408 stroker

-

devonnnc

Reaction score
I am looking to turn my boring 360 to a 408 stroker now i have the block out of the car. waiting to take it to the machinst, wondering if you had any advice on cheap stroker kits, this is a budget build, it would need to be new though and advise is greatly apprechiated

oh, in the distant future i may either want to run nos or a super charger,

Use all forged internals with pistons able to handle boost. You'll want 8.5 to 9 to 1 compression.
Pay a little more for a good kit or pay a lot more later when you add boost/nos because you hurt the motor.

Man, that's a 5000 to 7500 dollar decision,to the flywheel man. Don't rwad the dyno numbers yet. Set a goal, set your pocket book. Persomally,I would start,with chassis first.....

Man, that's a 5000 to 7500 dollar decision,to the flywheel man. Don't rwad the dyno numbers yet. Set a goal, set your pocket book. Personally,I would start,with chassis first.....

I agree, although my spend tally is going to be closer to $10k by the time I have a convertor built. All forged internals, balanced, a little head work, good roller rockers, a nice carb, dyno tuning, good headers, it all adds up fast.

I did my chassis work first also. Big tires, new springs, good brakes, rebuilt front end. 500 hp/500 ft lbs isn't going to do you a bit of good if you're breaking drive train parts or spinning one skinny tire.

My 2 cents. Address the ride first. Front to back. I completely agree with the guys above in going there before the motor and trans. Front suspension and rear suspension, rear end, driveshaft all need to be looked at. Rubber and wheels to keep you on the pavement. You can save yourself some bucks and headache this route. Ever look at Blueprint 408?

A super charger put you into a different ball park.
A well thought out stroker will be plenty.

No such thing as a budget build if you're going to boost it. Period.

the car is a 72 plymouth duster, it is originally a /6, i am doing the conversion, its my first, so far i got the disk break conversion kit, wiring harness, 360 block. now i am in the process of looking for heads, mount, stroker kit, trans, drive line

I bought the Eagle 408 H-beam stroker kit($2000).The kit comes with 4130 4 inch crank,bearing,H-beam rods,pistons and rings.They have different kits available for your application-budget.I agree with others about chassis upgrades first.I would definetly tie the frame together with frame connectors to help stiffen the car for added HP.I made my own for $23,bought the steel from the Metal Supermarket.Best advise is to read up on what others have done...pick your poison.:-D

LOL you do have the same internet we do, get to searchin' and get serious.

There are some very helpful folks on here for sure, but reality in a budget on one of these old dogs is a hard lesson to learn without a bit of homework. You can look at my big block build. I am not going to tell you how much is in that car, but it started as a slant six. I dropped a pile of bones on the ride....and it still isn't rolling. If you do this halfway you are going to break something besides the bank. Nothing about your car from the factory called for power. Take your time and plan the stages of it out very well. It will help you stay busy and spread out the bill. Have fun and try to make it your own. Even my 74 build was a pain and that was a 318 car.

-
Back