408 in Virginia!

-

mopartom340

Reaction score
Hey everybody! After reading every post I could on the subject, I went out and picked up a core engine from a wrecking yard yesterday. I had to go the the other side of Baltimore to get it. I gave $250 for a complete 91 360. I took it apart today, lots of good stuff. It is a roller cam block, 308 heads, and it even had a windage tray! Going to drop it off at the machine shop soon. A couple of questions; can I reuse the roller lifters? I'm looking at about 550 lift. And does Comp make a camshaft for roller lifters and a mechanical fuel pump?:happy1:

I don't think I would reuse the old roller lifters, but you can get new set of the stock rollers and they will work fine for your 408. I have a 1992 LA-360 and I used the stock set up in my 408 with a 570/562 lift roller cam. Cam is from CAM Motion and was a custom grind, it uses the stock distributor drive gear (intermediate shaft). I also used the 308s, but that was before the RHS heads were available. The 308's work fine on mine, but if I was doing it again I would probably use the RHS head.

Hey everybody! After reading every post I could on the subject, I went out and picked up a core engine from a wrecking yard yesterday. I had to go the the other side of Baltimore to get it. I gave $250 for a complete 91 360. I took it apart today, lots of good stuff. It is a roller cam block, 308 heads, and it even had a windage tray! Going to drop it off at the machine shop soon. A couple of questions; can I reuse the roller lifters? I'm looking at about 550 lift. And does Comp make a camshaft for roller lifters and a mechanical fuel pump?:happy1:

yes..you can reuse the roller lifters...

yes...just order the hydraulic roller cam for a LA engine..which yours is..

yes..you can reuse the roller lifters...

But why risk it? If you are going to spend $7k or more building a roller cammed 408, why not spend the extra $100-125 and buy a NEW set of stock type roller hydraulic lifters??

I'm running a Comp Cams Extreme Energy retro-fit cam, but am using a set of Mellings stock hydraulic roller lifters. It comes with the fuel pump eccentric.

Question was can you reuse the roller lifters.....answer is Yes...you can...

there are oem hydraulic roller lifters with over 300k miles on them...so..Yes..you can use...

It would his decision on whether to buy new ones or reuse the originals....not mine..

Thanks for all the answers. I'll buy a new set. Another question. The engine has through the block oiling, but came with hollow push rods. Do they oil the rockers too? Just wondering.

Question was can you reuse the roller lifters.....answer is Yes...you can...

there are oem hydraulic roller lifters with over 300k miles on them...so..Yes..you can use...

It would his decision on whether to buy new ones or reuse the originals....not mine..

I agree, you answered his question. I was just trying to be a little more helpful. He could also reuse the oil and filter that came on the core engine, but I wouldn't recommend that either.

Those are the EXACT ones I bought for my build, except he charged me $85???

-
Back