408 Stroker

-
but lost a good chunk of torque.
As is always the case of the trade off between single and dual plane. An older member here found it almost equal at the track with his set up and his cam was 10* larger. He had his engine in an import. I forget what it was. It was about a 11 flat car. IIRC

As is always the case of the trade off between single and dual plane. An older member here found it almost equal at the track with his set up and his cam was 10* larger. He had his engine in an import. I forget what it was. It was about a 11 flat car. IIRC
Yup. I’ve decided I’ll be starting off with the Air Gap on my reworked stroker. Not latching onto “stroker needs a single plane” mindset just yet. I’ll find out for myself....for My combo. See what I can extract out of it on the street and at the strip. Then at a later date swap to the M1 and tune as needed for that.....with what I have. Not buying another carb, headers etc etc just because I’m running a single plane. Which ever one does better at 60’, 330’ and the 1/8 and gets the wheels up better on launch likely will be the winner!! Again, will be done with what I already have. There’s theory, ideal, and then reality, it’s got nothing to do with something being wrong with a combo, or someone not knowing what they’re doing. The old “YRMV” sums it up I believe:)

So the bottom line is I should get the TF single plane, and put my 750 mechanical secondary Quick Fuel on it to start. It's not a DD, it's a stock appearing Scat Pack member, with the performance to back it up. I have a NIB MSD E-Curve distributor I bought on sale in 2008. Does anyone have any experience with this dizzy? Please continue to add to my knowledge data base. All positive comments are appreciated. Paul.
Did you get this engine up and running? Did you use the MSD E-curve?

“Generally”....... when you have a combo that has more tq than hp, and especially if the peaks occur at a low-ish rpm....... it’s usually an air flow issue.
You need to have “enough” of everything air flow related(heads, cam, intake, carb, headers) to allow the tq curve to hang on long enough for the math to work out favorably.
Big tq and low hp just means the tq curve falls off fast and/or early in the powerband.

Here’s less peak tq than the previous combo Nat had, yet the curve hangs on long enough to make 60hp more.

992948F1-5B90-47AF-BDB9-45C4ECFF1104.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you get this engine up and running? Did you use the MSD E-curve?
I'm still waiting for my Molnar crank. I did get my TF single plane intake a matching 1" spacer. Covid. I'm waiting for my cam from Racer Brown, too. He's working with my machine shop. All this waiting is killing me. I'm old and getting older. I'm searching for other AMERICAN parts manufacturers. I won't lose the faith, but the past 2 years have been trying. I have some devoping medical conditions, too, but I'm not part of the pity party. More to come from behind enemy lines. Paul.

Last edited:
I did finally get a Lunati solid roller cam,( P/N ends in 733) and have a shipping date of the middle of December for a forged 4" crank. Block is being squared and decked. Geting ready for boring and honing with the torque plate. Machinist measured the E-Curve and his opinion is favorable. Slow progress.

All right, gentlemen, after years of lurking, learning, and saving money, it's time to build my stroker. You serious guys like YR, Rumble, Crackedback and others, be gentle. Car is a numbers matching 1970 Swinger 340 with the build sheet and other factory documentation. I rebuilt the stock motor, but shrink wrapped it and put it in the corner, because I want to run this old girl. I have a 1998 5.9 in the machine shop now. It sonic checked great. I'm planning on a forged (Molnar) crank, H beam rods, and forged pistons in the 10.0 range. I'll be buying the the TrickFlow 190's to top it. I have a set of TTI's, stepped, I plan on using. I'm torn on induction between an Airgap RPM, with a 750 Quickfuel 750 mechanical, or stepping up to the Holley Sniper. My 727 was built by Pat Blaise(RIP) with a 2800 converter. I have an extra 8 3/4 rear I plan on putting a 3.55 Auburn suregrip unit in it. If I could figure out how to put rear discs on it with the SBP wheels, I will. Car will be 90% street driven, on 91 pump gas. I have many othe rparts, like a NIB E-curve distributor, my Quickfuel 4 corner mechanical secondary annular booster carb, an RPM Airgap, and a set of Schumacher anti-blow(?) motor mounts, and 10 years worth of parts I bought when I was working 60-80 hours a week. I'm thinking I need to have the block align honed and decked to 9.600. Any constructive advice is appreciated. I have a few medical conditions, so I'm making this my last and best build. All questions will be answered politely and as quickly as I can. I know I need help picking the right cam, which is the holy grail, but I'm being open minded to all sane advice. Paul.
It's already at 9.600 deck height, all sbm's are from the factory.

It's already at 9.600 deck height, all sbm's are from the factory.
When I built my stroker with a '72 340 block it was taller then 9.60 and machine shop had to deck and square the block to get it to that exact spec. Machine shop first aligned honed the mains and then decked the block off of the main center line. Factory blocks are sloppy.

When I built my stroker with a '72 340 block it was taller then 9.60 and machine shop had to deck and square the block to get it to that exact spec. Machine shop first aligned honed the mains and then decked the block off of the main center line. Factory blocks are sloppy.
I've heard that they are. But in general are they suppose to be 9.600

Correct the factory spec is 9.60 but it is common for them to be taller and not square so in most cases machine shop will have to correct.
I've read that. How far do you think that the block decked height would be off on the average?

I agree 100% with the single plane vs dual plane on a 408 with very good heads. My 408 in my street use Dart with a 4 speed runs 3.23 gears and a single plane manifold. There is no shortage of low end torque on these engines. I believe fuel distribution will be much better with the single plane. I street drive my 408 with a [email protected], .580 lift cam with absolutely no driveability issues.
What do you rev this to?

What do you rev this to?
Due to the hydraulic roller, I limit RPM to around 6200, though it is still pulling like a freight train. However, torque output down low is so great, I don't feel the need to spin it any higher, the is very little loss with the rpm drop during the shift. Again, predominantly at hot street car. If the car was more focused to track time, it would have a solid flat tappet cam. Another point of compression, along with a bigger solid cam and it is a 600+ combo all day long.

I apologize to my FABO family for the radio silence. My wife and I completed the move from Western Washington to central Florida. We're both extremely happy we did it. It was a major PITA, but well worth it. My '70 Swinger 340 made the trip down in an enclosed trailer, and now happily resides in my 5,000 sq ft garage. The original engine and the 408 came down on the moving van. I'll reengage with all the contributors on this thread ASAP. Paul.

I apologize to my FABO family for the radio silence. My wife and I completed the move from Western Washington to central Florida. We're both extremely happy we did it. It was a major PITA, but well worth it. My '70 Swinger 340 made the trip down in an enclosed trailer, and now happily resides in my 5,000 sq ft garage. The original engine and the 408 came down on the moving van. I'll reengage with all the contributors on this thread ASAP. Paul.
5,000 sq ft garage, and no photos??? C'mon man, you know we all need to see this giant shop!

Garage-Mahal!!!!!!

Seen it myself. UN-freaking believable. You guys will lose your minds.

I have the e curve too. Works ok besides Chevy cap. Sits to high hit wiper motor. Have to change out cap and wires for clearance. Like the rev limiter and the curve select-ability. Give it a 6 out of 10.
To answer more questions, I'm thinking 6500 RPM is a good redline for 408 CID. Has anyone tried the billet MSD E-curve distributor, or did I just waste my money?

Orlando?..
No, Deltona. About 23 miles east of New Smyrna Beach, about 45 miles northeast of Orlando. Sorta in the boondocks, which we like after living in the middle of the town in Puget sound. We like living in the sticks. We have a little over 2 1/2 acres, which takes about 2 1/2 hours to mow.

5,000 sq ft garage, and no photos??? C'mon man, you know we all need to see this giant shop!
Photos to come, I promise. Rumblefish was here to pick up the "Z" heads I promised him a couple of years ago. I bled the hydraulic lines on the 2 post lift, It works perfectly now. Today is 94, with the heat index, it's 105 degrees. I used the A/C for the first time today. I love it.

No, Deltona. About 23 miles east of New Smyrna Beach, about 45 miles northeast of Orlando. Sorta in the boondocks, which we like after living in the middle of the town in Puget sound. We like living in the sticks. We have a little over 2 1/2 acres, which takes about 2 1/2 hours to mow.

If I NEVER go to that side of the state again I’ll be happy. That’s one reason why I stopped going to the Nationals over there. That side of the state makes me sick. Plus, in another month or so our gasoline prices will be equal to or greater than California.

Think that through.

Last edited:
Photos to come, I promise. Rumblefish was here to pick up the "Z" heads I promised him a couple of years ago. I bled the hydraulic lines on the 2 post lift, It works perfectly now. Today is 94, with the heat index, it's 105 degrees. I used the A/C for the first time today. I love it.
Move over buddy! Set me up a cot in the corner, I’m moving in!
:rofl:

I need to swing by anyways. It’s been a while.

I was asking because I have relatives in damn near every corner of that state and spend a couple months a year at least there...

-
Back