408 and gearing

-

Magster65

Reaction score
I've read that an a-body combo with 500 torque does not benefit much at all from running a low gear on the street. I have a set of 3.9's but I was thinking 3.5's would be better... now a friend has offered me a set of 3.23's. Guessing the tires will be around 26.5".
Is this true? I can't decide...

That engine makes PLENTY of low end tq/power. You don't need a lot of gear to get it rolling.

A 4 speed will take a bit more gear than an auto to run same RPM due to driveline RPM loss in an auto trans.

26.5" tire, I'd run the 3.23 if you want an all around gear set.

I'm running 3.23s with a 408, suregrip and drag radials...traction is still an issue, and if I got taller gears I might get rolling better...but it sure is fun

Ran my 520 h.p. 416 around on the street and highway all the time with 3.91's no issues..go for it you got the power now you need the gear:D:D

I've read that an a-body combo with 500 torque does not benefit much at all from running a low gear on the street. I have a set of 3.9's but I was thinking 3.5's would be better... now a friend has offered me a set of 3.23's. Guessing the tires will be around 26.5".
Is this true? I can't decide...
IMO 26.5 Tire is just TOO Small ! I'd run a minimum of 28" Tire, & more Gear, your tire roll out will increase !!

A stroker can use less gear and still be fun. But if your running the 1/4 mile, it is a balancing act to cross the finish line at peak power or just passing it rpm wise. This of course depends on the tire as well. And the cam and the .....

The big question is, “What are you doing with it and want out of it?”

I'm running a 325/50 (28") drag radial with 3.54 gears and traction on the street is not a problem at the 500 hp level. In fact, I have to really try to break my tires loose. It'll spin through first and into second, but that's if I'm trying to make them spin. If I'm trying to accelerate, it hooks well.

@ the track> 4.10 gear 1.47 60ft
tried 4.56 gear 1.52 60ft > spins
going to try 3.73 when the track opens back up
run a 275 et pro tire

073_zpsunm9vyws.jpg

-
Back