408 Eddy heads 6 pack power output???

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So damned confused as to what to do. What if I just bought a stock set of Edelbrocks to put on my 408 stroker, Comp 242/248 @.050, .570/.576 solid roller cam, 10:1 compression, Mopar 6 pack mechanical set up. Is this combo any good or too mismatched??? And what kind of horsepower would I be looking at?? 425-450???

So damned confused as to what to do. What if I just bought a stock set of Edelbrocks to put on my 408 stroker, Comp 242/248 @.050, .570/.576 solid roller cam, 10:1 compression, Mopar 6 pack mechanical set up. Is this combo any good or too mismatched??? And what kind of horsepower would I be looking at?? 425-450???

I'd think somewhere in the 500 hp range.

IMHO, a 950hp or 850hp holley on top of a edelbrock victor single plane would get you to the same place or more than the 6 pack. Plus it's cheaper. But if you are looking for the visual impact, the 6 pack is cool.

That sounds like a pretty stout combination.

I'd consider looking into the Indy Mod manifold with the six pack top over the factory dual plane intake. From what i've been told by some knowledgeable forum posters on here, the factory six pack manifold (LD6B) will restrict a 500hp engine substantially.

Of course, I have no doubt this restriction can be overcome by the right person with a die grinder.

Six packs are a ton o' dough.....you could almost fund an inexpensive supercharger to put on, for the money you'd save by going single 4-barrel.

are you kidding me?

I got my six pack carbs from summit for a little over $1100. Manifold was $230 second hand. maybe another $500-600 in tuning/linkage bits left to buy.

A single plane intake is roughly the same second hand. $230
A good quality DP is around $700
tuning linkage bits -$300

So all in all maybe 700-100 more at absolute worst.

A supercharger setup is gonna set anyone back at least 4K. Just saying.

are you kidding me?

I got my six pack carbs from summit for a little over $1100. Manifold was $230 second hand. maybe another $500-600 in tuning/linkage bits left to buy.

A single plane intake is roughly the same second hand. $230
A good quality DP is around $700
tuning linkage bits -$300

So all in all maybe 700-100 more at absolute worst.

A supercharger setup is gonna set anyone back at least 4K. Just saying.

At least $4K?.......Summit is selling whole kits for the low $2K range.

I already have the 6 pack set up (Mopar Performance aluminum intake and Holley manual carbs all rebuilt), the cam, the block, Scat crank and rods. Pistons are 11.8:1. Have to change them out for lower compression for street. Anybody need some Malhe Power Pack forged pistons??? All the parts I have listed here are bought and paid for already so I'm going to use them unless they are totally incompatable. Been wheelin and dealin to support my habit. LOL. I know the factory 6 pack leaves HP on the table but I'm an old school nostalgia guy (I'm 56). Looks cool as hell and the 6 pack was the cool set up back in the day. Am I really gonna notice the difference from 480 to 450 HP. Probably not. Have to match up pistons and heads for around 10.0-10.5:1 compression, get a good ignition set up and some headers.

Edit: I say go with it! nothing's cooler than a six pack and eddy heads are a good bit of kit. With porting they have the potential to equal/outperform any factory style cylinder head short of a W2/TA/P series etc.

Amazon have a really good deal on the bare heads, best I've seen actually for around $580 each. PN 60769.

Just keep in mind they are closed chamber when buying pistons.

Probably going to have to buy a 20cc dish piston for street compression. The 340 Eddys are open chamber aren't they??

Probably going to have to buy a 20cc dish piston for street compression. The 340 Eddys are open chamber aren't they??

Edelbrock's come in two chamber sizes. The 63 cc and 65 cc. The 63 cc head actually measure at 65cc and the 65cc heads actually measure at 67cc

Stay away from the ede 340 head.

If that engine makes 450 with unported ede heads and a 6 pack, call it good.

Agreed, There's a lot more advantages to a closed chamber than just increased compression ratio.

But I'd say if any motor with unported edelbrock heads makes 450hp I'd call it good.

If you want any more power than that you'll probably need to port the heads AND the intake manifold.

eddie heads...I had to have mine completely redone at the speed shop..they are trash from the box...a little cash in the heads and they work fine...some saw the car at mopars in the park....
six packs are nice,,,i went the route at first and then said no...I heard,,,just heard mind you they need tuning ....so I went with mine new age six pack and still makes power with my 416....like they said port match the heads and intake...best thing you can do....

good luck

The Edel. head and 6 pack combo will be a kick *** combo in the street. Just build it the way you want it. Don't look back and enjoy it.

eddie heads...I had to have mine completely redone at the speed shop..they are trash from the box...a little cash in the heads and they work fine...

Agreed, Buy them bare and get someone you trust to do the valve job and install springs for YOUR camshaft. If you have a high lift cam you may even need to have the guides cut.

-
Back