408 short block value

-

Loosenutz

Big Member
Reaction score
I found this listing for a 408 short block. Any guesses on a fair price?

408 small-block Chrysler short block for sale. Financial problems, can't finish
Fully machined ‘78 360 block with Milodon billet caps
Eagle stroker crank with “ESP” Armor
Eagle h-beam rods,
ARP 2000 bolts
Custom diamond Pistons & pins (9.5 to 1 compression with 66cc head)
Been mocked up, but comes un-assembled.

I found this listing for a 408 short block. Any guesses on a fair price?

408 small-block Chrysler short block for sale. Financial problems, can't finish
Fully machined ‘78 360 block with Milodon billet caps
Eagle stroker crank with “ESP” Armor
Eagle h-beam rods,
ARP 2000 bolts
Custom diamond Pistons & pins (9.5 to 1 compression with 66cc head)
Been mocked up, but comes un-assembled.

I just sold a 402 Short block assembled with the new SFI Damper water pump, Lifters, cam installed, gear drive, assembled painted and done ready for heads intake and carb for $2200.00 if that helps.

Yeah I know, I wanted yours but it sold really quick. I actually emailed the guy and told him about your 402 for $2200 in hopes he would lower his price. How about the quality of the parts he has?

Milodin makes ductile iron main caps which are splayed not Billet. Sounds like this guy was going for high power using the forged internals and the ARP 2000's. CNC Motorsports has a short block like this but w/ SRP dish. they want $3125 +$85 to go 2000's+$260Shipping minus $100 discount for shortblock. assembled whith the same parts as yours minus the milodin caps and diamond pistons.... So.... $3370 total assembled/blueprinted/shipped...Which is not bad for an all forged shortblock!!!! I am sure you can get that from him for around $2000!

If I had those parts I wouldn't be selling it... LoL.... $1600 would be a sweet DEAL!!! He probably paid around that for just the Internals... the caps are $275 alone from summit. Good Luck!!

That's why I made this thread, to figure out what it's worth. I would be willing to pay more but it's kinda of over built for what I have in mind

There's about $1700 in the crank, rods, and bolts. Machining on the block was anywhere from several hundred to over $1000 (depending on what all he had done and by whom). Add the $275 for the caps, and whatever the pistons are worth. There's probably about $3000-$3500 there all together, so anything around $2000 would be a good price for you.

I would have no problem paying around $2000 for it. $1600 would be better!!

What it's worth is what you or someone else is willing to pay, and what the seller's willing to accept. I know guys that try to make money that way and guys that just want stuff gone and give it away. I've done both depending on my situation.

Them blueprint 408s go for 1800. Yeah, start skwakin about the quality, but it's still a 408 stroker, so that should be the bar. Cause I don't give a rat's butt what anybody says, once somethin is bought, it is USED. Just like after you sign the papers on a new car. Even before you drive it off the lot it's used. So, basically, you are looking to buy a used engine, whether it's run or not.

I think you have to consider that it may or may not have been machined correctly. Even a running engine can be all wrong inside. How do you know that it can be assembled and is right?

I think you have to consider that it may or may not have been machined correctly. Even a running engine can be all wrong inside. How do you know that it can be assembled and is right?

That was one of my main concerns. I do have some machinist's gauges so I could do a quick check on some of the dimensions. I would think that if he spent so much on the parts that he would have chose a really good machine shop but you never know.

Yes, I believe it is that motor. I traded the pistons to Mad Dart for a set of KB icons. Yes, I know my pistons were worth a lot more but I got a good deal on the short block and just wanted to get the right pistons for my build.

-
Back