410 stroker build?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a while, but Im back with big plans for my 65 gt dart..

I want to build a stroker small block. I originally wanted to run some W-2 heads, but it appears that no one makes headers for this in the early a-body flavor and custom headers are out of the budget. So i searched around, and it appears that the magnum heads flow almost as well as the w2s.. Are magnums a direct bolt on to earlier small blocks?

those are magnum R/T heads...not your OEM magnum heads...

and mopar quit making those heads...

Hey guys, its been a while, but Im back with big plans for my 65 gt dart..

I want to build a stroker small block. I originally wanted to run some W-2 heads, but it appears that no one makes headers for this in the early a-body flavor and custom headers are out of the budget. So i searched around, and it appears that the magnum heads flow almost as well as the w2s.. Are magnums a direct bolt on to earlier small blocks?

How much HP are you looking for?
And what is your budget??

If you can find econo w2's they have a dual bolt pattern on the ex. side that will allow you to run std. headers.
If you can't find them, Eddy heads are next in price vs. HP. They are way cheaper than Indy's when compared both OOTB and ported, but will make less HP depending on the rest of the build.
What do you want for a cam, roller, hyd. roller, solid Ft, or maybe Hyd. Ft.??
Give us more details and what your plans are for the car.

I would like to make somewhere around 500hp.. And for the budget, there isnt really one, but the more money spent, the longer it will take to get back on the road.

I would really like to run a hyd. roller cam.

The car is gunna be a weenkend carshow/driver that I can hopefully drive to the track and run some good numbers then make it back home in one piece..

The edelbrock heads are all you need. They will work very well with the low rpm of the 4" crank and hyd. roller cam.
10:1, cam about 240's @.050 and .600 lift, ported eddy heads, 950Hp carb, 1 7/8 header or 1 3/4 whichever fits better (you can cam the engine for either header) Hughes 1.6 rockers and fit the heads with Comp's 26918 beehive springs and you'll make about 510-520HP depending on the amount of porting the heads get.

that sounds good.. but would a 'new set' of eddy heads cost more than a set of econo w-2s?

that sounds good.. but would a 'new set' of eddy heads cost more than a set of econo w-2s?

I buy eddy heads bare, then outfit them and port them. They are roughly 2200.00 complete with beehive springs, valvejob, surface cut, manely or ferrea valves, all port work and some chamber work.
Fully ported are 2550.00 setup the same.

Econo heads will vary but most of them are already worked on and will come complete with springs and valves but will be used and who know's what kind of shape they'll be in.
If you can purchase them for around 1000.00 bare and new, the cost in the heads themselves will be about the same. The rocker gear will be more though...

Yea, so w-2s use different valvetrain stuff?

Hey man post some pictures of your car. FYI PettyblueDart on here is doing a great job on his 66. Great reference point with lots of pictures. He is building a stroker right now. That will be my plan as well eventually.

econo w2 rockers have offsetted intakes left and rights...

only company now selling econo rockers is harland sharpe..they will set you back about a 1000.00

as brian said...they eddies will get you there cheaper too..

Alrghty.. This is my baby. I picked her up more than 2 years ago from a guy for 1300 bucks. It came with an extra motor, a 67 440 that came out of an imperial cop car, and its matching 727 trans, which i later sold for 500 bucks to a family in washington for there 67 coronet. since then though, ive put disc brakes on the front, a new interior in, which in the pics is very dusty, and a few other little things to maybe get her road worthy..

In september of last year, a buddy of my dads offered to make the car straight and in primer as a traid for a lathe we had lieing around the garrage, and we made the deal. it took more than a year for the car to get back, but it was way worth the wait.. While all of this was happening though, I aquired my uncles 63 chevy pickup, and built a quick revving 283 for it, and am now driving it.. well untill the trans blew up at the track as of last week:angry7: but its a bowtie... so yea. haha

Ive always wanted to make this dart a one of a kind hotrod that represends what mopar stands for.. Massively Over Powered And Respected.

Anyways, Here she sits as of 10 min. ago. being blocksanded. and incredably dusty...

DSC04640 (Small).JPG

DSC04641 (Small).JPG

DSC04642 (Small).JPG

DSC04643 (Small).JPG

DSC04644 (Small).JPG

DSC04645 (Small).JPG

DSC04646 (Small).JPG

DSC04648 (Small).JPG

DSC04650 (Small).JPG

DSC04651 (Small).JPG

looks a bit scruffy atm, but I also have an idea what Im going to paint it, that is after I get a drivers side front fender, and a 4 inch cowl hood to fit that big motor...:glasses8:

a few more here... loading her on the trailer for body work... just to see how shes come along so far...

DSC04076 (Medium).JPG

DSC04077 (Medium).JPG

DSC04078 (Medium).JPG

DSC04079 (Medium).JPG

Yea, its definatly a project.. All I need is more $$$. :afro:

do these heads have good potential? price vs hp comaired to the eddies?

LOL.. Some more info would me much appriciated 8)

BTW, I think I have a cam in mind for my build...

Its a solid roller, but my camquest6 states its a good cam...

#20-471-9
.242/.248 duration at .050
.560/.576 lift
110 lsa

whatcha think?

Also, Im thinking about building a 318 stroker insted of a 360... to be different and also, 318= .040 over + 4inch stroke = 392ci... A mopar number :)

-
Back