413 bb or 408 sb?

-

mater

Reaction score
Hey all I am going to rebuild my scamp over the winter and I am collecting up parts which brings me to my question. I have got to great offers on engines and may take both but only one can go in the car, one buddy offered me a 413 with auto trans out of a 70s motorhome with 36000 original miles on it for 300 dollars but the motor home is ate up that's why he is scraping it. Then my other buddy has a 360 stroked to a 408 in pieces with all parts for the bottom end to put it together just needs heads and a mildly built auto transmission for 1100 dollars, both great deals just don't know which way I want to go sb or bb. The car is just going to be a weekend cruiser and will see a little bit of action but mostly on the street. just looking for some opinions what do yall think?

Post a pic of the BB motor home motor, some had funky timing chain / water pumps that dont work on a car very well, also take a pic of the transmission tail shaft, it may not work at all in a car, 413 were only made until the mid-60's.
Can you hear the 413 run? If not keep in mind that 413 pistons are very expensive compared to all other mopar engines.

Given those two - go the 408 route. Honestly the 4" stroke A body combo is a big block beater anyway.

build a 408. you will save some cash and weight.

408 should be better power than a stock 413. Its also lighter and a easier install in my book.

JOE

yeah all work done on the block, all parts are new, eagle crank not sure about the cam h beams forged pistons, he has a set of regular 360 heads just needs valves and everything, I was leaning towards the 408, I don't know to much about the bb just sounded like a good deal.

Ive been into muscle cars forever and mopars have always been my fav but this is the first one I have had the opportunity to build

the 413 will eat a budget quickly buying parts, first your oil pan, engine mounts water pump and transmission are all different and won't work with a car

then you have the power steering if you plan on running that, kick down is different and so on

Is that Eagle crank cast?
If so you better read up on it.

I will find out sireland67. Thanks for the help everyone I believe the vote goes to the 408

I'm in the process of building a 408 right now. Will be 600+hp on pump gas. So as they say "big block eater" lol
Gonna be bad if it beats my roller big block dart. Lol

yeah the guy that I got the car off of and has the 408 also has a 68 dart with a 440 in it

Be patient,ask LOTS of questions. If you know someone,with Mopar experience,Con/buy them lunch/ pay/handcuff,drag them along. Money ahead,in the long run.

Nothing beats the look of a BB in a A-body.....it just screams barn burner....But with that being said.....shoe'ing a BB into a A-body is somewhat of an experience and not many people like the taste it leaves in their mouths after having to purchase lots of special parts and whatnots.....Plus you better have a neighborhood kid on hand to help with engine maintenance....Some places are tight....I would honestly go with the SB.....price per performance and the overall journey won't leave you asking how did I talk myself into this hole.......plus you could sleeper the build.use some 50's style mufflers to somewhat quiet the note, paint it simple and slap some 273 or 318 badges on it and go prowl'n... Keep us updated of your progress....

-
Back