41 Plymouth Hot Rod Build

-
thats a nice ride , i'd be afraid to drive it . to clean is show only . of course it could be cleaned again .

Darn. I'm still fighting this oil leak and am going to take a day off and go to an auction with friends. I called Kevco yesterday to talk to them about one of their pans and the tech support guy, Josh, gave me a great idea. He said to block off the breather or PCV and take a shop vac and, in blow mode, pressurize the crankcase while squirting soapy water around the leaking area so I can see exactly where the leak is coming from. Then, clean that area as best I can with carb cleaner or similar.

Next put the vacuum in vacuum mode and de-pressurize the crankcase while applying RTV to the area. This will suck the RTV into the leaking area of the seal. Let it set up and give it a try. I'm almost certain it's leaking on the rounded portion of the cover but this will help me find out for certain. I will let you know how this works out. Not sure it's a long term fix but just knowing where the leak is is a big help.

Dang. Somehow it was leaking in the DS upper corner, right where I know I put a bead of RTV. Tried to clean it and suck some more RTV in. We will see,if that works.

The vacuum trick worked? It is no longer leaking. I have no idea how long it will stay that way but, for now, there is not a drop. So, I started doing some more assembly. Got one fender put on today. These fenders have great "speed lines".
0923181359.jpg

0923181359a.jpg

0923181426_HDR.jpg

Took my alignment tech for a "road test" today after alignment. I caught 2nd gear, nailed the throttle and the right rear tire started spinning. He said, "You need some "oh ****" handles in this thing!" I haven't put the seatbelts in yet.

Took my alignment tech for a "road test" today after alignment. I caught 2nd gear, nailed the throttle and the right rear tire started spinning. He said, "You need some "oh ****" handles in this thing!" I haven't put the seatbelts in yet.

LOL

I want to put in a plug for Chris and the crew at Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie, PA. These guys do a great job and they make sure you are happy. I had a couple of fitment issues after trying to assemble my lights and they took them back, stripped them, fitted them and rechromed them at no extra charge to me. They do great work and will continue to be my plater of choice. I always say, "Cheap chrome ain't good and good chrome ain't cheap." These guys do excellent work on diecast potmetal and everything else and good platers are hard to find. Advanced Custom Chrome : Home

I'd like to put in a plug for my upholsterer, Rick Kennedy. He did a great job on the seat and is almost finished with the panels. Next up is the burgundy carpet.
1031181109_HDR.jpg
1029181657a_HDR.jpg

Also, here is a tech tidbit for those of you thinking about adapting an AX-15 to an LA engine. I used a 3.9 flywheel and clutch and had it all balanced to my engine. Unfortunately, I selected the pilot bushing shown in one photo and forgot to check shaft engagement. After a few hundred mile, I developed a vibration. Upon disassembly, I found that what little of the mainshaft penetrated the bushing has disintegrated it. Fortunatley, I caught it early. You should use the bearing shown here which is pressed into a slug that fits in the large counterbore of the crankshaft. With this bearing, you fully support the mainshaft. After reassembly, everything went back to being smooth as silk.
1116181535 (1).jpg
FB_IMG_1542716298332.jpg

How's the oil leak doing?

Well, since I had to pull the engine to fix the aforementioned pilot bearing, I installed a new one piece pan gasket and, using my hard gained experience, I put sealant at all the correct places and I have no leaks.

The other fix was not leaking yet but I didn't trust it forever. You could see where the rtv got pulled in by the vacuum. It's still a good trick but since I have to remove the entire front end of the car to remove the engine and tranny, I wanted everything to be as well done as possible.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I`d say u need a Detroit locker !!

Well, I got my trunk panels today and should get the door panels later this week. We finally got the carpet and binding, so he can start on the home stretch. I think the trunk will look great with the burgundy carpet.
1217181427.jpg

-
Back