408 Stroker on Dyno

-
Put some Edelbrocks on that 408 and you'll be making much more power,my 416 with similar build but with Edelbrocks and a SMALLER hyd. cam.cranked out 520 h.p. and 500 lbs or tq...running 11.0's... as for the guys chiming in and giving you crap about there 12 second 360's big deal my 360 already runs 11's...:bootysha:

Everyone builds stuff for different reason. ...

Put some Edelbrocks on that 408 and you'll be making much more power,my 416 with similar build but with Edelbrocks and a SMALLER hyd. cam.cranked out 520 h.p. and 500 lbs or tq...running 11.0's... as for the guys chiming in and giving you crap about there 12 second 360's big deal my 360 already runs 11's...:bootysha:

Exactly, agree with both of you. That's the great thing about our hobby, you can build your car/motor to what suits your intended purpose. Each person makes the decision based on a their budget and the intended use of the motor. You can build it with retro parts, for drag race only, street-strip, or old school strait-up stock stroke like Ma Mopar made them. It's great to have the options we have today. Twenty years ago our options were limtied by the available hardware, today we are only limited by our imaginations and checkbook.:-D

NICE motor and nice numbers. Kurt does GREAT work!!!!
I live in Portsmouth and am a member of the TMC. I actually went to high school in Williamsburg (Lafayette). But speaking of Kurt at Magnum Machine; he is currently building me a stroked 440. A 543 using 440 Source stroker kit, Stealth aluminum heads & a Pro Systems carb. How do you like your carb? I've heard nothing but good stuff about Pro Systems carbs. Good luck with the car. I'd love to see it!! Maybe you can make it to the TMC spring show at Hall Dodge in VA Beach!! Hall Dodge is the TMC sponsor. Awesome folks!! Happy motoring!!

Matt B.

Just curious, were the Eddy's ported or straight out of the box?

Just curious, were the Eddy's ported or straight out of the box?

Nothing more the a "street port job" which is basically a clean-up of the ports,nothing fancy..i did have the cc's checked and one head was different then the other and both are 65 cc's now as they should be...i absolutely love these heads,and i know there better aluminum ones out there but i'll never use steel heads again...:-D

I'm just plan old not impressed with the 408's. I can build a 360 std bore 9.5 to 1 engine with a few trick preformance proven parts and can guarentee #'s very close to those. 508 purple shaft stock smog heads etc etc. How's 436hp and 450lbs. torque? I spend less than 2k on the engine not counting my labor putting it together.

And the 68 full stock bodied dart went 12.40's in 90 degree heat. Stock 904 trans. stock convertor and a 3.91 gear. Car went 1.95's 60 foot time. No traction at all. So if I had put the stall in it and the 4.30's it would go 11's all day. Just always remember, keep it simple and it will scream and stay together.

What is the spec for the heads, intake manifold, cam and carb? What "tricks"?

I have a similar build going now. 308 heads, lunati 60403 cam, TQ carb, and
a performer and cast iron 340 intake to choose from with speedpro 116hcp hypereutectic pistons.

Cool Video. I Think The Weak Link In This 408's Power Is The 340 Ld Intake. I'd Drop On An Eddy Air Gap.

Cool Video. I Think The Weak Link In This 408's Power Is The 340 Ld Intake. I'd Drop On An Eddy Air Gap.

I'd drop a single plane M-1 on it. Will certainly do more than an air gap plus it might tame it down out of the hole..
:glasses7:

Very nice. Your is close to my 408. I have a milder cam but it has a air gap and hooker headers. Running down the track tomorrow evening. Cant wait. Good job you will enjoy it.

Wow 2 years and 9 months since this was first posted and just under 2 years since the last post. Another oldie being drug back to the top.

Wow 2 years and 9 months since this was first posted and just under 2 years since the last post. Another oldie being drug back to the top.

Agree. And what's even more amazing is I pulled that video off of You Tube about 6 months ago! I guess folks are commenting on the older post.

I'd drop a single plane M-1 on it. Will certainly do more than an air gap plus it might tame it down out of the hole..
:glasses7:

Not everyone builds motors for HP bragging rights. Anyway, I intentionally put the LD-340 on the motor and after 1600 miles I'm very glad I did because it's a great street motor. And as an added bonus I got 15.5 mpg on a recent 500 mile round trip...I never expected that kind of mpg.

Recently took our fresh street 408 to the track, it is in a full bodied 67 Satellite, [3800 lbs] with driver. Went 12.35@108 with a soft tune and DOT street tires. I had quit the traction issue and will be adding large slicks next spring and looking to break the magic 110mph mark with some tuning..
J heads ported/polished, shaved .040, block decked .015. mopar thin head gaskets, heads 64cc.
Keith black low comp. pistons.
Eagle I beams.
Eagle cast internal balanced crank.
M-1 single plan intake with a 2" open spacer.
750 HP DP.
MSD 6al.
1 5/8 headman ceramic headers.
extreme energy comp cams solid 236/242duration, lift 501/511.
Crane gold 1.6 aluminum roller rockers.
4.30 gear.
9 1/2" dynamic converter.
Gets 16 mpg on 91 octane.
This motor was a budget build using all the old 360 top end with little changes other than less timing, @ 2" open carb spacer, and a much larger flex fan on the 408. Car runs only 2 mph quicker than the 360. However, the ET is about a half second quicker.
Short block costs? Machine work $800.00, included balance & blueprint. Cyls. punched .020, I assembled the motor.
Parts, crank $300.00, pistons half price from indy $200.00. I beam rods from mancini clearance, $129.00.
Gaskets, rings, bearings, new flex plate and balancer approx. $600.00.
In all the best running $2000.00 short block I have ever had, that includes a list quit long, including a 440 from yrs. past that ran 12.44 @ 108 with heads prepped similar to the 408's. The 440 eventually ran 11.96 with some very exotic 452's with the large 2.14/1.81 valves and 2" headers.
Certainly the 408 with upgraded heads, & larger headers would perform just as well.
Big difference? I get 6 more miles pr. gallon with the 408, and I can change the spark plugs in 5 minutes, compared to the hard to reach 440 plugs with large headers.. Besides the car handles like a dream with the small block..
Next yrs. plans for the 408? I am open to suggestions, want to go 11's and remain streetable..
Thanks

My vote goes to the 408.

New best time for the 408 B-body, 11.93 @ 111.4MPH.. Thats 6 tenths quicker than the 360 with the exact same parts in the same car.

Recently took our fresh street 408 to the track, it is in a full bodied 67 Satellite, [3800 lbs] with driver. Went 12.35@108 with a soft tune and DOT street tires. I had quit the traction issue and will be adding large slicks next spring and looking to break the magic 110mph mark with some tuning..
J heads ported/polished, shaved .040, block decked .015. mopar thin head gaskets, heads 64cc.
Keith black low comp. pistons.
Eagle I beams.
Eagle cast internal balanced crank.
M-1 single plan intake with a 2" open spacer.
750 HP DP.
MSD 6al.
1 5/8 headman ceramic headers.
extreme energy comp cams solid 236/242duration, lift 501/511.
Crane gold 1.6 aluminum roller rockers.
4.30 gear.
9 1/2" dynamic converter.
Gets 16 mpg on 91 octane.
This motor was a budget build using all the old 360 top end with little changes other than less timing, @ 2" open carb spacer, and a much larger flex fan on the 408. Car runs only 2 mph quicker than the 360. However, the ET is about a half second quicker.
Short block costs? Machine work $800.00, included balance & blueprint. Cyls. punched .020, I assembled the motor.
Parts, crank $300.00, pistons half price from indy $200.00. I beam rods from mancini clearance, $129.00.
Gaskets, rings, bearings, new flex plate and balancer approx. $600.00.
In all the best running $2000.00 short block I have ever had, that includes a list quit long, including a 440 from yrs. past that ran 12.44 @ 108 with heads prepped similar to the 408's. The 440 eventually ran 11.96 with some very exotic 452's with the large 2.14/1.81 valves and 2" headers.
Certainly the 408 with upgraded heads, & larger headers would perform just as well.
Big difference? I get 6 more miles pr. gallon with the 408, and I can change the spark plugs in 5 minutes, compared to the hard to reach 440 plugs with large headers.. Besides the car handles like a dream with the small block..
Next yrs. plans for the 408? I am open to suggestions, want to go 11's and remain streetable..
Thanks

My vote goes to the 408.
Heres a suggestion for 11's, Spray it, and hang on... 125 shot should do it...

What size tires are you running with the 4.30 gears?

10" tire, last weekends time trials the 408 B body went 11.93 @ 111.4 mph.. Only change, was to remove the huge 17" flex fan and install a couple of electric fans.
Still smiling...

-
Back