408 stroker and 200R4 ... it's alive!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
It was a long freakin' day. What little we had to do dragged out all day and night. Everything on this car had to be made or modified. The detente cable was fine, but the bracket Art Carr sent to mount it, though it looked right and we modified it to hold the accelerator cable, too, wouldn't let the cable lock in place. We ended up running a zip tie under the tabs to lift them and lock it in place. After a long day, we finally made the final tranny cooler lines, dropped in the radiator, filled the oil, coolant and transmission and were almost ready. Last thing was to install the distributor, so we set it at TDC and dropped it in. All the worries were for nothing because it started right up. It runs beautifully and sounds mean. And holy **** is this thing fast! I will come up with a burnout video soon. We developed oil leaks at the front of the intake and at the oil sender adapter, and I have to fix those first before more driving. The transmission worked well and shifted good. This thing is scary fast and goes sideways when those tires start spinning hard! Sorry about the audio in the videos. It works on my phone but got lost in uploading to Youtube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpBpvPAjBCY&feature=g-upl&context=G22b4dceAUAAAAAAABAA"]It's alive! 408 Stroker. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PFoRMpWe78&feature=g-upl&context=G238613fAUAAAAAAACAA"]408 stroker - YouTube[/ame]

Nice.. you give me inspiration to finish mine.. job well done dude!

Congrats!Best get some better skins on the back,it,s hard not to break free with the TA,s.They,ll be toast in no time.:burnout:

Where's that applause button? Good job and she sounds awesome.
Think it's time to get back to the Valiant......

Nice! You run it up to freeway speed and go into overdrive?:burnout:

Nice! I've been following your build thread closely since I'm very interested in going with a 2004R behind my 360. Very interested to see what kind of RPM drop you get in OD.
When I first talked to Art about this several years ago I told him I wanted a reverse pattern manual shift and he assured me, "No problem."
Now he says it can't be done.
Looking forward to hearing how you like this tranny after you get a few miles on it.

I did not go on the highway yet. It was midnight when we fired it up and 12:30 before the carb was adjusted and the timing right. We took it around the block a few times, but I was worried about cops being called so when we smoked the tires we did it mostly in the parking lot here. I did hit it hard a few times and brought it over 100 mph in about a block and a half and I wasn't all the way into the pedal. This thing is scary fast. I'm going to have to find some lonely, empty back roads to drive to get the feel of this beast. The timing is retarded to run on pump gas, so I don't have all the power it is capable of. I'm going to set up the time to get it to Tom's buddy soon and get it converted to E85 and take advantage of 105 octane. Man, another 7 or 8 degrees advanced timing? The power I am going to get is unbelievable.

I did not go on the highway yet. It was midnight when we fired it up and 12:30 before the carb was adjusted and the timing right. We took it around the block a few times, but I was worried about cops being called so when we smoked the tires we did it mostly in the parking lot here. I did hit it hard a few times and brought it over 100 mph in about a block and a half and I wasn't all the way into the pedal. This thing is scary fast. I'm going to have to find some lonely, empty back roads to drive to get the feel of this beast. The timing is retarded to run on pump gas, so I don't have all the power it is capable of. I'm going to set up the time to get it to Tom's buddy soon and get it converted to E85 and take advantage of 105 octane. Man, another 7 or 8 degrees advanced timing? The power I am going to get is unbelievable.
Hope your taken your buddy to lunch for all the help! Plus a cruze in overdrive:burnout:

Hope your taken your buddy to lunch for all the help! Plus a cruze in overdrive:burnout:

I let him be the first to drive it. There is still work to do. Have to install the line locks, though they really aren't needed. It smokes the tires on command. We have to replace the intake gasket again because it is leaking oil. The oil sending unit adapter or maybe the distributor o-ring is raining oil out the back. I have to reinstall the interior and wire polarized plugs for the amp and speakers to make them removable, and we need to cut down the shifter cover to fit and put on the boot. Oh, and I need a turn signal switch, too.

On a side note, the PO had the car start with a push button. It would turn over any time the button was pushed, but it wouldn't start unless the key was on. When we took the tranny out, we found the neutral safety switch connector off and melted. Wheels started turning .... when we hooked up the B&M shifter's neutral safety and reverse switch, the car now starts with the key. And my back up lights work now. Why can't people fix things the right way? It would have been way easier to solder a new pigtail onto the three wires than it was to run new wiring, buy a switch, drill and mount it, etc... People never cease to amaze me.

I just can't stop saying ... Holy ****, this thing is fast! I went to Napa to get some wheel cleaner, and they were closed. A dad and his kid stood and watched me while I drove through the lot, pointing and talking. I turned onto the road, and at about 20 mph, I hit it. Not floored but well into the pedal. I started fishtailing left but held it down and kept it in the street. I burned those tires for 3/4 of a city block, and I had to let off or they would still be smoking. Holy **** this thing is fast!

When do you think, you'll take it on the freeway?

Just the little drive I took today, maybe a mile, left a puddle of oil in front of the intake and a trickle down the back of the OPS adapter. I won't be able to fix them until Tuesday, unfortunately. I will probably drive it home on Wednesday. That will be almost 40 miles and almost all highway.

Just the little drive I took today, maybe a mile, left a puddle of oil in front of the intake and a trickle down the back of the OPS adapter. I won't be able to fix them until Tuesday, unfortunately. I will probably drive it home on Wednesday. That will be almost 40 miles and almost all highway.
Watch out, I know it will be tempting to push pass the speed limit but wait till you hit the track. Don't need any speeding tickets.

I got no neutral safety switch, the motor can start in gear and nothing bad happens--if you watch what you are doing.

If the motor does stall like a super fast stop, no need to first shift in to neutral, just crank it and go. Just be darn sure nothing is in front of the car the first few feet--even then if your left foot is on the brakes, the car won't move

Congrats on getting it running. Sounds real good. 4" cranks give you the torque of a big block. I know you are loving it.

more videos please and some info on the combo

very very nice

Here is the original thread with all the trials and tribulations. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333 It really wasn't that bad. We made our own exhaust without a pipe bender, and that took time. The buddy who was helping me and doing the bulk of the work is crew chief on a race team. You can't buy anything for those cars and have to make everything. That came in handy here because everything was manufactured by hand. It was fun but time consuming. In the end, all I can say is, holy ****, this thing is fast!

Congrats on getting it back together. I'm picking up a complete 360 to do the same thing for my 74.

Hey did you mention if it's fast or not? LOL

-
Back