408 cam

-
I can't say anything about that cam in a 408, but I personally would not swap used lifters from block to block. I would get new lifters myself, and at that point $125 (used cam) or $140 (new cam) I would just buy a brand new one. just my opinion.

Does anybody else have some thoughts about this specific grind?

Thanks,

Antoon

BUMP!! Come on guys. There has to be more that have an idea on this.

Antoon if you can give us your complete engine/trans/rearend specs that'd help.

I can't say anything about that cam in a 408, but I personally would not swap used lifters from block to block. I would get new lifters myself, and at that point $125 (used cam) or $140 (new cam) I would just buy a brand new one. just my opinion.

Lifters develop a wear pattern reference to the cam lobe, not the block.

Im gonna stick my neck out and say theres a bit too much duration for it to be a happy street cam. It's sort of ragged edge driveabiity.

Those XS282 cams are really good.

A friends 340 with mild ede heads, victor340, tti and a 750 made somewhere around 460hp. It was pretty nasty in a 340 a bit like a .528 mechanical purple shaft. Won't be near as bad in a 408.

If you don't mind adjusting lash, I'd run that cam all day long in a 408.

What are you using for heads and converter??..nothing wrong with using a "used" cam as long as the lifters are placed in the order they came out..been done successfully numerous times,that is a pretty aggresive cam for a street only car you might be happier with something a little milder..

I think it's a great cam, but for a mild build with 3.23s and a stick it may be a little hairy. Fun, but hairy.

Supposedly, you want a few degrees more duration on a stroker cam than a cam for a non-stroker. For example, a 408 stroker with a cam with 228 degrees duration would behave similar to a 360 with 220 degrees duration.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Here are some more specs.
I've got a seasoned 77 360 which will go 0.030 over.
I've got a scat cast 4" crank with I-beam rods, and kb356 pistons
For induction I have an edelbrock D66 which I plan on using with two 1404's opening progressively, so when crusing it'll run on one carb's primaries.
I will be using 340 hp manifolds becasue they look great, and I hate headers because of all the speedbumps overhere
I plan on using RHS LAX heads, but haven't bought them yet.

My main goals are:
-driveability
-reliable
-high/huge low end torque
-no more than 6500 rpm
-decent gas mileage
-good vacuum for power brakes

The car it's going in is a stock 1970 challenger with power disc brakes, T/A power steering and AC. It's a pure street car. No strip use. The engine is backed by a slant six four speed, and a 3.23 sure-grip rear with 255/60/15 tires.

Any more input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Antoon

i use that cam in my +.030 360, running some home ported j's, 11.25 cr, headers, and torker II with 750 race carb. runs great, not to radical, would be great for a 408, i would double think the headers you would be giving away at least 30hp. Only time out ran a 12.22 at 109.6 mph and the carb was way to rich. this was in a demon with 26" slicks and only a 3.91 gear.

My 2 cents, find a set of headers that don't hang below the centerlink. Dougs and tti fit that bill. I agree that on that set up, you'd be giving up around 30HP.

If you must run the exh manifolds, get that cam cut on a 114 LSA

Thanks, but I'm not interested in getting the highest horsepower rating from thios engine. It needs to have a lot of torque and be reliable.

What happens should i get the cam, and then advance it a few degrees in my 408, or is this a bad idea??

Thanks,

Antoon

-
Back