others what they've done to turn a 318 into a butt kicker then start looking at prices for some of the parts through Summit, Jegs, PAW, etc, or maybe your local speed shop. My machinist will beat Summit's pricing because he'd rather make a little bit something than a whole lot of nothing, so you can shop locally, too.

Take a look through the parts for sale ads here, too. Some sweet deals going on for parts, including engine parts, interior parts, etc.

you've found the best place hop on over to the small block fourm and see what they have as far as advice goes they will know best setups for the 318 and help you out on the tech parts as far as interior throw in some summit race seats and covers no carpet and no rear seat interior problem solved :)

ha i want to keep the stock look inside :) just get new carpet and redo the seats :)

True story..father and son..father avid mopar fanatic...gave son a duster roller...son goes out and drops 350chebbie in duster takes it to racetrack....pissed dad off so dad buys nova drops 340DODGE in it and starts spankin alot of ***...son gets picture...apolgizes to dad swapped motors to respective brands sold nova and boat anchor 350, paid dad for 340 and went back to racetrack and kicked some ***...moral of story is dont try to breed a rabbit with a turtle....not 2 mention the Great Family Of Mopar Enthusists are extemely loyal to their hobby and cars and their reactions to this interracial mix of brands will result in negative responses that u wont like and not to mention the xpense and mods needed to make it work and in the end u have nothin but junk......and a good well built 318 can kick alot of ***....u will get lots of help here with that build,lots of well respected and knowledgeable Mopar people here and the best site for anything MOPAR....good luck with your MOPAR...hopefully u keep it MOPAR all the way.........

-
Back