408 issues

-
I am using a Pioneer neutral race balancer. Got it from Summit racing. Part # PIO-872037. Northern auto parts sells it cheaper but charges more for shipping. Tell Summit about the price on northern auto parts website. Sometimes you get lucky and they don't look up shipping prices and they will price match directly.

The 408 is running and I took it out on a 16 mile shake down run and it performed well, just a few minor water leaks to fix, other than that all seems good for now!

Has anyone had the same issues with KB slugs in SB stroker applications?:read2:

Yep, me, in a hard working 390.

Have ross now, nothing changed but the pistons and a sleeve and the ross have outlasted the KB's by ten times.

Have noticed KB's QC has been getting worse latley.

im telling you guys just like in that other thread with the broke eagle crank. They use to be a good name but now they are just junk. Im not knocking on any ones set up but its really true you get what you pay for. I know i dont mind paying just a little more for some insurance and a little peace of mind with a much better manufactured crank. A good crank is the heart and soul of any engine im just not willing to put a expensive set of pistons and heads over a crank that every time i stand in it im going to worry about it scattering just my 2 cents ( absolutly no offence to any one with a eagle crank, just venting)

Torque seems great on the motor. I really hope for my sake and the sake of my pocket book this thing holds together!

Glad to see ya got the 408 running Rob. I haven't put my motor together yet but I' m gonna use the Eagle/Probe combo. I'm sure it'll be fine. So, it's a tork monster huh? Cool! What cam and heads do you have? I've got a set of stock Eddys and one of those Comp XE275 HL cams. I also picked up a Weiand X-celerator from Northern (cheap at $159). This combo should be pretty torquey ( torky?) as well. I'm thinking I should have got the XE285 HL. Going in a 67 notchback with 3.91's and a T-flite w/ about 3000 stall.

Sumbit, Sounds like our combos are pretty similar. I have some Edelbrocks that I polished the exhaust side and knocked down the casting on the intake. I am using the MP .508 cam. I am using a Edelbrock RPM air gap intake with a BG Claw for a carb, until I get another proform centered 750 dp put together. My Duster has 3.91's with a 3000 stall. I am going to put some more miles on it today and will let you know how it does. Rob

Drove the Duster around today quite a bit and I must say that I am quite pleased with the power and torque this combo has.

I just bought an Eagle cast stroker crank from a forum member. Wish I would have read all the threads about that crank before I bought it, I'm a bit nervous now. I'm doing a 408 with KB dished pistons and Scat rods, Iron Ram prepped heads from Hughes, and a Comp Cams Nostalgia 239/[email protected], .484 lift (.517 with the magnum heads). Now that I'm seeing that there are problems with KB pistons, maybe I'll consider something else (haven't got the rods or pistons yet.)

I just bought an Eagle cast stroker crank from a forum member. Wish I would have read all the threads about that crank before I bought it, I'm a bit nervous now. I'm doing a 408 with KB dished pistons and Scat rods, Iron Ram prepped heads from Hughes, and a Comp Cams Nostalgia 239/[email protected], .484 lift (.517 with the magnum heads). Now that I'm seeing that there are problems with KB pistons, maybe I'll consider something else (haven't got the rods or pistons yet.)
64hyshy, I bought a Eagle crank and I'm gonna run it in this new 408 just to prove once and for all that these cranks are fine. Lot's of hearsay from people who can't/shouldn't speak to the issue. How problematic can they be if half the stroker kits out there are centered around them? I ran a Eagle forged crank and rods in a Blown BB Chevy in my Warlock Tunnel Hull that dyno'd at 792HP for 5 years with no problems! And we're talkin' WOT at 110 MPH down the river for several minutes at a time! I know, apples and oranges, but Eagle isn't new at this game. Relax.....

Relax, I just built my 408 with basically the same parts, KB step forged pistons, Scat "I" beams and forged Scat crank and the Iron ram heads. Slightly less cam and it survived the dyno and was making 480 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm, and topping out over 500 ft lbs. Not put many miles on it yet but it sure feels good with the 5-speed trans behind it.

The issues can also be created by people. So dont condemn all because of a few. I would expect around 1-2%failure due to a manufacturing issue in them not caught by the machinist. Something like a casting flaw. That's 20 out of every thousand. The difference between the costly cranks and cheap ones is the machining, and the checking/testing. You gotta save give somewhere to get cheaper cost. But any crank used in the wrong application is simply going to fail. The same issues Eagle had with thier SIR rods a couple years ago... Casting flaws that are undetectable unless Xrayed. That was enough to sour me on them and I've never used them. No way I'd build a circle track engine with a cast crank. They are just not that durable. Drag cars, sure. They dont experience the same forces and can live well. The KB piston issues I know about are the hypereutectic and again, either the result of the wrong part used, or the wrong person building it. So be cautious and do everything you can to make sure everything is good. Odds are very much in your favor that thigns will be fine. You have a MUCH better chance of having a machinist mess up the engine than the cast crank fail in a street/strip car making 550hp.

I ended up with a SCAT stroker instead of an Eagle becuase Eagle customer service was flakey. I ordered an Eagle stroker kit with SRP pistons (balanced) from Summit. It was supposed to be shipped 4/15/09, then got pushed back to 4/24/09, then got pushed back to 5/4/09, when I checked on the status on 5/5/09, it was pushed back to 5/20/09. I asked Summit what the deal was. They called Eagle, then called me back. The Summit guy said that Eagle couldn't get the SRP pistons (part#220156). I called SRP, he said they had 196 in stock.

I cancelled the order, called SCAT, easy to talk to a real person, told them what I want (stroker cast crank, I-beam rods, SRP pistons, balanced), they gave me a price and had it out in a week. It cost $200 more though, but it looks like a good thing. Besides, the SCAT rods are made out of a better grade of steel than the Eagle rods.

BTW, I should be getting my stuff back from the machince shop next week. My 408 will have stock Edelbrock heads (with Hughes springs), Hughes 232/237 @ 0.50 540/548 lift cam, air gap intake and carb (? /not bought yet). It is going into my 67 Barracuda.

Drove the Duster around today quite a bit and I must say that I am quite pleased with the power and torque this combo has.

You are quite pleased......I hope that brown satin on your passenger seat wiped off alright!!!!
This thing is nuckin' futs!!!:supz: I only hope my 340 has 1/2 the response and balls your 408(410) has. Nothin' like a rolling burnout to scare the bejezzes out of me:pale:.

Sumbit, Sounds like our combos are pretty similar. I have some Edelbrocks that I polished the exhaust side and knocked down the casting on the intake. I am using the MP .508 cam. I am using a Edelbrock RPM air gap intake with a BG Claw for a carb, until I get another proform centered 750 dp put together. My Duster has 3.91's with a 3000 stall. I am going to put some more miles on it today and will let you know how it does. Rob
Hey Rob, guess what? By shear chance I ran across a 70 340 Duster the other day and I bought it. It happens to be Top Banana! The 340 was replaced with a 360 that has suffered some type of catastrophic failure, so I now have a yellow Duster to put the 408 in. Then the combo's would be really similar! Car is an original H-code but who cares now that the 340's gone. They say Yellow cars are lil' faster than the rest, is that true? LOL

I don't know about the color making them faster but, I took the Duster to Devil's Run in Devil's Lake ND and hung out with TBLOTSKE this weekend and old yellow can sure haze the hides!!!

-
Back